Middle school kids starting varsity

The only middle schooler that I know of in NKY playing at the varsity level on a day to day basis, is 7th grader Brandon Hatton at Dixie.

I believe Christian Mcclendon of Holmes (8th grader) is the only other middle school kid to step foot on the floor in a varsity game in NKY this year. He does start JV at Holmes though and is their leading scorer at 16 ppg.

Both are ranked top 10 for their class in the state and should be HUGE for each program over the next several years.

Also, one to keep an eye on is Jared Swanson of Summitt View. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he got called up to play JV at Simon Kenton.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only middle schooler that I know of in NKY playing at the varsity level on a day to day basis, is 7th grader Brandon Hatton at Dixie.

I believe Christian Mcclendon of Holmes (8th grader) is the only other middle school kid to step foot on the floor in a varsity game in NKY this year. He does start JV at Holmes though and is their leading scorer at 16 ppg.

Both are ranked top 10 for their class in the state and should be HUGE for each program over the next several years.

Also, one to keep an eye on is Jared Swanson of Summitt View. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he got called up to play JV at Simon Kenton.

Don't forget about Mason Monroe who is starting for Pendleton and playing very well.

We have already been talking about Brandon on BGP but you should know being his coach. I have watched him play the past 3 yrs as well and he should definitely be able to start next season. I know he was a holdback but doesnt matter he can play.

Holdback or not, even if he is aged for the 8th grade this year, starting JV at a big school like Dixie as a 13/14 year-old is huge.

We have already been talking about Brandon on BGP but you should know being his coach. I have watched him play the past 3 yrs as well and he should definitely be able to start next season. I know he was a holdback but doesnt matter he can play.

According to most here on BGP a holdback is ok unless he is at a certain school!

Thats the main reason OJ Mayo and Bill Walker came to Rose Hill from WV because middle schoolers can not do that in WV.

:ohbrother::ohbrother::ohbrother:And to think for all these years the KHSAA and I thought that they were there strictly for the quality Christian education.

You learn something new every day!!!! :isurrender:

:ohbrother::ohbrother::ohbrother:And to think for all these years the KHSAA and I thought that they were there strictly for the quality Christian education.

You learn something new every day!!!! :isurrender:

Did you just come up with that one? Or did you revisit some of the archives for your material?

One more question I was wondering. If a kid in in the 8th grade and he plays at the jv level. Is he able to stay back without penality or does him playing on that team effect his eligibility come his senior year?

With the fact that he does sit out any level above his grade level the 2nd year while repeating the 8th grade.

Just curious to know how this would work. Summit View is a feeder school for Dixie, SK, and Scott, whereas Twenhoffel is SK, Woodland is Scott, and Turkeyfoot is Dixie. :confused:

I would put Monroe right up there at the top with Hatton & McClendon.

All three are special players. I would also put up there Hicks from Shelby Co.

Monroe is the starting point guard for Pendleton and very impressive. He is not flashy but has a high IQ for the game and just gets it done quietly.

Just curious to know how this would work. Summit View is a feeder school for Dixie, SK, and Scott, whereas Twenhoffel is SK, Woodland is Scott, and Turkeyfoot is Dixie. :confused:

Jared's parents have already told the SK administration that he will be attending there. Also not 100% sure, but I believe the freshman team at SK tried bringing him up football?

Don't forget about Mason Monroe who is starting for Pendleton and playing very well.

Monroe is another good one, but I left him off because Pendleton isn't really considered to be NKY. NKY is usually thought of to be Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Co.

Tyson Williams has started 1 game so far this season for McCreary Central and logged some minutes in the last 3 or 4 games. He is an 8th grader. Aaron is closing in on the 2,000 pt mark.

The Williams kid at McCreary Central looks like he could be something Special. He is 6'4" 235 lbs. A good looking Kid. How many Sports does he play?:dancingpa

Monroe is another good one, but I left him off because Pendleton isn't really considered to be NKY. NKY is usually thought of to be Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Co.

Do you consider Gallatin Co. as NKY? Kristian Morgan is an 8th grader at GC that starts JV and has played quality minutes on the varsity team for them also.