Beechwood 35 Covington Catholic 21

mcpapa

Listen, everyone wants to say what is wrong with CovCath?

The truth is, the talent is down! When Rodenberg was coach, they had 2 of the most talented teams in CCH history, and 2006 may have been the most talented of all time.

Watching the game tonight, it was obvious they were a step slower than Beechwood. How can anybody blame that on the coaches?

If Rodenberg was the coach they would be 3-3 as well.

In a couple of years they are going to be the CovCath of old, only this time they will be able to sustain it. Brossart is the 1st coach to finally get the pee-wee CCH team going and that is only going to help. Plus, they are loaded in the soph and frosh classes.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a ? why does Covington Catholic alredy have two games on major networks. On a down year and after not so great of a season last year.

This televised game isn't just about CovCath, it's about the rivalry. Year in and year out, this is one of the top games in Northern Ky. These are two programs with a great tradition and people want to see them play. Unfortunately, the last couple of years the talent level for CovCath is not what it has been in the past. Tonight, Beechwood had the better athletes and they were fun to watch. I hope all of the injured kids get back on the field quickly.

This televised game isn't just about CovCath, it's about the rivalry. Year in and year out, this is one of the top games in Northern Ky. These are two programs with a great tradition and people want to see them play. Unfortunately, the last couple of years the talent level for CovCath is not what it has been in the past. Tonight, Beechwood had the better athletes and they were fun to watch. I hope all of the injured kids get back on the field quickly.

That may be an excuse for this past game agains't Beechwood, but what about the Ohio team they played in the begginning of the season.:confused:

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

My first reaction is: what is wrong with CovCath? But, after thinking for a while: are we expecting too much from CovCath?

People, me included, expect CovCath to win and be as dominate as Highlands, but I think we may be expecting to much from them. As stated, three and four years ago, they were doing very well, last year and this year they are not dominate. They have lost to two very good programs, not just good teams, but good programs.

Question: Is there a problem with CovCath, or is there a problem with what is expected from CovCath?

Listen, everyone wants to say what is wrong with CovCath?

The truth is, the talent is down! When Rodenberg was coach, they had 2 of the most talented teams in CCH history, and 2006 may have been the most talented of all time.

Watching the game tonight, it was obvious they were a step slower than Beechwood. How can anybody blame that on the coaches?

If Rodenberg was the coach they would be 3-3 as well.

In a couple of years they are going to be the CovCath of old, only this time they will be able to sustain it. Brossart is the 1st coach to finally get the pee-wee CCH team going and that is only going to help. Plus, they are loaded in the soph and frosh classes.

While Coach R might have been 3-3 also, I would be more than willing to wager that the scores wouldn't have been so lopsided! He was indeed a special Coach!

BTW do you think any team in the GCL is drolling to hire Coach Brossart at the moment?

My first reaction is: what is wrong with CovCath? But, after thinking for a while: are we expecting too much from CovCath?

People, me included, expect CovCath to win and be as dominate as Highlands, but I think we may be expecting to much from them. As stated, three and four years ago, they were doing very well, last year and this year they are not dominate. They have lost to two very good programs, not just good teams, but good programs.

Question: Is there a problem with CovCath, or is there a problem with what is expected from CovCath?

With the tradition they have, expectations should be high every year.

My question is do you really think any other coach could have coached them to a lesser beating against their opponents this season?

Yes, I do. I think OG asked this question to Highlands fans after last week's game and I'll repeat it now. Do you think if Dave Brossart was the head football coach at Highlands and Dale Mueller was the head coach at Covington Catholic that the score still would have been 61-0? Do you think John Rodenberg and Jim Hautman would have been embarrassed that bad? No these coaches would have their boys prepared physically and more importantly mentally.

IMO it was still a game and a hard fought one until middle of the third quarter...then it just got blown away. CCH losing their quarterback was a huge blow and I think it showed at the end. PVS had a GREAT game..and the defense had glimmers of hope. Teipel indeed looks like a beast...good luck CCH...its gonna be tough I think.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

As a alum, I can say it hasn't always been great being a CovCath fan. We have had good years and we have had down years but the one thing I have always seen from past CovCath teams (read coaching staffs) is that extra effort to win or at least to try to win games.

Numerous times tonight, it just seemed that Beechwood knew what play CovCath was going to call, so no matter how well the team executed the play, a B defender was there waiting to stop the play. The same thing on the D side of the ball! How many times have you seen a qb sneak for a TD from that far out? How many times did the wide open B player drop a ball before they finally caught one and ran it in for a TD!