My scary Hawaii experience

MsKitty

Well, we made it back safely from Hawaii.....thank the good Lord! We left on Christmas morning and planned to spend 6 days on the Big Island, then fly to Honolulu (on Oahu) for the rest of our 11 day trip.

We actually rented a house near Hilo on the Big Island. It was in a really nice neighborhood and we were right on the water. It was a beautiful house....very nice. On our last night there (Dec. 30), we came home a bit early and starting packing up our stuff to head to Honolulu the next day. I called it a night pretty early. My parents were still up when I went to bed. I slept pretty soundly. The house made funny noises always, and we could constantly here the waves smashing into the rocks outside.

My mom woke up aroud 6:15am, and went to the back lanai to have her coffee....like every other morning there. She discovered that the back door was unlocked and the screen door was standing open. She remembered locking the door before she went to bed. At first she thought someone else must have already been up. Then she looked around and realized something was wrong. She came bursting in to my room. "Are you in here? Are you okay?!" she asked, sounding very frantic. Then the odd question..."Do you have your dad's laptop?" "Really?" I was thinking, "at 6:30am?" She headed back out of the room, and I heard her yell, "Oh my God! We've been robbed!" I shot up out of bed and ran into the other room. My dad's laptop was missing along with two of our cameras. My mom's purse was gone. My brother's wallet had been in my mom's purse. Dad's briefcase was nowhere to be found. We were all running around crazily, hoping to find a way to disprove her theory. Then, my boyfriend found the broken window in the front room....

They had entered the house while we were sleeping. They grabbed what they could find and left out the back door. We were shaken. We had been violated. However, we were all safe. I cried because I didn't know what else to do. My mom called 911. We were told it would take a while for the police to get there. My mom and my brother went about calling the bank and cancelling their credit cards. I got on the phone with Hawaiian Airlines and the TSA to figure out how we get them on a plane without their identification.

The police finally showed up about 3 hours after we called. They took a report and dusted for prints. We were told incidents such as this were not completely uncommon. It was likely that our house had been cased, they knew we were tourists, and they were probably watching us waiting for the lights to go out. It made me sick to think about. Apparently, we were lucky that we hadn't woken up and discovered them....lucky that they found enough to not come searching the bedrooms. Otherwise, we were likely to have been beaten...or maybe stabbed. We were lucky....

The robbers got away with a $3000 laptop, two cameras (with hundreds of pics and videos), a few thousand in cash, my dad's briefcase, my mom's purse, my brother's wallet....and for good measure they took a 12 pack of Pepsi out of the fridge on their way out the back door. They managed to use my mom's debit card 3 times at 3 separate ATM machines prior to 4:00am HT (I'm not even sure how you do that without a pin number), and got an additional $600. I managed to lose none of my pysical belongings, since I had packed everything up the night before.

That was certainly one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. I haven't slept great since. We did manage to make our flight to Honolulu, and my mom and brother were able to get through security. It just required a secondary pat-down and a long call to "big brother." We continued on with the rest of our vacation and had a great time, in spite of everything. It was certainly something we will NEVER forget. I had prayed throughout our whole trip that God would keep us safe.....and he did.

That sucks, but it's a good thing you all are alright. And I know, to an extent, what you went through. We're dealing with the stolen wallet/purse thing too, along with the charges made on the cards. :madman:
Wow, that is really strange that such a thing has happened to you both within the last several days. :eek:

Hope you are both able to do whatever necessary to protect your identity information, and that the crooks get what they deserve.

The world is turning into a bad place more and more every day.

It's good to hear that all the damage done was only missing items/money and you got to finish your vacation healthy and happy!

I hope they find the perps and make them pay.

I don't think the world is getting worse. It's just that now with all the means of communication we hear about it more. All you hear about on the news is murders, rapes, and other crimes. "If it bleeds, it leads".

This burns me up and I didnt lose a thing. It just makes me mad when people who are minding their own business, not hurting anyone, and they are violated. I hope they find them but I wouldnt hold my breath. Did your father lose anything of great importance in his brief case?