Question to ponder

I have watched a lot of high school basketball this year. I like to think I know a lot about the X's and O's of basketball. Yet, I go to games and wonder....what is this coach doing? I'm guessing that politics gets a lot of these guys in. But, if you were in the situation to hire a coach what would you look for?

I have watched a lot of high school basketball this year. I like to think I know a lot about the X's and O's of basketball. Yet, I go to games and wonder....what is this coach doing? I'm guessing that politics gets a lot of these guys in. But, if you were in the situation to hire a coach what would you look for?

Somebody with the last name of Code would be a good place to start. ;)

First and foremost, an ability to relate and communicate. If you can't do so, then you're not going to succeed as a coach. By "relate", I mean the ability to motivate the players, and the ability to get the parents' "buy-in". By communicate, I also mean the ability to market the team to the community in such a way that the community begins to take ownership in "their" team.

Second, someone who is a strong "fundamentals" coach - in the game of basketball, a disciplined, fundamentally-sound team quite often can and does defeat bigger, faster, more athletic opponents. And good fundamentals can be achieved despite handicaps in those other areas...

Third, someone who is egotistical enough to be confident, but humble enough to surround himself with assistant coaches who are self-thinkers - willing to constantly challenge the status quo - and who have the potential to be groomed into head coaches themselves someday.

Finally, someone who's idea of goal-setting is to reach for the Sweet 16 championship game every year, and who will refuse to use injuries, size of school, player athleticism, etc., be construed as rationale for being second-best. If you're not reaching for the stars, you can be only guaranteed of one thing - your team won't reach them.

Give me someone with those attributes, and we'll be dancing in Rupp.

I'd look for someone who is level headed enough to respect the GAME. Immediately after that, someone fitting Mike's description of a coach. With those qualities, you will have a winning program.

That being said, we need to remember that a HIGH SCHOOL coach's job is so much more than on court. Most of the players that a coach impacts will not go on to play at the next level, but need the lessons to reapply later in life. I need a coach that reinforces, both in word and action, the "right" way to do things. This may mean, but not be limited to, the way he handles practices and games, players and officials, adversity within the team, dissention, grades, attentiveness, attendance, etc...

I see too many studs come off the hardwood and/or field at schools where they've been led along by the halter and fail miserably because they were not made accountable because of their athletic ability.

I guess I'm saying the coach would have to be a ROLE MODEL above all else.

First and foremost, an ability to relate and communicate. If you can't do so, then you're not going to succeed as a coach. By "relate", I mean the ability to motivate the players, and the ability to get the parents' "buy-in". By communicate, I also mean the ability to market the team to the community in such a way that the community begins to take ownership in "their" team.

Second, someone who is a strong "fundamentals" coach - in the game of basketball, a disciplined, fundamentally-sound team quite often can and does defeat bigger, faster, more athletic opponents. And good fundamentals can be achieved despite handicaps in those other areas...

Third, someone who is egotistical enough to be confident, but humble enough to surround himself with assistant coaches who are self-thinkers - willing to constantly challenge the status quo - and who have the potential to be groomed into head coaches themselves someday.

Finally, someone who's idea of goal-setting is to reach for the Sweet 16 championship game every year, and who will refuse to use injuries, size of school, player athleticism, etc., be construed as rationale for being second-best. If you're not reaching for the stars, you can be only guaranteed of one thing - your team won't reach them.

Give me someone with those attributes, and we'll be dancing in Rupp.

Plus a coach needs some talent to get to Rupp.

I'd look for someone who is level headed enough to respect the GAME. Immediately after that, someone fitting Mike's description of a coach. With those qualities, you will have a winning program.

That being said, we need to remember that a HIGH SCHOOL coach's job is so much more than on court. Most of the players that a coach impacts will not go on to play at the next level, but need the lessons to reapply later in life. I need a coach that reinforces, both in word and action, the "right" way to do things. This may mean, but not be limited to, the way he handles practices and games, players and officials, adversity within the team, dissention, grades, attentiveness, attendance, etc...

I see too many studs come off the hardwood and/or field at schools where they've been led along by the halter and fail miserably because they were not made accountable because of their athletic ability.

Not sure I fully agree... Learning to do the right thing the right way all the time is IMO the parents job, now it never hurts for the coach to reinforce.

Fencerider I sure hope you never coach my kids. A coach is first and foremost a role model for his kids. This is a person the kids, like it or not, look up to in a way they don't look at their parents. He/She needs to remember that whatever sport they are coaching will only be played for a few more years if the kid's lucky. The lesson's the coach teaches his players will last them a lifetime. Now which one is more important, winning a ballgame or winning at life? I'll take my kid winning at life even if it means sacrificing a few wins or a state title and ring.

I agree with much that has been said. I also believe it is important to coach the team you have. Use their talents to achieve the best result. Not every coaching style suits every team. Forcing every team you coach to play a certain style as many coaches I have seen do, doesn't always result in their best performance. In your shorts defense is always important. Offense, some coaches are run and gun coaches, others are slow down look for the easy shot coaches. I know coaches that believe if your open, it's a good shot, take it. Other coaches want to run an offense every time down the floor, and pass, pass, pass, before taking a shot. I think both are fine, at the right place and right time. Some teams can and should do both. I think you become much easier to defend if you play the same constantly.You have to match the team your playing. I want a coach that is flexible and open, and can realize their team and player potential and get the most from them, no matter what style of play it may take to achieve that goal. If one style of play were the best, every team would be coached the same. I want a coach that knows how to win no matter what it takes, and sometimes that is with more than one approach.

A good basketball coach:

1. Teaches fundamentals

2. Teaches and stresses TEAM

3. Works with the talent he has

4. Prepares his team

5. Can make adjustments before and during the game

6. Teaches the game of basketball. There is a mental part of the game too!

7. Stresses STUDENT/athlete

I would say (IMO) that some varsity coaches do not want an assistant coach who challenges the status quo and are self-thinkers. A good assistant would not air opinions in the public arena but would/should in coaches meetings, game film breakdown and overall discussion among the staff in regards to strategies, etc. If the coaching staff really respects each other without letting ego's get in the way, this is not difficult. Some coaches would not want someone who may know more or relates better to players to promote their own job security. Coaches should teach players to play to their strengths, not their weaknesses. They should also be flexible enough to adjust their style of play to their personnel as it will change from year to year. As to politics, if a coach is playing politics, shame on him. You are not coaching just basketball, you are coaching young men. All players should be treated fairly, with respect and be held to a high standard. When they reflect on their high school careers ten years from now, this will be their measuring stick. Finally, I believe you can do these things and win also.

AMEN! This so important. For the overwhelming majority of the HS athletes, their HS career will be their last. Their coach can be a real positive role model for them. But honestly, I would think that this would be an automatic...if you're not a good model for your players, you shouldn't be coaching. But it won't necessarily make them a more successful coach on the court, which is what I thought the question was directed toward.

bballorange - You are dead right...some head coaches don't want smart assistants...they want "yes" men/women. And that's incredibly foolish. The game evolves over time...the kids change...rules change...a head coach needs assistants who can keep him/her from being locked into their own way of thinking. Of course, that doesn't mean the assistants challenge the head coach in public. It's what is done in the coaches' meetings where smart assistants can be tremendous assets. I always tell my team parents (rec leagues, not HS) that I surround myself with assistants who are smarter than me, because I want to learn more every year!

Thanks ColonelMike, I also agree with your assessments of quality coaches along with many of the posts on this topic. One last thing that I would like to add after watching many games over the years. Some coaches tend to overcoach. Basketball is an imperfect game. It is played imperfectly, coached imperfectly and yes, sometimes officiated imperfectly. I hate to see players look like robots because they are afraid to make a mistake. I like to see teams that play loose and with determination. Yes, strive for perfection but understand mistakes are made and can be teachable moments. I also like to see players smile every now and then. Ultimately, this is a game to be enjoyed. It is a detriment (IMO) to the team that a coach sometimes forgets this and takes all the fun out of the sport. I like to win as much as anybody (this is why they keep score) but true success in inspiring young men is not always measured in wins and losses.