Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spring Turkey Season

Featured Replies

I'm sure most of you guys are getting your hot spots picked out as Turkey season is less than a month away. I will say this will be my second season away from KY and I'm terribly missing Turkey season back home. But this year will be my first year of giving it a whirl in Wyoming. There are not even close to as many birds here as there but I've been seeing a few more here and there so the future will be bright. The odd thing for me will be a spring turkey season in the snow!:jump:

  • Replies 63
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck in Wyoming. I will be doing my best in Kentucky.

I'm sure most of you guys are getting your hot spots picked out as Turkey season is less than a month away. I will say this will be my second season away from KY and I'm terribly missing Turkey season back home. But this year will be my first year of giving it a whirl in Wyoming. There are not even close to as many birds here as there but I've been seeing a few more here and there so the future will be bright. The odd thing for me will be a spring turkey season in the snow!:jump:

I hunted Wyoming and South Dakota a few years ago. Wonderful country. Funny thing, you had to keep calling to those Merriam's or they'd lose interest, even in fairly close range. Good luck to you out there. Where are you hunting in Wyoming? We hunted the eastern part obviously, Black Hills. Beautiful country no doubt.:thumb:

  • Author
I hunted Wyoming and South Dakota a few years ago. Wonderful country. Funny thing, you had to keep calling to those Merriam's or they'd lose interest, even in fairly close range. Good luck to you out there. Where are you hunting in Wyoming? We hunted the eastern part obviously, Black Hills. Beautiful country no doubt.:thumb:

 

I'll be hunting more the central part mainly around Casper where I live but I'm planning on venturing down towards Devils Tower and the Black Hills. Thanks for sharing that bit of info, I will certainly have to keep that in mind this season. I wish you guys the best of luck!

Good luck to you BBF and to all bgp turkey hunters going out this spring. :thumb:

Good Luck to everyone! I have already been doing some scouting and I have seen more birds this year than I ever have,I looks to be very promising this year. I have also noticed that alot of birds are alreay blowing up and strutting I have even heard some early morning gobbling. I can't wait!!!!

My dad and my youngest son (the midget) went to a spot we hunt on Saturday morning and said there were no less than 10 birds in earshot gobbling. They actually got pinned down and had to wait an hour and a half for a couple of longbeards to walk off. They said that they must have heard them walking in the leaves and thought they were hens and the midget said that they strutted around them within 40 yards for an hour. So, if you decipher that thru the exaggeration filter:D, I'd still say that there were alot of toms in the area. Can't wait. Good luck to all of you this season!:thumb:

I'm not sure if I will get to hunt this turkey season due to having knee surgery but I had the highlight of my season tonight.

 

I was visited tonight by Spindoc's son who was accompanied by his grandad whom is a longtime friend of mine. Young spindoc brought me one of my favorite turkey calls. I sat and talked turkey with this young hunter and had the chance to hear him run a turkey call. Let me tell you he is one of the best callers I have heard. Not only is he proficient with a turkey call but I was amazed at his ability to call with is natural voice. The kid is a natural and it is evident that he has a passion for the great sport of turkey hunting. He has what I refer to as "Turkey Fever" and it makes me feel good knowing that the turkey hunting tradition has been passed on.

 

Hats off to you spindoc for a job well done. Not only is he hooked on hunting but he was one of the most polite and respectful youngsters that I have ever met.

Thanks young man for making my day complete and I hope you bag the biggest Ol' Three Toes of your young hunting career.:thumb:

I'm not sure if I will get to hunt this turkey season due to having knee surgery but I had the highlight of my season tonight.

 

I was visited tonight by Spindoc's son who was accompanied by his grandad whom is a longtime friend of mine. Young spindoc brought me one of my favorite turkey calls. I sat and talked turkey with this young hunter and had the chance to hear him run a turkey call. Let me tell you he is one of the best callers I have heard. Not only is he proficient with a turkey call but I was amazed at his ability to call with is natural voice. The kid is a natural and it is evident that he has a passion for the great sport of turkey hunting. He has what I refer to as "Turkey Fever" and it makes me feel good knowing that the turkey hunting tradition has been passed on.

 

Hats off to you spindoc for a job well done. Not only is he hooked on hunting but he was one of the most polite and respectful youngsters that I have ever met.

Thanks young man for making my day complete and I hope you bag the biggest Ol' Three Toes of your young hunting career.:thumb:

He called me so excited by the box call you gave him that he couldn't hardly tell me fast enough. Needless to say, Cville made a lasting impression on him, and without sounding like a big sap, but there's no one I know of that I'd rather have my youngster get some turkey talk from. I thank you C'ville for giving him a moment of your time. Too few folks will do that these days, Kudos to a teriffic friend and great role model for all hunters, young and old.

 

 

So, please get well soon, and if you do, I'd be more than tickled to cart your hind end up the ridge and call them "uphill".:thumb:

Edited by spindoc

You guys would die to see the number and size of the turkeys that regularly hang out in my backyard. Many of them come up close enough that I could probably throw a baseball off my deck and knock one out. Well, that is an exaggeration. I would no doubt miss by 30 yards. But my son could probably hit one. :notworthy:

 

He's begging me to let him shoot one. I am absolutely clueless about hunting etiquette. Would it be considered in poor taste to let him do so?

 

He's begging me to let him shoot one. I am absolutely clueless about hunting etiquette. Would it be considered in poor taste to let him do so?

Not if it is Turkey season. It starts April 18th. I would get him a box call, they are cheep, simple to use, and readily available, and let him call to them some, he would probably get a kick out of making them gobble, and seeing their behavior.

 

Then if he wants, let him shoot one. He may be a turkey hunter for life after that experience.

Not if it is Turkey season. It starts April 18th. I would get him a box call, they are cheep, simple to use, and readily available, and let him call to them some, he would probably get a kick out of making them gobble, and seeing their behavior.

 

Then if he wants, let him shoot one. He may be a turkey hunter for life after that experience.

 

So it would be okay (assuming it is in season, of course) to sit on our deck, use the call box (technically don't really need one, as they are all over the back anyways, but you are right in that he'd probably think it was fun), and then shoot one while standing on the deck? Heck, if we train these things right maybe I can convince one to fly up on the deck and hop into the stove. :lol:

 

Can't say I'd be too happy about the blood all over my lawn, but I guess the rain will take care of it . . . :D

 

This deck hunting strategy is going to need the blessing of my wife, which may be tough to come by, but I guess if she approves, so be it. Not that I have any earthly clue what to do with the dead carcass . . .

No blood. You shoot turkey in the head/neck with a shotgun, and there isn't any blood.

 

As for the carcass, just get online and you will find out how to prepare a turkey for cooking, and how to cook it. It's not to hard. I say it would be an interesting experience for the entire family. Plus, I would say your son would find it intriguing and enjoy eating something that he shot and cleaned himself.

 

You can cut the tail fan off and make a nice display of his first kill. That is not hard either.

 

Try it, and let us know. I'm pretty interested in knowing what everyone thinks.

I for one can verify that cvillecat was about as excited or more so about Lil' Spindoc's visit that he spoke of in his earlier post. Cvillecat gave me a call after Grandpa and Lil' Doc left his house and was telling me about this young man and what a great caller he was. Cville also relayed to me what he had stated in his post in that the young man was very respectful and a great young man. I know spindoc and Grandpa spindoc well myself, have known both for years and years. I just wanted to relay my feelngs on this and how great it is to see the hunting traditions passed down, this is the only way that the lifestyles that we grew up with as a second nature will survive with all of the other influences kids have today.

One other comment that tells me that the boy will be o.k. is that when ask what his favorite sport was he immediately said Hunting :lol:! Looks like the biggest problem that his coaches in basketball, baseball and football are going to have is keeping this young man on the playing field and out of the woods or on the water. (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that :thumb::thumb:)

No blood. You shoot turkey in the head/neck with a shotgun, and there isn't any blood.

 

As for the carcass, just get online and you will find out how to prepare a turkey for cooking, and how to cook it. It's not to hard. I say it would be an interesting experience for the entire family. Plus, I would say your son would find it intriguing and enjoy eating something that he shot and cleaned himself.

 

You can cut the tail fan off and make a nice display of his first kill. That is not hard either.

 

Try it, and let us know. I'm pretty interested in knowing what everyone thinks.

 

I found someone else to clean it and cook it. I have no interest in doing so and, to be honest, no interest in learning. :lol: Just not my style. But I do plan to let him give it a go. I guess being on the deck would be like being in the ultimate tree stand?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.