"Open Enrollment" -- is it fair?

GoBigRed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points, without em Mayfield wouldn't even have a chance. But where is the tradition in a school like Holy Cross, doesn't look like they have been around very long.

Without the benefits I mentioned, NO program would get very far...even with a plethora of "bodies".

This not true...Louisville Central is a 3A team and came very close to beating Boyle County in the playoffs last season.

I am really having trouble with your logic in this discussion. When you willingly handicap yourself through the considered choices you have made, how can you claim the result as unfair? To me this is like tying one hand behind your back and blindfolding yourself before enterring a boxing match. :rolleyes:

I am not talking about myself, I would like my child to play sports but it will be choice, I won't force it upon him. I am talking about all the other schools, I am sorry about my lack of knowledge about 3A in Louisville, for that I apologize, I just never hear about any of those schools, maybe fairdale.

Good points, without em Mayfield wouldn't even have a chance. But where is the tradition in a school like Holy Cross, doesn't look like they have been around very long.

Actually Holy Cross is the resultant merger of two private schools, Bishop David and Angela Merici, which were both around since about 1960. Bishop David was always a strong contender in football, and that tradition has been carried over to Holy Cross. This is not an overnight deal. :cool:

Actually Holy Cross has been around since the early sixties. At that time it was Bishop David High School, an all-boys school. BD merged with Angela Merici to form Holy Cross. For most of their football history they competed in the upper level (either 3A or 4A) and they have a rich history and football tradition. They used to compete successfully against both Trinity and St. X with a much smaller enrollment.

It would really only work in heavier populated areas, but I agree. I am very envious of the choices being presented in the Louisville schools...

Parents should have the right to do what they think is best for their kids regardless. I'm not saying get rid of the transfer rule. I'm saying give your kid what you percieve to be the best opportunity to succede in life. I've made my choices for my kids accordingly, everyone should be afforded the same oportunities or what they percieve is the best opportunities for theirs.

We have open enrollment in Simpson County.

Regarding the impact of tradition: Look across the state at the teams that are consistently competing for their respective district and regional title. They are the schools that have played football the longest.

In the west it's Paducah Tilghman, Mayfield, Hopkinsville, Bowling Green, Franklin-Simpson, Glasgow, Owensboro. All of these schools have played football for 50 to 80 years.

The benefits are the result of our community deciding what was best for our kids, and working to make that happen. Because we have a larger population, of course we have the advantage of numbers. But, that is what an urban center will have regardless of where it's located. Lexington has a numbers advantage, population-wise, Bowling Green does as well. I'm not sure what the district restrictions or policies are in those cities, but can you deny that Warren Central or Paul Dunbar doesn't have a numbers advantage over, say, Graves County as well?

The fact of the matter is, we do have benefits, and there's nothing unfair about those benefits.

The fact is that there is never going to be a fair and level playing field, because if there were, every team would win every game, and no school would have any advantage over another.

The fact of the matter is that life isn't fair, and we all make do the best we can in the situation we're dealt.

Thanks, RM! That is the argument I usually try to make when threads like this come about (about once every 3-4 months). I live in a large population area (Boone Co.) that doesn't allow for open enrollment. The schools here in Boone Co. (for the most part anyway) simply roll with it and try to get better. What Louisville and Jefferson Co. do with their school systems is up to them and that is as it should be. If I thought there was an advantage to this that I needed to get for my sons, I would have moved there. I don't feel strongly enough about it to worry as I like where I live too much. Clearly, there are 2 schools of thought, but I've chosen to teach my sons not to expect fair, but only expect a chance. It's up to them whether they succeed or not.

Thanks, RM! That is the argument I usually try to make when threads like this come about (about once every 3-4 months). I live in a large population area (Boone Co.) that doesn't allow for open enrollment. The schools here in Boone Co. (for the most part anyway) simply roll with it and try to get better. What Louisville and Jefferson Co. do with their school systems is up to them and that is as it should be. If I thought there was an advantage to this that I needed to get for my sons, I would have moved there. I don't feel strongly enough about it to worry as I like where I live too much. Clearly, there are 2 schools of thought, but I've chosen to teach my sons not to expect fair, but only expect a chance. It's up to them whether they succeed or not.

True dat. But I'm not sure that academically or environment wise there is a bad choice between the three schools in Boone Co. Athletically I'm surprised they are not more successful than they are, but hey they do have 3 of the 4 playoff teams most years..

All that stuff is great, but this is a football forum, not an academics forum. I do have a problem that some schools are that much greater in football than other ones and I was just trying to figure out some reasons why and it is tough to get an unbiased answer so far cause everyone on here has been from "the 'ville" except the ladiesbasketball coach. I have seen both sides, rural and urban so I have a different perspective than a lot of you.

Interesting that you think my perspective is different. I went to, and sent my kids to, Private schools. All the rest of my family has utilized the public school system in Grayson County. If you think I don't know about disparity among counties, you're mistaken. I've watched Grayson County's football program struggle for YEARS. It has nothing to do with numbers, because it's the only high school in the county. The kids are more into basketball than anything. One of my brother's friends played football there....he had a lot to say about the lack of support from the community, the school and the students, as compared to basketball.

Yes, I'm biased, but I've come by that from my experience raising my children, and watching what my brother and sisters went through in their school. And, it wasn't so long ago my brother graduated...4 years...so don't think that I'm talking decades ago! :lol:

Anyway....many of us have more experience than you know regarding this particular issue.