Spring Turkey Season

BigBlueFreak

Just got a call from the midget and my dad. The midget called one in with his mouth (he purrs better than a real hen) and shot it at 35 yards this morning at 6:30. Dad sprinted out and put a death choke on him. I'm in Lexington and last year when I was in Lexington he shot his first one. Obviously I must be the stumbling block!

They are currently working another bird with the midget doing the persuading!!

Stats: 3/4 in. spurs, 9in. beard, dad estimated it at 20lbs.

I've created a monster!!!:lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got a call from the midget and my dad. The midget called one in with his mouth (he purrs better than a real hen) and shot it at 35 yards this morning at 6:30. Dad sprinted out and put a death choke on him. I'm in Lexington and last year when I was in Lexington he shot his first one. Obviously I must be the stumbling block!

You have created a monster of the best kind my friend! Congrats to the Midget :notworthy:!!

BTW, how long are you/we going to be calling him "the midget"? I mean, I'll bet he is getting some size and strength to him and with the obvious way that he can shoot I don't want to make him mad :eek::lol:.

Congrats to Lil' Doc and to Granda Doc as well. I know how it had to have thrilled him. Oh yeah, I'll bet you are just a little happy and proud as well. :thumb:

(sounds like he needs to go huntin' with Grandpa more often:D)

You have created a monster of the best kind my friend! Congrats to the Midget :notworthy:!!

BTW, how long are you/we going to be calling him "the midget"? I mean, I'll bet he is getting some size and strength to him and with the obvious way that he can shoot I don't want to make him mad :eek::lol:.

Congrats to Lil' Doc and to Granda Doc as well. I know how it had to have thrilled him. Oh yeah, I'll bet you are just a little happy and proud as well. :thumb:

(sounds like he needs to go huntin' with Grandpa more often:D)

Obviously:ylsuper:

Dad weighed the bird when he got home and it was 21lb10oz. and I've been formally instructed on how he wants the bird mounted.:ohbrother:

:thumb: Nice job!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Meant to post yesterday but am currently out of town. So, here wraps my turkey season. Cruddy weather. Never recall such cruddy weather. I finally tagged out Friday morning. Heard a blabber-mouth around 9:00 that was on top of the ridge. Made the midget and my dad sit still and advised them to run the box call every couple of minutes so I could keep my line on him. I snuck up the ridge, got in range to hear him drumming, couple of purrs, he came over, shot him in the face. Nice 2y.o. turkey to put me at the limit.

I spent alot of season trying to get my dad a turkey. Good grief, he gets worse every year. He moves waaaaaaay too much. Before I ambushed the 2y.o. we had been on a hot turkey who had no girlfriends. We got in gun range as he strutted back and forth on a ridge top. When he came back to within gun range as I was 75 yds behind calling, I watched my dad fidget until I saw the Tom nail him and he simply dropped out of strut and eased out the ridge to be heard no more.

What's worse is from flydown that morning, I had roosted a bird the night before for him, told him exactly where he was, exactly what would happen, called for him and the turkey did it like it was scripted. He got to 35 yds, dad shot him low right, broke his wing and the turkeys feet got him out of dodge like Carl Lewis. He'll be an easy coyote sandwich later. And yes he decided to try some new shells this season yet never patterned them until this morning now that he's missed one turkey and mortally wounded another. As I think about it, my 10 year old has become a much easier partner to deal with. However, now that I've thrown him under the bus, I can't tell you how cool it is to have 3 generations together in the woods as much as we are able, thank the Lord!

I wouldn't have it any other way!:thumb:

Edited by spindoc

I was lucky enough to have used both of my tags this season. I killed two very fine birds. One of them had a double beard one 10.5" and the other was 5". The second bird had an 10" beard. The weather was horrible and the birds didn't always cooperate but overall I had a good season.

I can't tell you how cool it is to have 3 generations together in the woods as much as we are able, thank the Lord!

Absolutely and Kudos to you and your family for passing down and carrying on the outdoor hunting and fishing traditions.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I was lucky enough to have used both of my tags this season. I killed two very fine birds. One of them had a double beard one 10.5" and the other was 5". The second bird had an 10" beard. The weather was horrible and the birds didn't always cooperate but overall I had a good season.

Congrats, you had a fine season and imo the real pleasure is not the "kill" rather it is being out in Gods outdoors and enjoying the hunting traditions and outdoor lifestyle that we have been blessed with.

Meant to post yesterday but am currently out of town. So, here wraps my turkey season. Cruddy weather. Never recall such cruddy weather. I finally tagged out Friday morning. Heard a blabber-mouth around 9:00 that was on top of the ridge. Made the midget and my dad sit still and advised them to run the box call every couple of minutes so I could keep my line on him. I snuck up the ridge, got in range to hear him drumming, couple of purrs, he came over, shot him in the face. Nice 2y.o. turkey to put me at the limit.

I spent alot of season trying to get my dad a turkey. Good grief, he gets worse every year. He moves waaaaaaay too much. Before I ambushed the 2y.o. we had been on a hot turkey who had no girlfriends. We got in gun range as he strutted back and forth on a ridge top. When he came back to within gun range as I was 75 yds behind calling, I watched my dad fidget until I saw the Tom nail him and he simply dropped out of strut and eased out the ridge to be heard no more.

What's worse is from flydown that morning, I had roosted a bird the night before for him, told him exactly where he was, exactly what would happen, called for him and the turkey did it like it was scripted. He got to 35 yds, dad shot him low right, broke his wing and the turkeys feet got him out of dodge like Carl Lewis. He'll be an easy coyote sandwich later. And yes he decided to try some new shells this season yet never patterned them until this morning now that he's missed one turkey and mortally wounded another. As I think about it, my 10 year old has become a much easier partner to deal with. However, now that I've thrown him under the bus, I can't tell you how cool it is to have 3 generations together in the woods as much as we are able, thank the Lord!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I really enjoyed reading your post Spindoc.

2 birds for me. 1 longbeard opening day and 1 juvenile late in the season. :cool: