The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

The players has just as much to do with a winning program, as a coach does. Just ask people from West Portsmouth about the 2002 team. West could have played without a coach and done the same! Having success with one team doesn't mean you're a good coach.

I work in Suthern Ohio and have heard several times from the guys over there about Mr. Sammons. West doesn't want him back either even though he is one of nicest coach they ever meet.;)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the parents need to let the coach do the coaching.

Recpark will you have a direct line to the new coach?;):D

I hope the new coach tells any parent or booster that questions his decisions to take their kid and/or money and go to the house and no, not a direct line, but I will help in any way that I can all he has to do is ask me and I will do everything I can do to make it happen.

Any update's on the winter weightlifting?

The new strength coach is lifting on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's after school for any kid that is participating in GCHS athletics. The football players are still lifting in 7th period as well.

I believe with the new coach coming on it will intensify.

This is an excellent point with regards to where our coaches are from. All the sports programs with the exception of girls basketball and softball are coached by Greenup alumni. All the other sports are happy with the jobs they do, but when a GC alumni was coaching the football team (and he wasn't the first), it wasn't good enough. Where does this "double standard" exude from?

With wins. That is where it separates the othe coaches, Sideline Doc

With wins. That is where it separates the othe coaches, Sideline Doc

Coach Sammons was voted by his peers as "Coach of the year" after the 2007 season and they were still on him, hard. Yes, a winning coach will get less heat thrown at him, but there is still a double standard at Greenup. It is high school football and you will have some down years. And before you say it, you can't go 3-7 year in and year out and blame it on weak players. All I am saying is that after the losses incurred from graduation from the 2007 season, the skill level and experienced dropped off considerably, especially on the o-line and d-line. And this was a huge obstacle for the coaches to get over and ultimately, couldn't. I hope that the new coach gets the opportunity to adjust before someone calls for his head. Ask Coach Fraley, it seems the honeymoon is over for him 13 games into the basketball season. GC is a tough, tough place to coach......no matter the sport.

The new strength coach is lifting on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's after school for any kid that is participating in GCHS athletics. The football players are still lifting in 7th period as well.

I believe with the new coach coming on it will intensify.

Why is there only 2 or 3 football players staying for the strength coach? From what the kids are saying, more soccer players are utilizing this luxury and not the football players. I don't care if there is no football coach to hold them accountable, they should care enough to be out there working their butts off. Raceland maxed out before Christmas and have been working as a team with weights and agilities 5 days a week and will do this until Spring ball. Greenup is getting further and further behind if this is the kind of effort being put forth waiting on a coach.

Why is there only 2 or 3 football players staying for the strength coach? From what the kids are saying, more soccer players are utilizing this luxury and not the football players. I don't care if there is no football coach to hold them accountable, they should care enough to be out there working their butts off. Raceland maxed out before Christmas and have been working as a team with weights and agilities 5 days a week and will do this until Spring ball. Greenup is getting further and further behind if this is the kind of effort being put forth waiting on a coach.

There are probably 10-12 kids on the football team that are taking advantage of this program, with the exception of the few that are on the basketball team, I really can't tell you why this is not being pushed by our admin.

This may be giving us a look at where our program is currently, which is not a good look.

I really don't understand it at all.

There are probably 10-12 kids on the football team that are taking advantage of this program, with the exception of the few that are on the basketball team, I really can't tell you why this is not being pushed by our admin.

This may be giving us a look at where our program is currently, which is not a good look.

I really don't understand it at all.

Not the administration's job to push kids to lift weights.

I guess 3-7 sounds good to them! I can tell a diffence in today football players than, when I played 6years ago. You could go to fitness world and see Russell, Raceland, Greenup County football players hitting it hard on their days off. Same at the YMCA with Ashland, Boyd County and Fairview football players. Where did they go?

Not the administration's job to push kids to lift weights.

I agree it is not the admin's job to push the kids to do it but somebody at the school should be motivating the kids that are not lifting to lift.

I know there are about a dozen of the kids that are hitting the weights hard and they are pushing the other kids to come out and lift.

Again, I am just perplexed by it, really...

I think it just shows us where the football program is currently.