Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol

MJAlltheWay24

I loved it. It was my favorite one- tons better than the Da Vinci Code and a much more logical ending than Angels & Demons. It was nice to have a well fleshed out villain for once that had actual motivation for being a villain. I felt like it was the first time we had a well rounded and intriguing foil for Langdon. I also liked that it wasn't completely unbelievable. No flying Pope in this one!

The only thing I would have done differently is worked the last 50 pages of exposition into the narrative prior to the climax. Without giving away the ending I think the scene on the one monument could have been worked in better prior to the final climatic scene, but the ending (last chapter) was nicely done and well placed.

Dan Brown is no Shakespeare but he knows how to stick his formula and tweak it enough each time to make it feel the same, but fresh at the same time. I was a little annoyed early on we just getting another run-of-the-mill freak villain with a shocking twist ending, but I ended up very pleasantly surprised.

:thumb::thumb: :thumb: Thumbs up out of four for me.

Read Chapter 11 on my lunch hour.

• 2 months later...

So, I finally had a chance to read The Lost Symbol. It was probably the fastest book I ever read. Started last Wednesday and finished it on Saturday.

I would have to say it's probably my favorite book he's written. I hate to bring this thread back from the dead but I thought maybe more would have read it by now.

So, I finally had a chance to read The Lost Symbol. It was probably the fastest book I ever read. Started last Wednesday and finished it on Saturday.

I would have to say it's probably my favorite book he's written. I hate to bring this thread back from the dead but I thought maybe more would have read it by now.

Read it and loved it. I think I liked Angels and Demons better though.

Just got done with chapter 21. Love it! I think his stories are great because they involve alot of history. But this is fiction with neat little history lessons intertwined. Like the Apothoesis of Washington. I was all over that looking up the facts and DB uses those things so well.