The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

Since the powers that be suggested that after 9 pages of posts, we start a new thread about GCHS football, this is it.

Thanks to everyone in the community for your support in keeping this discussion going. The BOE meets Monday, December 22 at Greenbo, I hope everyone turns out to support the program and show their support for the proposed changes.

Let's all model the attitude we want to see.

All for one and one for ALL.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches - We are still searching for a coach at GCHS, we have a very good pool of candidates but nothing has been promised to anyone. The job is going to be a very challenging one but there is a ton of talent both on the team and walking the halls. The support is there as you can tell just by the last thread of over 8500 views and 9 pages of post on BGP. There are folks in the community that are just waiting on someone great to make a positive change in the program and will do whatever our new coach wants and needs us to do. New field turf is on the table, new weight/strength room is going to be done, improvements to the locker rooms are coming, improvements to the overall facilities are on the table. There is a wind blowing at GCHS of positive change for the football program.

There is a coach out there that is strong enough to bring the community, the admin and the team together, we have some very good candidates, if you are thinking about this job that means something is telling you, this is for me.

If you think you are, we need you to come and make a positive change at GCHS, not just in the football program but in our community as a whole, it can and will happen with the right person, the time is now.

Are you the one?

There are quite a few names being tossed around, but as for who has actually applied, I do not know. I heard today they had done at least one interview. (but this could just be gossip.) I would like to see someone who can bring the community together so hope that it is an "outsider". You know the old addage, "an expert is someone from at least 75 miles away...!" And before anyone gets upset I am just using that as an example. IMO a coach who currently has strong ties to either the South Shore or Wurtland communities will have difficulties overcoming the prejudices parents already have for folks from the "other end of the county.."

Does anyone know how many paid assistant positions Greenup offers?

Not enough currently for a 4A school, however, we did have five this past year I believe.

I would think you need 7-8 paid assistant coaches at a 4A school to cover your offense, defense and special teams, at least.

This is one thing we will go to bat for at the BOE for our head coach if he wants us to do so, whatever he needs, we will try and do for the program.

Check out the weight room at Montgomery County - http://www.mcindiansfootball.com/mcweight.htm - no reason why GCHS can't have something this nice.

Not enough currently for a 4A school, however, we did have five this past year I believe.

I would think you need 7-8 paid assistant coaches at a 4A school to cover your offense, defense and special teams, at least.

This is one thing we will go to bat for at the BOE for our head coach if he wants us to do so, whatever he needs, we will try and do for the program.

Check out the weight room at Montgomery County - http://www.mcindiansfootball.com/mcweight.htm - no reason why GCHS can't have something this nice.

I believe we had 3 this past year.

I believe we had 3 this past year.

That will not get it done at a high level. They better up the ainty up if they want to run with the big dogs. I know in the opposite district Bell has 8 paid asst. 3 are former head coaches and 3 more will be future head coaches. If you want a bigtime program you have to be willing to fund it.

That will not get it done at a high level. They better up the ainty up if they want to run with the big dogs. I know in the opposite district Bell has 8 paid asst. 3 are former head coaches and 3 more will be future head coaches. If you want a bigtime program you have to be willing to fund it.

You are so right Leonidas! The Greenup BOE needs to, once and for all, make the decision to support the program 100%, which means putting the money on the table!

There will be a contingent of folks at the BOE meeting on 12/22/08 in support of the combination of the middle school football programs.

Danny Wright has came out front and center for this for the county and will be the lead person at the BOE.

Please be at the BOE meeting to show your support for this for our community. I really believe that this will help make our football program stronger but Big Picture just maybe this will help with mending the fences and healing the old wounds that exist in our community.