Spring Turkey Season

BigBlueFreak

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck to all getting to go out. I hope all fills their tag and brings home a great American thunder chicken.

I know of one cvillecat that will be going crazy not being able to get out due to his recent surgery.

Good luck again to all and most of all hunt safe......"all the turkeys ever bred aren't worth one man dead". :thumb:

The main thing is getting out in Gods great outdoors with good friends and family and enjoying the sport of hunting and fishing.

As for me, turkey season is always in when the Bsss bite is getting going good and I haven't found a gobbler yet that would hit my spinnerbait,crankbait or jig. :idunno:

Went out a ridge this morning with the midget and a friend went on the ridge parallel to the one we were on and when the first hen flew down, she and I had a fight. We argued angrily for 15 minutes. I told the midget that she might drag loverboy uphill to us. After about 5 more minutes of our heated exchange, I turned to the midget and said, "she's going the other direction, I hope she takes Bang"....."like I was saying, I hope she takes the Tom over to Richard on the other side":D

22lbs.-11in. beard- 1 1/4in. spurs. I got a good shot of it, I'll post it later.

Went out a ridge this morning with the midget and a friend went on the ridge parallel to the one we were on and when the first hen flew down, she and I had a fight. We argued angrily for 15 minutes. I told the midget that she might drag loverboy uphill to us. After about 5 more minutes of our heated exchange, I turned to the midget and said, "she's going the other direction, I hope she takes Bang"....."like I was saying, I hope she takes the Tom over to Richard on the other side":D

22lbs.-11in. beard- 1 1/4in. spurs. I got a good shot of it, I'll post it later.

Except for bagging ol' three toes, there is nothing more exciting than going head to head with the old boss hen. Hopefully, the next encounter will bring different results for your young hunter. :thumb:

Good luck to all getting to go out. I hope all fills their tag and brings home a great American thunder chicken.

I know of one cvillecat that will be going crazy not being able to get out due to his recent surgery.

Good luck again to all and most of all hunt safe......"all the turkeys ever bred aren't worth one man dead". :thumb:

The main thing is getting out in Gods great outdoors with good friends and family and enjoying the sport of hunting and fishing.

As for me, turkey season is always in when the Bsss bite is getting going good and I haven't found a gobbler yet that would hit my spinnerbait,crankbait or jig. :idunno:

You are 100% right Oldrambler. I thought I was going to go crazy yesterday. It was a bluebird morning. I sat around all day thinking about how many boss gobbler encounters my fellow hunters were having and how much fun I was missing. I'll enjoy this season through their stories while I practice calling until next seasons opener.

Also, the way you throw a spinnerbait I'm sure an old "boss gobbler" would be interested!!

You are 100% right Oldrambler. I thought I was going to go crazy yesterday. It was a bluebird morning. I sat around all day thinking about how many boss gobbler encounters my fellow hunters were having and how much fun I was missing. I'll enjoy this season through their stories while I practice calling until next seasons opener.

Also, the way you throw a spinnerbait I'm sure an old "boss gobbler" would be interested!!

:lol: I don't know about that but if not the ol' spinnerbait I know that I can go to a plastic worm, fat rap or a wiggle wart.

Here's one I hate to even post. Just witnessed a fellow who lives just down the road from me in a residential area, walk up behind our property over to a small farm over the hill. Heard him shoot a rifle, and he came toting a Tom over his back hotfooting it back home. Does no good to call the game warden over it. I have no proof, he'd deny it, and the evidence has more than likely been potted already. Really frosts me. I'd like to give him some country justice. I will tell the landowner, don't know what he'll say. Perhaps he had permission, but I doubt it.

Here's one I hate to even post. Just witnessed a fellow who lives just down the road from me in a residential area, walk up behind our property over to a small farm over the hill. Heard him shoot a rifle, and he came toting a Tom over his back hotfooting it back home. Does no good to call the game warden over it. I have no proof, he'd deny it, and the evidence has more than likely been potted already. Really frosts me. I'd like to give him some country justice. I will tell the landowner, don't know what he'll say. Perhaps he had permission, but I doubt it.

I agree, that kind of thing boils my blood. What good does conservation and regulations do when you have people like that who decide that the laws do not apply to them.

On a different note, no good news on the family farm. Several birds have been spotted, but as of now, the Culp Creek toms are not being cooperative to the hunters. Hopefully that will change soon.

I had a big longbeard running in this morning as if he were on a string only to have a drainage ditch between me and him ruin the hunt. He locked up and stutted off as if nothing had ever had his attention. I heard a lot of birds gobbling this morning, but when the rain set in the woods went quiet. I'll be back after them in the morning.

:madman::madman: That kind of thing really gets me as well.

Here's one I hate to even post. Just witnessed a fellow who lives just down the road from me in a residential area, walk up behind our property over to a small farm over the hill. Heard him shoot a rifle, and he came toting a Tom over his back hotfooting it back home. Does no good to call the game warden over it. I have no proof, he'd deny it, and the evidence has more than likely been potted already. Really frosts me. I'd like to give him some country justice. I will tell the landowner, don't know what he'll say. Perhaps he had permission, but I doubt it.[/quote

As you well know,these kind of slobs don't need landowner permission Doc. They think they have the right to do whatever they want. Hunting seasons and regulations are not in their vocabulary. The scenario you described is what gives hunters a bad reputation.

Now that he has been successful in his quest to take a turkey, I'm sure he will soon have the urge to try again. When he does, I hope the local CO is around and gives this guy what he deserves. :irked:

Tagged my first bird this morning. 22lb (probably less considering when I weighed him he was soaked) 10in. beard, 1in. spurs. He was the boss. I used my new call. It's called A.M.Bush. It's really easy to use. You put it in your mouth, and don't blow it.

Seriously, I saw him in a field with 2 hens and 6:eek: of his little 2y.o. buddies in full strut behind him. I waited for the hen to take him around a knoll, I snuck around the knoll and set up, shut up and waited on him. He came around like a trooper and got a beak full of #6's.

Although I had a terrific morning in God's beautiful wet outdoors, I hope the 6 full fans stay in that same pattern because I see the midget having a dentist apointment on Friday.:ylsuper:

Tagged out by 9:30, not a lot of gobbling, they came in silent and beat up on my decoys and that woke me up to the Toms, made a good shot, I was looking for a little interaction with them, called a couple of times but got no response, it was a beautiful morning and I got my birds.