Middle school kids starting varsity

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Basketball is considered a non-contact sport (such as golf, cross country, and even baseball) and middle schoolers can play. I saw a fifth grade girl score points in a varsity game a few years back.

Basketball is very much a contact sport. IDK why its not ruled that way.:confused:

You see alot of this on the girl's side. Probably need to start one on the girls forum.

Building on this, Iroquois has enjoyed it run of success thanks to the "Fantastic Four" that started off as the "Fantastic Five" when they all started playing for Iroquois while they were all 7th graders at Southern Middle School. These girls are playing, and most are starting, for their 6th year of varsity basketball. I know girl's basketball isn't as physical but this is still a pretty special accomplishment by any athlete.

I have one for everyone to watch in the future. Brandon Hatton 7th grade at Dixie-Starts JV and no dought will start varsity as an 8th grader next year. He went to LA this year and was ranked 13 best player in the nation. I coached him at St. Augustine in Covington when he was in the 5th grade. He ave 25+ a game then. He also played for the Tarheels. Watch him!!!;)

I have one for everyone to watch in the future. Brandon Hatton 7th grade at Dixie-Starts JV and no dought will start varsity as an 8th grader next year. He went to LA this year and was ranked 13 best player in the nation. I coached him at St. Augustine in Covington when he was in the 5th grade. He ave 25+ a game then. He also played for the Tarheels. Watch him!!!;)

We have already been talking about Brandon on BGP but you should know being his coach. I have watched him play the past 3 yrs as well and he should definitely be able to start next season. I know he was a holdback but doesnt matter he can play.

We have already been talking about Brandon on BGP but you should know being his coach. I have watched him play the past 3 yrs as well and he should definitely be able to start next season. I know he was a holdback but doesnt matter he can play.

We have almost the same team we had then with our 7th & 8th grade team which is 10-0. With 3 great additions, Jalen Beal (Dicky Beal's nephew)7th,Burt Pouncy, Zack Pouncy 8th & 7th grade, Jeremy Ennis, Austin Adams, and Tre Reynolds. Most of them will be attending H.C. and have played with Brandon. Wouldn't be surprised to see him come back to Covington!

So if a kid doesn't play their 8th grade year, fail that year so they repeat 8th grade the next year, they are eligible to play high school sports although they aren't allowed to play for their middle school? That doesn't seem to make sense. I thought once a kid entered 6th grade they were locked in to having one year's eligibility per grade remaining and that's why parents hold kids back in 5th grade and not middle school. Anyone able to clarify this?

So if a kid doesn't play their 8th grade year, fail that year so they repeat 8th grade the next year, they are eligible to play high school sports although they aren't allowed to play for their middle school? That doesn't seem to make sense. I thought once a kid entered 6th grade they were locked in to having one year's eligibility per grade remaining and that's why parents hold kids back in 5th grade and not middle school. Anyone able to clarify this?
No, see Post #24.

Used to be the case, not now. KHSAA got out of middle school jurisdiction about 1999 or 2000. They can(some say can not) barely police the rules for the high schools and law suits were common, more so than now.

If a kid fails 8th grade or is held back and did not play HS sports the first year, then yes they can the 2nd.

If they play HS the first, then no they cannot.

Its cut and dry, you can play HS sports in any grade, but not 2 years in the same grade.

There is no more 14 semester rule once you hit 6th grade.

• 4 weeks later...
You cannot play 2 years in the same grade, period.

If a kid play varsity in the 7th, then he repeats the 7th, he cannot play HS sports the 2nd year of that grade.

You seem to be knowledgeable on this subject, so here is a scenario for your opinions (other feedback of course welcomed)

Kid in 10th grade, played JV football, DID play a couple min here and there of Varsity. Played JV baseball. He just turned 15, 5 days before 10th grade and he wants to hold hisself back. (I'm not letting him make the decision, but surprisingly he sat down like an attorney with things he had contemplated). So question is, we were told that we, the parents, can not hold him back. Sooo if he failed his 10th grade year and did not earn enough credits to be considered an 11th grader then what? Does it matter at all if they played JV or V in this whole process? Did those few minutes of 2 V games he play change anything? Q - he could fail himself, then he would have to not play ANY sports next year?? Also, could he redshirt at all, still practice but not play.

On another side of things...if a 3.9 GPA, 1st half of year, fails the last half, and ultimately failing the year....how will this look to colleges. When he repeats the grade is it like college and the new grade overrides the old one???

ANY and all feedback is helpful....I don't want to let my son make a mistake. Part of it is sports but more of it is maturity level and in his mind competing on a level w/ kids his own age not that are a year to TWO years ahead of him.

Now what if he chooses to move out of state, how does that work? Do most states have the same laws on this?

Thank you all greatly for your detailed input.