Joined a Fraternity

saint4

:clap:

Bravo. Fraternities are even bigger ripoffs than the campus bookstores.

Contrary to what the frats/sorors want you to believe, you CAN actually make friends outside of an organization.

Why on Earth would someone pay good money to make friends when they could do it for free? Beyond me.

I didn't join one, but the picture you are painting is far from reality.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't join one, but the picture you are painting is far from reality.

Not during rush week. I had two frats that were actively pursuing me: Kappa Sigs and Delta Sigs. Each one tried to tell us that we would miss out on the best parties unless we joined their frats. That was pretty much their only selling point.

I'm not a big fan of fraternities or sororities, especially the ones at NKU since I have the most contact with them. I think there are a lot of organizations and ways to meet people other than these, and I feel like some of my friends who joined them at the beginning of college cut themselves off from other people because of the "cliqueness" that developed. That being said, ATO is probably the best you could have done. They had some nice guys, some not so nice ones, but overall pretty good. Good for you to not go the PIKE route. That is a laughable group. And I know people will tell you not to say frat, and you'll probably become one of the ones who starts to tell people that, but it's SO much fun to call it a frat to guys in them. A guy I dated was in one, and he literally would get angry and not talk to me if I called it a frat. Needless to say, we didn't work out. :) Have fun and enjoy college!

Not during rush week. I had two frats that were actively pursuing me: Kappa Sigs and Delta Sigs. Each one tried to tell us that we would miss out on the best parties unless we joined their frats. That was pretty much their only selling point.

I had one try to get me to join in college, and I turned it down immediately. I was never interested.

I had one try to get me to join in college, and I turned it down immediately. I was never interested.

I actually went to the Kappa Sig rush party. It was incredibly boring and uncomfortable. We later found out that they were shuttling people to a house off-campus so they could "party harder." After being invited to take the shuttle and go "party harder" we decided to go back to the dorm and chill on our own.

I had some people try and talk me into a sorority when I first got to NKU. I had just moved to the area shortly before. I was dating a guy in a frat and would hang out with him and his friends out near the middle of campus, and sometimes they would join up with the girls (some sorority there that was trying to get me to join, they're green and pink lol) and I kid you not, the girls were so unbelievably snobby and so unwelcoming to outsiders I was turned off immediately and it only further tarnished the image I had of the greek thing. My friends who join groups that aim more towards their interests seem to be the most happy and most welcoming and that is more the type of thing I like seeing.

My best friends the president of a fraternity, my girlfriend is in a sorority, both at NKU. For me it just wasn't something I was interested in, but it can really be a great tool if you utilize it that way. I have mutual friends with MJ and some of his brothers, as well as ATO, and DZ with the ladies. I'd say that I respect what the Greek life can and has done for people. but it just doesn't really interest me. Last night my best friend and girlfriend got to talking about Greek Life twice in one night, and both times I found myself leaving the room within about 5 minutes. Just doesn't interest me in that regard.

:clap:

Bravo. Fraternities are even bigger ripoffs than the campus bookstores.

Contrary to what the frats/sorors want you to believe, you CAN actually make friends outside of an organization.

Why on Earth would someone pay good money to make friends when they could do it for free? Beyond me.

If you think that joining a fraternity is merely to simply make friends, then I must suggest that you are very mistaken and may not know as much about them as you would like to believe.

Fraternities and Sororities are for some, they are not for all. Some are very well run and some are not. Some provide you with more than just social events, some do not. Just like any other organization, its not for everyone.

For people like me on this site who know nothing about Fraternities, could someone explain the benefits in joining one other than to "make new friends"???

T-shirts...and beer...:lol:. But you can get those for much cheaper elsewhere. I'm not sure what other benefits there are, but I'm sure someone else will tell us.

Those of you who are saying joining a fraternity is only "paying for friends", do not understand.

I am an alumni of Pi Kappa Alpha and loved every minute of it.

Help us understand then. I had plenty of friends and fun in college, what would a fraternity have done for me other than take my money and give me a t-shirt?

Academics, 50% of non greek students graduate, while 70% of greek students do.

Leadership, fraternities give you chances to better prepare for a job after graduation.

Social activities, activities planned well in advance allowing you to meet a lot of other people.

Community service, as each fraternity has a Philanthropy they give to.

Athletics, each fraternity member has lots of chances to compete in many different sports.

Career networking, chances are that an alumni of your fraternity may be able to help you get a job and in todays job market every advantage helps.

Brotherhood, knowing that whatever is happening in your college life you have a group of people supporting you.