The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there only 2 or 3 football players staying for the strength coach? From what the kids are saying, more soccer players are utilizing this luxury and not the football players. I don't care if there is no football coach to hold them accountable, they should care enough to be out there working their butts off. Raceland maxed out before Christmas and have been working as a team with weights and agilities 5 days a week and will do this until Spring ball. Greenup is getting further and further behind if this is the kind of effort being put forth waiting on a coach.

They are lifting in 7th period also. I know that some of the routines outlined by the strength coach are now being used during the weightlifting class. Besides transportation issues, one of the problems is that weightlifting for football is not really handled as a "team". Some boys stay, some work out during class, some are in other sports, others have jobs after school, and some just don't put in any effort at all. Greenup really needs some leadership and some organization getting the boys working together in the off season. Transportation would be a huge benefit...but having opportuntities to lift after school on other days (besides the M, W, Fri.) would also be a benefit.

They are lifting in 7th period also. I know that some of the routines outlined by the strength coach are now being used during the weightlifting class. Besides transportation issues, one of the problems is that weightlifting for football is not really handled as a "team". Some boys stay, some work out during class, some are in other sports, others have jobs after school, and some just don't put in any effort at all. Greenup really needs some leadership and some organization getting the boys working together in the off season. Transportation would be a huge benefit...but having opportuntities to lift after school on other days (besides the M, W, Fri.) would also be a benefit.

This is from Superintendent Hughes when I asked him about this issue yesterday, "We are considering an after practice activity bus that could drop off students at their respective outlying schools. Parents could pick them up at those closer locations." This should help, give our BOE a call and tell them you support this completely.

He's a good friend and I haven't talked to him about it but he would be a great hire for anybody in the area! GREAT guy, knows the game and is a kid magnet! He is going to do big things as a coach mark it down. I tried like crazy to get him and Gerad Parker hired when I moved home. UK snatched both of them up before it could happen.

Gerad Parker did an excellent job when at Raceland as an assistant, he is a football coach that anyone would be proud to have. Very knowlegable, personable and kids love him. Raceland kids loved and respected him and played their hearts out for him. I saw that first hand down here. I would had loved to have been able to keep him at Raceland and have him retire from Raceland as a coach. U.K. came calling and he couldn't pass it up. Parker is now at U.T.-Martin as the running backs coach......................

http://www.utmsports.com/coach.cfm?id=147&sport=Football

I wish him nothing but the best and I wouldn't be suprised to see him back at U.K. when Joker Phillips takes over the head coaching psition. (no inside info, just a hunch)

For football players it should be 4days a week. But 3days is okay for growth if your doing a productive workout and doing it right. Also for the first month back it's good to have that extra rest. I'm suprised that they're just down to 2 coach's now.