Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why the Memphis investigation is good for me as a UK fan.

Featured Replies

Call me naive, but I really don't know how one goes about cheating on a standardized test. With all of the monitoring that goes on at ACT and SAT test sites, it seems like it would be pretty hard to cheat. Is it being suggested that some people are being paid off to look the other way?

 

Again...serious questions. I really don't know all the ways that cheating is possible. Can someone please explain?

Edited by 20/20Hindsight

  • Replies 53
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Call me naive, but I really don't know how one goes about cheating on a standardized test. With all of the monitoring that goes on at ACT and SAT tests, it seems like it would be pretty hard to cheat? Is it being suggested that some people are being paid off to look the other way?

 

Again...serious questions. I really don't know all the ways that cheating is possible. Can someone please explain?

 

It's been almost 20 years for me, but I think they use a drivers license or some kind of ID to gain entrance into the exam center. I guess make a fake ID and fill in that person's information on the test? That's all I could think of. That or like you suggested pay off the person verifying identification and then fill in their personal information on the test.

Following the rules and making sure my nephew has the grades so he can be eligible would have been a priority when he was a freshman in high school. D-1 prospects don't magically appear in their senior year of high school. And no coach can stop "friends of the program" when they want something. Unfortunately, the head coach will suffer for not being able to control the "friends of the program".

 

Just out of curiosity, do you guys not think that WWW is capable of making sure players test scores are the eligible scores? I'm not saying he did it, but I would think he is capable of making sure someone like Derrick Rose has an acceptable SAT score and he seems to have the type of capability to pull that off rather successfully.

 

Ok I'm going to make it more simple. WWW and Cal already are rich, have huge connections, and a legacy to guard. Derek Rose was a kid that needed an avenue to play college ball. Who is more likely to knowingly cheat the system?

 

There are kids in Northern Kentucky the last few years that are capable of playing Division 1 basketball. None from that school have made it yet and at least one Senior from next year will not be eligible. They've known for a while he was capable of playing D1. It happens.

I say so...

 

Can you give us a guess at what percentage of top 200 kids struggle to qualify or qualify late? Or how many wait until late to take the tests?

Can you give us a guess at what percentage of top 200 kids struggle to qualify or qualify late? Or how many wait until late to take the tests?

 

I don't know every kid, so doing that wouldn't be fair. I will say the best of the best are know early in the process, but the rest are on the radar if they are lucky after their sophomore year. By then A LOT of damage can be done in terms of getting past the clearinghouse. It happens all the time...

I don't know every kid, so doing that wouldn't be fair. I will say the best of the best are know early in the process, but the rest are on the radar if they are lucky after their sophomore year. By then A LOT of damage can be done in terms of getting past the clearinghouse. It happens all the time...

 

I think some people overlook the family around some of these kids and just assume they should qualify b/c they knew they were good at basketball. Just in the 9th region one of my good friends a few years ago said something that I'll never forget. Some kids parents don't go to every game and go out to dinner after. Some kids walk home and are the parents to their younger sibblings. If you are raised in an environment that doesn't care about schooling how are you supposed to understand the importance?

I don't know every kid, so doing that wouldn't be fair. I will say the best of the best are know early in the process, but the rest are on the radar if they are lucky after their sophomore year. By then A LOT of damage can be done in terms of getting past the clearinghouse. It happens all the time...

 

Do you think it has become a lot bigger of an issue b/c of not being able to go straight to the league?

Do you think it has become a lot bigger of an issue b/c of not being able to go straight to the league?

Not really. That was just the short cut a lot of kids and their families took before not getting drafted and drifting into "Bolivian".

 

I could go on forever on this topic. Sounds like a good podcast once I get home from vacation on the 21st... :D

I will begin by saying that I am tickled pink about UK's recent basketball hire. 90% of the coaches out there would be an improvement over Billy Clyde, but UK hit the lottery in their hiring of John Calipari.

 

That being said, Coach Cal has always operated in the "gray area", since back in his UMass days. He has had great success in recruiting and is parlaying his landing of Derrick Rose into landing the likes of Tyreke Evans at Memphis and John Wall at Kentucky. I think it is part of his make up to operate in that gray area without overstepping the boundary into "illegal".

 

I do not think that changes now that he is in the highest profile of program at the University of Kentucky. It is in his blood.

 

Also, I think his next creative, trend setting move is to land a Yao Ming type talent from his focus over in China. Coach Cal is no dummy and there is some method to his China madness.

No one said that they gather around in a room and plot. You are one to talk about tinted glasses if you don't think members of the media are out to find anything they can on Cal and will do and say anything to try and discredit him. I don't think all members of the media do but there are several out there that fall into this category.

 

Milford sure sounds like he believes this. A lot of other UK fans do, as well.

 

The thing is, the media would do this for any big-name coach -- not just Calipari. Kentucky fans, however, like to think UK is so important that everyone is out to get them.

 

I think the media knows a good story when they see one and obviously, they aren't making this stiff up. The media is just doing their job.

 

:thumb:

Not really. That was just the short cut a lot of kids and their families took before not getting drafted and drifting into "Bolivian".

 

I could go on forever on this topic. Sounds like a good podcast once I get home from vacation on the 21st... :D

I'll be looking for it!
  • Author
I guess I have a hard time following the logic that the more old dirt that is dug up directly or indirectly on Coach Calipari, the better it is for UK.

 

I never said that it was better for UK. I was saying that it was better for me as a fan because I can trust the results. I looked at Calipari, and his amazing recruiting class, the same way that I looked at Bonds during the 2002 World Series. He looks awesome, but this can't be right. Now, if Calipari does anything that the NCAA can claim as a rules violation, he will be toast. Therefore, I can enjoy the success at UK and know that it was not the fruit of illegal actions.

  • Author
Milford sure sounds like he believes this. A lot of other UK fans do, as well.

 

The thing is, the media would do this for any big-name coach -- not just Calipari. Kentucky fans, however, like to think UK is so important that everyone is out to get them.

 

 

 

:thumb:

 

W/ UK's past history, they will always be under the microscope. I think its fair for fans to fell a little paranoid.

W/ UK's past history, they will always be under the microscope. I think its fair for fans to fell a little paranoid.

 

Only if you think it's fair to blame the cop for busting you for driving drunk.

Only if you think it's fair to blame the cop for busting you for driving drunk.

But you have to be drunk for that to happen. Cal hasn't been proven drunk yet, or even drinking for that matter.:ohbrother:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.