Republican U.S. Senator Arlen Specter in talks to switch parties

Was Specter at one time a Democrat, became a Republican and now has switched back to being a Democrat? If this is true, he is nothing more than a political opportuntist. To switch parties once I can see that happening as a person changes as they get older, their views change, maybe their party changes, but twice, political opportuntist.

I do not see the Dems as being all inclusive. They do not like Christians, especially those who do not like abortion or homosexuality, they do not like people who want to drill for more oil and like big vechiles, they do not like people who want to restrict illegal immigration, they do not like people who want smaller government or lower taxes, there are vast differences between the 2 parties.

The Dems talk of moderates, but they are only moderates if they vote with them. A person cannot be a moderate if they vote against the Dems agenda.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Specter at one time a Democrat, became a Republican and now has switched back to being a Democrat? If this is true, he is nothing more than a political opportuntist. To switch parties once I can see that happening as a person changes as they get older, their views change, maybe their party changes, but twice, political opportuntist.

I do not see the Dems as being all inclusive. They do not like Christians, especially those who do not like abortion or homosexuality, they do not like people who want to drill for more oil and like big vechiles, they do not like people who want to restrict illegal immigration, they do not like people who want smaller government or lower taxes, there are vast differences between the 2 parties.

The Dems talk of moderates, but they are only moderates if they vote with them. A person cannot be a moderate if they vote against the Dems agenda.

:popcorn:

I do not see the Dems as being all inclusive. They do not like Christians, especially those who do not like abortion or homosexuality,they do not like people who want to drill for more oil and like big vechiles, they do not like people who want to restrict illegal immigration, they do not like people who want smaller government or lower taxes, there are vast differences between the 2 parties.

:puke:

I'm a Democrat and I am a Christian-as is the President of the United States, might I add-I don't hate people who do not support homosexual unions or people that support abortion, lower taxes and smaller government etc.

I don't see why homosexual marriages and abortion are such big deals anyway. We have a war overseas, we are losing men and women everyday to cancer and aids, our economy is in shambles and yet we still drone on about these things. Honestly, this may be a little brusque, but is it really going to bother you if you have to work with, live next door to or be taught by a homosexual? I don't think it will, I'm not one, and it's not for me. But if someone wants to do it, hey, you can not help who you love and you should have to be afraid to show that emotion. And also, if you are going to be against abortion, but for the death penalty, don't you see a problem there? You get to choose who gets to keep their lives? Give me the argument about people on death row have done something to deserve to die, but the fetuses haven't. So what ever deity you believe in, do you think they would be happy with you for taking any life?

I'm a Democrat and I am a Christian-as is the President of the United States, might I add-I don't hate people who do not support homosexual unions or people that support abortion, lower taxes and smaller government etc.

I don't see why homosexual marriages and abortion are such big deals anyway. We have a war overseas, we are losing men and women everyday to cancer and aids, our economy is in shambles and yet we still drone on about these things. Honestly, this may be a little brusque, but is it really going to bother you if you have to work with, live next door to or be taught by a homosexual? I don't think it will, I'm not one, and it's not for me. But if someone wants to do it, hey, you can not help who you love and you should have to be afraid to show that emotion. And also, if you are going to be against abortion, but for the death penalty, don't you see a problem there? You get to choose who gets to keep their lives? Give me the argument about people on death row have done something to deserve to die, but the fetuses haven't. So what ever deity you believe in, do you think they would be happy with you for taking any life?

Well, your an uninformed democrat then...

:cool:

Democrat - Christian - Sunday School Teacher - Ordained Deacon

I think it is more the other way (speaking in pure hyperbole) - Republicans don't like Infidels, Heathens, or the poor. They are only concerned about the prosperity gospel, cleansing OTHER people of their sin, and supporting big business over everything else. They believe God has shown his favor to the leaders of business by allowing them to be leaders of business, and that people are poor because of some sin in their life.

Specter does not support the above so he was increasingly ostrasized.

This along with Joe Lieberman, yes.

I have never considerated Lieberman a moderate. His overall voting record has been consistently liberal with his stance on the Iraq War being the notable exception. I don't believe that going against his party on that one issue makes him a moderate. I consider him a Pro-Iraq War liberal (One of the very few Pro-Iraq War liberals). I believe that there was no room in the Democratic Party for anybody who was sided with Bush on national security which is a much narrower litmus test than being a moderate.

I have never considerated Lieberman a moderate. His overall voting record has been consistently liberal with his stance on the Iraq War being the notable exception. I don't believe that going against his party on that one issue makes him a moderate. I consider him a Pro-Iraq War liberal (One of the very few Pro-Iraq War liberals). I believe that there was no room in the Democratic Party for anybody who was sided with Bush on national security which is a much narrower litmus test than being a moderate.

Saw something on his 2007 voting record, voted about 55% democrat, 45 republican. Pretty moderate that year.

I think you exeggerate on our difficulties. The war is winding down and while the economy is facing difficulties, it is not in shambles. AIDS is 99% avoidable.

Those who are on death row are there as prescribed by law, if I was 100% sure they would never get parole, I'm all for it. Abortion is an innocent put to death for no reason than it will be a bother to someone.

I will retract "do not like" and say they are not wanted in the Democractic Party.

And also, if you are going to be against abortion, but for the death penalty, don't you see a problem there? You get to choose who gets to keep their lives? Give me the argument about people on death row have done something to deserve to die, but the fetuses haven't. So what ever deity you believe in, do you think they would be happy with you for taking any life?

The bible also addresses an “eye for an eye” and “redeemer of blood”, so as with many parts of scripture it is all in how it is interpreted.

The argument you describe is a valid argument and if reversed for the democrats makes even less sense. How can killing unborn children and not killing convicted murders be logical?