Why the Memphis investigation is good for me as a UK fan.

mexitucky

Ever since the Camby incident, I felt that Calipari didn't pass the smell test. Now there are issues w/ test scores, which again is a smudge on Calipari's image, regardless of being cleared by the NCAA. So why is this good? It's simple, my greatest fear w/ Calipari was that he and/or his connections in the recruiting ciricuit would reap great rewards at a tremendous cost. However, w/ this, Cal is under an even more powerful microscope w/ the NCAA. That means that any success that UK has will come about as honestly as they would under any other coach in the country. Now when he wins, nobody will be able to question how he got his players, b/c the NCAA will jump at every chance to punish him. as a result, the future success of UK will be legimatized.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is the best possible perspective a UK fan could have. At the same time, a non UK fan, such as myself could and will easily point out the 3 best incoming recruits Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe all academically qualified after after they committed to UK. While the average UK fan will likely have your perspective, the non UK fan such as myself trusts anything touched by Calipari even less. Some call it hate and jealousy, I call it reality. I hope for UK fans sake, that all this is nothing like a majority of UK fans want to believe. Time will tell......

I think that is the best possible perspective a UK fan could have. At the same time, a non UK fan, such as myself could and will easily point out the 3 best incoming recruits Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe all academically qualified after after they committed to UK. While the average UK fan will likely have your perspective, the non UK fan such as myself trusts anything touched by Calipari even less. Some call it hate and jealousy, I call it reality. I hope for UK fans sake, that all this is nothing like a majority of UK fans want to believe. Time will tell......

The NCAA clears a player to play. The NCAA coach of a school they may or may not attend has nothing to gain and everything to lose by having a player cheat to get into school. This isn't a difficult concept.

The NCAA clears a player to play. The NCAA coach of a school they may or may not attend has nothing to gain and everything to lose by having a player cheat to get into school. This isn't a difficult concept.

If it were only as cut and dried as you suggest.

Okay, so what you are saying is that the NCAA coach has absolutely no idea that the kid he is recruiting is having trouble with his standardized test? Not likely, IMO, if that coach is recruiting that kid. That kid's eligibility should be one of the coach's first concerns.

Secondly, I think that this is the time when "friends of the program" come into the picture.

I think, IMO, it is naive to think that coaches don't know exactly what is going on when it comes to kids and their academics. And if they don't know, that tells me that they really don't care and IMO, a coach that doesn't care about how the kid will perform academically in college is not that good of a coach at all.

Okay, so what you are saying is that the NCAA coach has absolutely no idea that the kid he is recruiting is having trouble with his standardized test? Not likely, IMO, if that coach is recruiting that kid. That kid's eligibility should be one of the coach's first concerns.

Secondly, I think that this is the time when "friends of the program" come into the picture.

I think, IMO, it is naive to think that coaches don't know exactly what is going on when it comes to kids and their academics. And if they don't know, that tells me that they really don't care and IMO, a coach that doesn't care about how the kid will perform academically in college is not that good of a coach at all.

To quote something GT once said...what is the kid going to say, "coach I'm screwed"?

If the kids has parents....the coach should be able to found out where the kid stands academically, I would like to think, anyways.

That's a rather large IF. Also, IF the kid does have parents do they care about their kids academics? A lot of these kids don't grow up w/ white picket fences surrounding their yards.

Here's basically all I'm saying. Calipari is an established coach not looking to make a name for himself. He has enough money for his grandkids to never work and has a chance to earn enough that their grandkids never need to work. Why throw away future earnings, his legacy, and destroy a program by having a kid illegally get in to school? Now say you're the "uncle" of a great player. You're broke and out of work. Your nephew is struggling to make grades and you know he may not test well. What would prevent you from finding any way possible to get him into a big time school?

After all of this, do you not think that Wall and Bledsoe will be looked into??? Like I said, the Memphis investigation has placed Calipari as Public Enemy #1. They don't have enough to nail him, yet, so they're biding their time. Rest assured, if Wall, Orton, or Bledsoe are not clean, we will know before the season starts.

Here's basically all I'm saying. Calipari is an established coach not looking to make a name for himself. He has enough money for his grandkids to never work and has a chance to earn enough that their grandkids never need to work. Why throw away future earnings, his legacy, and destroy a program by having a kid illegally get in to school? Now say you're the "uncle" of a great player. You're broke and out of work. Your nephew is struggling to make grades and you know he may not test well. What would prevent you from finding any way possible to get him into a big time school?

:thumb:

After all of this, do you not think that Wall and Bledsoe will be looked into??? Like I said, the Memphis investigation has placed Calipari as Public Enemy #1. They don't have enough to nail him, yet, so they're biding their time. Rest assured, if Wall, Orton, or Bledsoe are not clean, we will know before the season starts.
:thumb: I think all the new incoming players will be checked out more so than normal with all that is happening with Memphis St.

They don't have anything on him or they would be using it. Seems like everyone forgets this whole Memphis thing started because of the womens golf program not the basketball program. They checked into all the sports and that is all they found in the basketball world. The media is getting what they want out of this. Putting thoughts into everyones head like this is about Cal but he is the small potato in the investigation. Womens golf is not even mentioned on the tv making it sound like Cal is the focus of the problem.:deadhorse: