The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

So what is happening I must know LOL.:D

We have some very solid candidates as applicants currently and we are still taking applications. Matt will get the applications from the BOE in his hands on January 8, 2009. He will then start the official interview process.

Coaches that are interested and reading this thread, we are looking for the right person to come in and make a positive change in our program. Again, the support will be there for you. If you feel you are ready to make a positive difference not only in our program but in our community then you need to apply at the BOE and I urge you to contact Matt Baker, our principal at GCHS, PM me if you need his contact information.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard from a very very good source that Dontae Wright was asked to fill the position but turned it down. I think that it was the right move since he wants to stay in the ranks of the collegiate level. He will hopefully be hired onto the staff at Miami Ohio.

I talked to Dontae Wright last year at the UK football camp and by the way he talked he loved the collegiate level but would have been a great choice for Greenup.

Rob Rister will be presenting to the BOE on January 26, 2009 why we should put turf on our field at GCHS, the costs, the pros vs. the cons (through my research the pros outweigh the cons handsdown in maintenance costs alone). I do know that we have two votes that are leaning yes at this time, the board will probably vote on it at the February meeting.

We hope to be able to play football and soccer at all levels on the field in the Fall of 2009, from the youth leagues all the way through high school. This is something our kids and the community deserve, it will instill a sense of pride community wide. All the ADs I have spoke to that have field turf say there is absolutely not a reason NOT to do it.

We also have committments for the locker rooms to be renovated, the weight room will be moved and made into a first class facility in the high school and the stadium seating will be renovated.

We are going in the right direction all we need is a strong leader as a coach to come in and take this program to the level it can and will be, the program has the support from the Admin, the BOE and the community, things are going to get done that are needed to get done, the coaches that are on the fence about applying or not, you have all the reasons in the world to apply because this is currently the perfect storm, the right time to come in and make a difference in not only the football program but as I have said in the community as a whole.

Mr. Matt Baker, principal, will be getting the applications from the BOE around January 8, 2009. It is time for a coach that feels he can bring about the change that is needed to apply and accept the position when offered to him and lead GCHS to a future of success.

How much could they(Board) be spending on the upkeep of the field, when you have parents mowing it, parents painting it, fixing the holes?

Approximately how much is spent by the BOE?

Very good point Mom. I would love to see turf, but the BOE would have to currently be spending money on the facilities, for turf to save them money.

I would nix the turf idea and put my emphasis on the following;

1) Lights

2) Stands

3) Locker/weight room

4) Turf

Exactly, when you are playing a game at night and the lights go out, this has happened a few times and even photographers have complained about the lighting.

Ya your right on that one.:flame:

That is what we need to do, dream big, it all can get done. Mom55 dream big, this is just not going to be for the football team it will be used by every single kid in the county that kicks a soccer ball and/or a is on the gridiron.

Why can't Greenup County have it all, the weight room and locker room are already a done deal, Matt told me today that himself and that both will be done by Spring this year and will be a first class facility, a private contractor has already purchased the lockers for the locker room and is storing them waiting on Matt to move the weight room into the high school which will be done all this spring.

The lights from the current soccer field can come to the football field which will improve the lighting and the stands will be done, we have committments from folks on that as well.

Do we want Greenup County to be the best program that it possibly can be, then we need to start thinking that way, it is time for it to happen, don't be negative, gosh folks, that has been what the issue has been for years, think big and shoot for the stars in doing so we will at least get the moon.

:thumb:

Matt also told me that we will probably have a new coach hired by the next board meeting.

That is what we need to do, dream big, it all can get done. Mom55 dream big, this is just not going to be for the football team it will be used by every single kid in the county that kicks a soccer ball and/or a is on the gridiron.

Why can't Greenup County have it all, the weight room and locker room are already a done deal, Matt told me today that himself and that both will be done by Spring this year and will be a first class facility, a private contractor has already purchased the lockers for the locker room and is storing them waiting on Matt to move the weight room into the high school which will be done all this spring.

The lights from the current soccer field can come to the football field which will improve the lighting and the stands will be done, we have committments from folks on that as well.

Do we want Greenup County to be the best program that it possibly can be, then we need to start thinking that way, it is time for it to happen, don't be negative, gosh folks, that has been what the issue has been for years, think big and shoot for the stars in doing so we will at least get the moon.

:thumb:

Matt also told me that we will probably have a new coach hired by the next board meeting.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I do have a question about soccer being played where? I believe GCHS can have it all, but in these times, with teachers being let go everywhere, it's hard to imagine paying over 1/2 million dollars to play on turf. I know they have funding in different categories and that is ok, I guess.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I do have a question about soccer being played where? I believe GCHS can have it all, but in these times, with teachers being let go everywhere, it's hard to imagine paying over 1/2 million dollars to play on turf. I know they have funding in different categories and that is ok, I guess.

Soccer being played on the turf too... That is what most facilities do with the turf installed and use the other facilities they have for practice facilities, this opens up tournament play in the summer for soccer from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. every day and will bring in some serious funds to the athletic program at GCHS, same goes for the youth football, play all day Saturday and Sunday afternoon on the turf with no damage to the facility. I can just imagine all the kids in the county that play those sports will want to play their high school on that field, no more transfers away from GCHS, probably be some coming in to GCHS which will increase the federal money coming in to the program and will increase the budget for education, it is a business and in any business you have to spend a lil to get a lil, this will be a very wise investment for GCHS..

They ever gonna start interviews for a coach?

Our principal, Matt Baker will get the applications for the coaching job from the BOE around the 8th of this month and he will begin the official interview process at that time. He hopes to have a new coach on board very shortly after the interview process, I would think we will know by the board meeting on the 26th of this month.