Northern Kentucky, You’re Next

Run To State

Alcohol is served at all of those establishments, it's part of what fuels the atmosphere. Taking away the option of smoking in those type of places takes away from those particular type of places appeal.

Also what am I against? I don't recall ever saying I was against smoking...

Alcohol is also served at most restaurant, and for a lot of people it is part of the atmosphere as well. I have never smoked, however, I believe that a restuarant owner should have the option to allow smoking. If that drives away some patorns than that is a risk of allowing smoking in their business.

I'm also reasonable enough to understand that I can choose to go to a smoke free restaurant if that is a big deal to me. Our government has too many laws as it is. Many of which make no sense such as what other have already pointed out with the mandatory seat belt law while bikers can ride around at 75 mph in just a t-shirt, cutoffs and flip flops.

I like Hooters chicken wings. I used to eat there fairly often. Now that I have two girls ages 5 and 3, my wife and I no longer eat there unless we are alone. They probably saw worse while on vacation at the beach, but it's not exactly the enviroment that I think my little girls should be exposed to. That being said, you won't see my trying to get the waitres to put on a sweater just to accomidate me. If enough people share my viewpoint, than perhaps we will see the wait staff wearing long pants and turtlenecks. That is the American that wish we could return to, not this politically correct can't offend anybody society that we are stuck in.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it bothers the prissies, they'll find a way.

What about peanuts in restaurants?

My question to you is, do you think it should be up to the owner/operator of the restaurant to decide if it should be smoke free or not?

We are friends with a couple whose baby is highly allerigic to peanuts, to the point that they cannot even take him into a Texas Roadhouse. Can we ban peanuts from the tables so that they will be accomidated. After all it is the most popular restaurant in Owensboro (locals don't dine at Moonlite as often as you would think) thats not fair to them that they cannot go.

While I sympathize with and can agree to the arguments smokers make about the disruption of personal rights...

LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER, since they have banned smoking in Louisville. I will probably never live in another city that doesn't ban smoking.

While I sympathize with and can agree to the arguments smokers make about the disruption of personal rights...

LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER, since they have banned smoking in Louisville. I will probably never live in another city that doesn't ban smoking.

I dont smoke and work in a hospital. I have to admit that over the years, I would get irritated with smoking employees leaving every hour or two for "just a minute" to grab a quick smoke. Naturally it usually for far more than a minute and they never missed a break or shortened their lunch breaks either.

Our patients also smoke. Often times they were so focused on smoking that they forgot why they were in the hospital. Of course I realize that it calms the nerves, and feared chaos when we went smoke free.

I was amazed at how great it has been. Now that smoking is out of the equation, it is not and issue for our patients to focus on. Ultimately they are calmer, less anxious and we are giving fewer respiratory treatments.

It is also nice to see certain employees staying around. I am sure it helps productivity!;)

Alcohol is also served at most restaurant, and for a lot of people it is part of the atmosphere as well. I have never smoked, however, I believe that a restuarant owner should have the option to allow smoking. If that drives away some patorns than that is a risk of allowing smoking in their business.

I'm also reasonable enough to understand that I can choose to go to a smoke free restaurant if that is a big deal to me. Our government has too many laws as it is. Many of which make no sense such as what other have already pointed out with the mandatory seat belt law while bikers can ride around at 75 mph in just a t-shirt, cutoffs and flip flops.

I like Hooters chicken wings. I used to eat there fairly often. Now that I have two girls ages 5 and 3, my wife and I no longer eat there unless we are alone. They probably saw worse while on vacation at the beach, but it's not exactly the enviroment that I think my little girls should be exposed to. That being said, you won't see my trying to get the waitres to put on a sweater just to accomidate me. If enough people share my viewpoint, than perhaps we will see the wait staff wearing long pants and turtlenecks. That is the American that wish we could return to, not this politically correct can't offend anybody society that we are stuck in.

Also at alot of these types of restaraunts children aren't permitted past certain hours. Examples being somwhere like gameworks in Newport. When those hours are in effect where you have to be a certain age to be in those retaraunts, then allow smoking during those hours. If that's what the owner wants.

That's your choice for one such establishment, but other than possible emotional distress and or scarring I don't think the outfits people wear carry as much potential for physical health risks as smoking does. Plus it's one place that you have to avoid, smoking causes SEVERAL places to be avoided.

On a side note, I also love hooters ummm "wings" ;)

I have read a lot of post where people say “just step outside and smoke”... So let’s say NKY bans smoking in all public places and the smokers were to go “outside” to smoke. What about the residents that live near a bar? Would you want to have people standing outside your house smoking on the sidewalk at 1:30 am? Do you think that the limited police resources should be spent on enforcing the smoking ban? Do any of you who are for the ban looked around some of the places where there is a neighborhood bar that would ultimately have to close their doors after being in the same location for generations? I think some of the people that are against the smoking ban are a little short sighted when it comes down to the independent bar owner.

I hate smoking. I support the right of restaurant owners to allow or not allow smoking in there restaurant. I would probably go to the non-smoking places.

I would not be FORCED to go to the smoking establishments, just as smokers should not be FORCED to go to the non-smoking establishments.

I hate smoking. I support the right of restaurant owners to allow or not allow smoking in there restaurant. I would probably go to the non-smoking places.

I would not be FORCED to go to the smoking establishments, just as smokers should not be FORCED to go to the non-smoking establishments.

My young friend I am wondering if you support the right of a bar/restaurant owner to refuse to serve a person because of his skin color, or refuse to follow the American Disability act in not making access to those who are handicapped? Understand bar/restaurant owners have been forced to do a lot of things that most of them would have never done years ago, if they weren't forced to do it way back when, but today, we think nothing of it.

My young friend I am wondering if you support the right of a bar/restaurant owner to refuse to serve a person because of his skin color, or refuse to follow the American Disability act in not making access to those who are handicapped? Understand bar/restaurant owners have been forced to do a lot of things that most of them would have never done years ago, if they weren't forced to do it way back when, but today, we think nothing of it.

I'm not sure your examples are relative to this particular case. Race , religion, or accessibility issues are not a choice that is being made.

Examples?

If that's a problem, complain to management, if they get enough complaints I'm sure they'll rectify the problem.

You know what's really simple? Choosing to go to a smoke free restaurant if you're that worried about secondhand smoke. See, that way nobody's forcing anything on you and you're not forcing anything on someone else. Pretty noble concept, huh.

Funny how you and others are fine with shoving smokers into thunderstorms, ice, snow, rain, sleet, etc, etc. Just allow some restaurants to be "smoke friendly" and the problem's solved. Everyone gets a choice, sounds fair to me.

That argument works the same way. No one is forcing smokers to go to restaurants where they are not allowed to smoke.

This is a very simple argument despite everyone's plea on both sides to make it difficult.

A smoker's actions at a restaurant does affect a non-smoker.

A non-smoker actions at a restaurant has ZERO effect on a smoker.

I didn't even think about the bicycle helmet law. Seriously, I just hope I never run over some splat in the road from a motorcycle wreck.

My dad received a heart transplant.

He was placed on the list in the spring.

The doctors told us it was a good time because more organs became available.

I found that interesting and inquired about why?

It seems the body from which organs are harvested needs to be brain dead but with a beating heart to keep the organs alive.

More motocyclists hit the roads in the spring when the weather turns warmer. More motorcycle wrecks which lead to more bodies that are brain dead but with a beating heart.

Many more organs become available for harvesting.

My dad was on the list about 8 days. They said that was unbelievably quick.

How are they forced? Are you expecting the police to pick them up and take them to Frisch's?

I'm not sure your examples are relative to this particular case. Race , religion, or accessibility issues are not a choice that is being made.

My take is that business owners if not forced to do some things would never do them such as serving persons of color or follow ADA standards, unless they were forced to. Many have written saying that business owners should be able to choose do what they want to do, but I am saying, that many times in the past the only way to get business owners to change was to force them. I am not saying that all business owners don't do the right thing, but many don't in the name of, it's my business I will do what I want to do.

What really is a shame, is that this issue of smoking or non smoking in most of the USA is a non subject anymore as even here in Kentucky most of the larger cities are smoke free. If not today, then tomorrow it will happen in NKy.

BTW accessibility is a issue in a bar or restaurant that allows smoking if you are sicken by the smell of cigarette smoke.

To be honest, I restaurant that does not allow handicaps or minorities is the kind of place that I would NEVER, EVER, EVER patronize, but I support a private citizen's right.

Now, for government agencies to deny based on race, handicapped, etc. is a different story. But I support the right of a private citizen to deny service to anyone. Just they shouldn't expect my support with such an exclusive and biased principle.

How are they forced? Are you expecting the police to pick them up and take them to Frisch's?

In one scenario, smokers can not eat out and smoke, which is good for non-smokers, but private citizens are deprived of the ability to run their private enterprise as they choose.

In the other scenario, everyone has the choice between smoking and non-smoking establishments.

First of all, I am against government targeting a minority (smokers) for political gain. Secondly, I am against government intrusion into the private sector.