Middle school kids starting varsity

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but now in KY you cannot play varsity football or soccer (boys or girls) until you are in 9th grade. These are considered the only true 'contact' sports is the reason for the ruling.

Acutally, the rule is that you cannot have an 8th grader and a Junior on the field at the same time. This could also apply to JV contests.

The "right".....I would like to see that one in writing. Bottom line..... it is up to the school principal. While I will agree it should be up to the parent, it is not as easy as it sounds in some counties. If you can find where it is the "right" of the parent, please post. Obviously we are not talking about kids who fail.

Sampson should be called up before Swanson..

Personally I dont think either need to be called up. They are both solid players but no reason to push them into JV ball just yet nor do I think they would excel at this level. Let them play with their teammates in Frosh ball next year as well. I am not big on moving kids up and thats just a personal thing with me.

I think it helps the kids individually become a better player but it isnt necessarily the best thing for the team or the program. I am much more impressed when I see teams that have had groups playing together for several years and showing awesome team ball.

The SV kids have a nice group and they play best when they play as a team and are functioning on all cylinders.