Best Sophmores in KY?

EC12

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not true at all, Thelan is better than both of them inside. Stauffer can not shoot for his life. Hodges is not bad. Thelan stomps both of them.

I will agree with you about inside play, but that is only one part of the game. Stauffer CAN shoot the ball and passes extremely well out the high post. Hodges will do something that Thelan refuses to do and that is play defense. IMO I take either one of them over Thelan in an overall comparison.

The thread is for the best sophmores (plural) in the state. Earlier in this thread Eta Rho offered an observation with which I agree: The two best sophomores I've seen in nky were Arnold of Holmes and Thelen of Covcath The list of the best sophmores in the state should include the best 2 from northern ky. Thelan is a rebounding and scoring machine. Look for big things from him in the coming years (banged up elbow notwithstanding).

I will agree with you about inside play, but that is only one part of the game. Stauffer CAN shoot the ball and passes extremely well out the high post. Hodges will do something that Thelan refuses to do and that is play defense. IMO I take either one of them over Thelan in an overall comparison.

I'd have to agree with Handy Manny. Thelen is probably the most polished around the rim with his inside game, but when looking at overall games, there are several others better than him. Thelen needs to work on his defense and can only play the 5 as he's not very good at dribbling and doesn't have a midrange or outside shot, whatsoever.

Arnold is the best ALL AROUND soph in NKY, hands down. I don't think there's any question to that. After that, I'd say there are several others with better OVERALL games than Thelen.

Thelen will dominate down low though over the next two years.

From the article I had listed Hickey was not listed , but Donovan Kates, Christian County, 6-5. was ranked as #14 in the state.

Hickey played in Clarksville, Tennessee last year maybe thats the reason but, he is a great football player as well as basketball player, Donovan is my 2nd cousin I'm not sure why I left him off. If you remember the early 80s I had a cousin who played at Hopkinsville name James Tandy who played at Texas and East Tennessee, Donovan is his nephew

What game and how many games have you seen Vinny play? Was it just the pre-season scrimmage? He is just now getting to 100% from his broken leg. Also adjusting to a totally differect style of play from Ohio to Ky.

Goldie--Sorry, I am late, but hadn't been on this thread in a few days. Saw Zollo pre-season vs. Elliott, Scott Co. on TV, and the Doss game at Bourbon. Admit they were early on games and he may have been adjusting. My understanding is that Rogers was also playing well early and not putting up the same numbers as of late. Rogers, Stenzel, and Zollo are all good young players getting better. At this point Robbie stands out more IMO. He can really shot and score some big numbers when he is on his game. In the early games I hadn't seen his (Robbie's) kind of explosiveness in Vinny.

Goldie--Sorry, I am late, but hadn't been on this thread in a few days. Saw Zollo pre-season vs. Elliott, Scott Co. on TV, and the Doss game at Bourbon. Admit they were early on games and he may have been adjusting. My understanding is that Rogers was also playing well early and not putting up the same numbers as of late. Rogers, Stenzel, and Zollo are all good young players getting better. At this point Robbie stands out more IMO. He can really shot and score some big numbers when he is on his game. In the early games I hadn't seen his (Robbie's) kind of explosiveness in Vinny.

I agree. Stenzel will probably be the best of the group but that says a lot considering how loaded that soph. class is.

Thanks for your reply, and you are right in that Zollo was not 100% in the Elliott Co scirmmage and has been adjusting to a new system and playing ball in KY. He has been putting up much better stats, scoring, rebounds and block shots in the last month. The times you have seen us play, Stenzel did look the best. I will not say who is the best player of all our Sophomores as they all bring something different to the game.

I agree. Stenzel will probably be the best of the group but that says a lot considering how loaded that soph. class is.

Two of our sohomores that isn't getting much press is Jaylan Daniels and Travis Pervis. Remember these names too as they both are very talented and you will be hearing alot about them in the next two years. Eta you are right, our Sophomore class is loaded. You have Zollo, Stenzel, Rogers, Pervis and Daniels.

Arnold is probably the best in the sophmore class in NKY, but he hasn't impressed me all too much either. Thelen is solid down low, and will be good the next two years, but def. needs to work on his defense, and his shot. Never seen Stauffer, that I know of, but Hodges is solid.

You've also only seen Arnold probably 3 times. (B'wood, Scott Co, Covcath)

He's gotten a lot better and more consistent throughout the season. Still has obvious things he needs to work on, like you said, but what sophomore doesn't? He'll be a big time contributor for Holmes if they get to Rupp as well as over the next two years.

You've also only seen Arnold probably 3 times. (B'wood, Scott Co, Covcath)

He's gotten a lot better and more consistent throughout the season. Still has obvious things he needs to work on, like you said, but what sophomore doesn't? He'll be a big time contributor for Holmes if they get to Rupp as well as over the next two years.

Please don't try to tell me what my opinion should be. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen him, my opinion is based on that, and it's all I have to go on. And I'm telling you he did not impress me all that much. I honestly don't see a D1 caliber kid in there yet like you say all these "scouts" you talk to do. I mean to be honest, before Thelen got hurt, I think he was starting to break his way into being the top sophmore in NKY.

Please don't try to tell me what my opinion should be. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen him, my opinion is based on that, and it's all I have to go on. And I'm telling you he did not impress me all that much. I honestly don't see a D1 caliber kid in there yet like you say all these "scouts" you talk to do. I mean to be honest, before Thelen got hurt, I think he was starting to break his way into being the top sophmore in NKY.

Hmm...wasn't trying to tell you what your opinion should be. Was just stating you've only seen the kid 3 times. He may not have impressed you when you seen him...doesn't really matter to be honest. What matters is the scouts who have seen him the past two years in high school and aau ball were impressed with him. No disrespect meant here, but an opinion from someone on BGP isn't going to keep him from getting a scholarship.

As far as Thelen, he is too one dimensional. Good around the rim but definetly way to slow defensively, has no outside shot, and lacks ball handling skills. Those are all tools you need to have if you want to play at the next level these days unless you're just that dominant down low, which I don't see him being. He benefits A LOT form having Isler get double teamed down low and getting wide open lay ups.