"Open Enrollment" -- is it fair?

GoBigRed

Interesting that you think my perspective is different. I went to, and sent my kids to, Private schools. All the rest of my family has utilized the public school system in Grayson County. If you think I don't know about disparity among counties, you're mistaken. I've watched Grayson County's football program struggle for YEARS. It has nothing to do with numbers, because it's the only high school in the county. The kids are more into basketball than anything. One of my brother's friends played football there....he had a lot to say about the lack of support from the community, the school and the students, as compared to basketball.

Yes, I'm biased, but I've come by that from my experience raising my children, and watching what my brother and sisters went through in their school. And, it wasn't so long ago my brother graduated...4 years...so don't think that I'm talking decades ago! :lol:

Anyway....many of us have more experience than you know regarding this particular issue.

Obviously you know more about the open enrollment than I, but you have helped me understand how it works and you have answered several of my questions. I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this, I just had to get this topic off my chest and see what people thought about it. Christian County is a huge football school, if you put a school like that or a school like Grayson county in Louisville, it would help them out. It is just an advantage that the metro schools have and there should be some way to control it, thats all I'm saying.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think to not allow it is UN-fair, and unconstitutional. Because of where parents live, kids are forced to go to the "local" school? Doubt it!!!

Yeah, I can see where it would seem unfair when there are so many schools to choose from in the Louisville Metro area. But in most counties you have 2 schools to choose from tops, it is crazy to tell us that we should have to move to Louisville if we don't like it.

Yeah, I can see where it would seem unfair when there are so many schools to choose from in the Louisville Metro area. But in most counties you have 2 schools to choose from tops, it is crazy to tell us that we should have to move to Louisville if we don't like it.

By the same token, it's crazy to tell those that live in Lousiville that they can't run their county education system the way they see fit.

By the same token, it's crazy to tell those that live in Lousiville that they can't run their county education system the way they see fit.

I guess you're right, I never thought of it that way. This is really impossible to control because a county like Grayson could, for example, get a new Car Manufacturing plant and several thousands of new citizens would come into the area, thus bringing in several new students. This happens in Ft. Campbell, the war is on now, the economy down in Clarksville TN is booming and so is the base and now you see Ft. Campbell really doing well in football.

I guess you're right, I never thought of it that way. This is really impossible to control because a county like Grayson could, for example, get a new Car Manufacturing plant and several thousands of new citizens would come into the area, thus bringing in several new students. This happens in Ft. Campbell, the war is on now, the economy down in Clarksville TN is booming and so is the base and now you see Ft. Campbell really doing well in football.

That was my only point to you. I didn't intend for that remark to be an indictment against you. I've spent the past 8-10 years coming to terms with this and am comfortable with how things are. I don't always like it, but it's much easier to work toward getting better.

My school of choice has not yet defeated (nor even played for that matter) one of the big 3. It's not the fault of the Big 3, but the fault of Conner for not continuing to win in the playoffs. I've been teaching my sons to work toward getting better to compete with these storied programs. Maybe we'll get the chance this year.

That was my only point to you. I didn't intend for that remark to be an indictment against you. I've spent the past 8-10 years coming to terms with this and am comfortable with how things are. I don't always like it, but it's much easier to work toward getting better.

My school of choice has not yet defeated (nor even played for that matter) one of the big 3. It's not the fault of the Big 3, but the fault of Conner for not continuing to win in the playoffs. I've been teaching my sons to work toward getting better to compete with these storied programs. Maybe we'll get the chance this year.

It's all we can do, deal with it and get bigger, faster, stronger each year. I guess since I have only been watching HS football for 4 years I really haven't adjusted to way that things are, but I am learning, :).