Republican U.S. Senator Arlen Specter in talks to switch parties

So why is Detroit pretty much a Ghost Town now?

Because of corrupt govt administration and foolish behavior in the past by the management of the auto industry and the UAW. You cannot judge the economy of a whole nation by pointing out one town.

Back to the point: the econony is not good, no doubt. But it's not what I consider to be in shambles. But I realize not good to me, may be shambles to you. As they say: what's the difference between a recession and a depression? I recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose your job. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free Beer for everyone?????

"This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine."

:lol::lol:

Once something is immoral, how can you argue that one is more immoral than the other? The ending of life is inherently immoral, but one way of doing it is more so than the other?

Know that I am not advocating a moral look at politics, just pointing out the contradiction.

:thumb::thumb:

Well for me then, I don't think you should be able to have it both ways, either every life is sacred and abortion should be illegal and the death penalty should be abolished or abortion is legal and the death penalty is in place.

:thumb:

I did not say that laws should be made solely based on religious beliefs. I said that the bible can be interpreted both for and against capital punishment.

Religion aside, the point being that the Democratic stance against capital punishment and for abortion is more contradictory then the Republican stance for capital punishment and against abortion.

True but both are contradictory.

I think you exeggerate on our difficulties. The war is winding down and while the economy is facing difficulties, it is not in shambles. AIDS is 99% avoidable.

Those who are on death row are there as prescribed by law, if I was 100% sure they would never get parole, I'm all for it. Abortion is an innocent put to death for no reason than it will be a bother to someone.

I will retract "do not like" and say they are not wanted in the Democractic Party.

Once again :puke:. So I guess you need to say that if that is true, Conservatives hate all non-christian religions and homosexuals. Neither is true.

To me these arguments to go back to the Bible, especially in the "issue" of same sex marriage. It isn't legal because it is frowned upon in the Bible, which contradicts what this country promises us....separation of church and state. No one book should set the laws of this country, because there are many different religions in this country, but in this issue it clearly does.

As for abortion well that is a matter of personal opinion. If you believe that abortion AND capitial punishment are wrong that is your right, and in my perfect world that is how things would go because I wouldn't want my child to have his/her life taken from him.

Edited by CatsCatsCats

Because of corrupt govt administration and foolish behavior in the past by the management of the auto industry and the UAW. You cannot judge the economy of a whole nation by pointing out one town.

Back to the point: the econony is not good, no doubt. But it's not what I consider to be in shambles. But I realize not good to me, may be shambles to you. As they say: what's the difference between a recession and a depression? I recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose your job. :D

I haven't lost a job, because I don't have on-other than a lowly work study, college workstudies and professional sports seem to be the only two job markets not effected by this poor economy. Maybe Shambles was too strong of a word, but it isn't doing remarkable by any stretch of the imagination when 21,000 jobs are lost and one of the more successful car manufacturers in the world goes under, and some companies stock is selling for nearly $50 a share less than they were just three or four years ago.

The switch is nothing more than Specter watching out for Specter, PERIOD. He did the math in is district and did what he had to do to get re-elected. Biden & Obama will help him get elected and expect a few votes (health care) in return. They don't mind if he casts a few against their agenda as long as he comes through on some of their biggies.

Didn't Obama say in the silly press conference that he'd win in 2010? He told the people of Penn. who their democratic nominee better be as I see it. Talk about arrogance.:puke:

I don't have any kind of warm feelings for Specter, I think making this move prior to elections is very sleazy and self serving.

But I can not agree that this is only about Specter. Ask yourself "Why did the math change?" "Why can he no longer win as a Republican in Penn?" The answers illustrate a major problem for the Republican Party. The Republican party has changed into an ideological, mean spirited, Southern, Conservative party. They see too much in black and white and have conducted rather definite social litmus tests for party membership, and many of them see nothing wrong with it.

The fact is they have un-welcomed much of America. If you are a worker, gay, non christian, pro choice, non native, anti gun, or poor the Republican party no longer is willing to accept the other shared interest you have with other republicans, and they aren't shy about it either. Just read the very forums we have here and you get the message that Republicans see Good and Evil and disperse an intense personal anger towards other ideologies.

In terms of demographics alone the republican party has to make in roads with African Americans and Latinos or they will not have a future to look forward to. The population is diversifing and there is little to no growth in thier tradition population base. Right now it looks as if they are still going in the wrong direction. I think we will have to see a changed Republican party in the coming decades similar to the UK's New Labour movement by Blair, or the we might see the begining of a true multi-party America.

No not precisely, but they seem to vary from mine.

I only based my statements on the stated positions of others, not the shallow label of "liberal" or "conservative" that people place on themselves. I advise you to do the same.

Sen. Specter is now really in a pickle. Supposedly a key motivation to switching parties was that a conservative Republican was going to run against him in the primary and the Sen. did not feel he could win a Republican primary. Now, he's catching flack on the other side. I heard a talking head Democrat on the radio this morning stating that unless Specter fully accepts and supports the liberal Democrat platform, he will face a tough opponent in a Democrat primary. If he has to go far to the left to win the Democrat primary, can he then win the general election against a conservative? I realize that Pa supported Obama in the election, but that had a lot to do with being a knee jerk reaction to Bush and was before Obama started working on, in detail, some of his more liberal policies. If the voters think that Obama is not sticking to the more centrist campaign rhetoric, but rather is dramatically moving the country to the left, Specter is toast in my opinion if he has to act in a liberal fashion to avoid a Democrat primary. What a quandry Specter is in. Oh well, the professional pollsters in Pa. will make money in this economy because I think Specter is going to conduct polls before he votes on any of Obama's initiatives. The poly sci folks are going to love following and analyzing Specter's actions before the election and during the campaign.