Country Songs That Hit Home

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: :thumb:

Ryan Adams is great. As was Whiskeytown.

I really hate country. I guess I should say modern country, and I haven't listened to enough of the classic stuff to come up with a decent answer. I liked Jim's choice of "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow, and I would proffer "I Feel Alright" by Steve Earle as my choice. If we consider the Drive By Truckers country I would also add "Gravity's Gone" and "Zip City."

Bob Dylan actually wrote "Wagon Wheel," but I'm not aware if he ever recorded it.

Speaking of DBT, have you ever seen them? Going to see them at the end of October in L'ville.

Bob Dylan actually wrote "Wagon Wheel," but I'm not aware if he ever recorded it.

Speaking of DBT, have you ever seen them? Going to see them at the end of October in L'ville.

Did Dylan write the verse to "Wagon Wheel," I was under the impression they took the chorus from Dylan.

I'm planning on seeing DBT in November in Philly, so I'm looking forward to that.

Did Dylan write the verse to "Wagon Wheel," I was under the impression they took the chorus from Dylan.

You are correct, sir. OCMS actually pieced together the verses around it. I had heard that when OCMS was on the "World Cafe" program once, but I guess I forgot it. "Wagon Wheel" is one of those tunes that I love to sing at the top of my lungs -- extremely exhilarating. And I think my very loud upstairs neighbor has that coming to him shortly. :fire:

I'm planning on seeing DBT in November in Philly, so I'm looking forward to that.

They're a fantastic live band. I'll be seeing them for the third time at the end of October when they open for The Hold Steady, who I'm also very much looking forward to seeing. A particular DBT concert fave is "Let There Be Rock," which chronicles Patterson Hood's trip to see AC/DC, and some other bands of the time.

Most of the ones that "hit home" for me were after my divorce:

"Who Needs Pictures?"- Brad Paisley(written right after a long term girlfriend broke up with him after he moved to Nashville)

"Another You"- David Kersh (but written by B.P. but he hadn't gotten a deal yet. After I discovered this I understood why I liked it so much)

"Whiskey Lullaby"

"Everytime I Hear Your Name" - Keith Anderson

Love me some Whiskey Lullaby, dunno why, it's kinda a dark song, but came out during a period in which I was maybe drinking more whiskey than I should've been and feelin kinda dark.

Not doin much of either anymore but yea it's still a favorite that makes me almost always think of a time, a place, and a girl. And yes it's the same ones every time lol.

When I Get Where I'm Going - Brad Paisley

This was the last song played at my Grandpa's funeral. I love the song but get a little chocked up every time I hear it.

Another VERY VERY VERY good song, Paisley has alot of songs that really make you listen to the lyrics and really think about them.

I am glad that this thread got the response that it did. I was a little worried about what would come out of some of the posts, but glad to see that there are many songs that influence some BGP'ers lives.

Many of the songs named are awesome and I completely can see where they are coming from. One of my new favorites is Toby Keith "She never cried in front of me"...it doesn't mean as much to me now, as it would have a year and a half ago, but man it still makes me think...

Keep them coming.

I am glad that this thread got the response that it did. I was a little worried about what would come out of some of the posts, but glad to see that there are many songs that influence some BGP'ers lives.

Many of the songs named are awesome and I completely can see where they are coming from. One of my new favorites is Toby Keith "She never cried in front of me"...it doesn't mean as much to me now, as it would have a year and a half ago, but man it still makes me think...

Keep them coming.

What, did you think I wouldn't drive the discussion? Or, at least, have an opinion about others' choices? You're slipping ...