Cubs aquire Rich Harden

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've learned as a life long Cubs fan never to get my hopes up for anything. However, if everyone gets and stays healthy from here on out then the Cubs have one of the best if not the best all around teams in baseball. Their record being on top or in the top three in the majors for the majority of the season should prove that.

If Harden is healthy he has tremendous stuff and pitching in the NL should be easier for him. He should see many more wins considering he has much more offense behind him now. He may give up more long balls though at Wrigley, but as long as he is healthy I have no worries about him getting it done on the mound. I saw this rumor last night, and I so hoped it would get done. Like I said being a Cubs fan you learn not to get your hopes up though no matter the circumstances, but this is by far the best team that we have assembled in years. If pitching the way they are capable of and have been so far this year (dempster), a playoff rotation of Zambrano, Harden, and Dempster, is great. Kerry Wood saving games, and Gaudin now coming in to fill many valuable late innings should really solidify the Bullpen for the late chase.

As long as the bats keep swinging the way they have been, and as long as everyone can get healthy and not break down, I really love this deal, this team, and most definately their chances (not only NL Central wise, but NL, and World Series wise).

However, with all that said, I have been a lifelong Cubs fan, so I do realize no matter how good everything looks right now, that doesn't mean anything. You learn to not get your hopes up. So Rocket........I love ya, your a great fellow Cubies fan but lets not put any more jinx's on ourselves than we already have. Believe me, I am as excited as you, Scribe, and the others, but as you guys should know as well we better wait untill after October before we celebrate. :D :lol:

On that note.....Go Cubies!!!!

Makes me skeptical if Bean was quick to let Harden go when the A's are only 5 back. Maybe he knows something we don't. Like,,,,,,,Harden will be lucky to make to Sept. healthy. Just makes me wonder.

Makes me skeptical if Bean was quick to let Harden go when the A's are only 5 back. Maybe he knows something we don't. Like,,,,,,,Harden will be lucky to make to Sept. healthy. Just makes me wonder.

It really shouldn't though...I mean he wheels and deals every good pitcher that was on the team. Hudson, Haren, Harden..He would have traded Zito but wouldn't have got that much for him.

It really shouldn't though...I mean he wheels and deals every good pitcher that was on the team. Hudson, Haren, Harden..He would have traded Zito but wouldn't have got that much for him.

But he got squat in return for Harden. If it's a salary dump, then I get it.

I was thinking the same thing, but Hendry said that the A's were very accomodating with medical records and their doctors being available to the Cubs to talk to.

I can imagine the Cubs looked at EVERYTHING before going through with it. I can't imagine Bean doing something like that. I also think that's why the Cubs asked for the reliever to be essentially "thrown in" with Harden. As insurance in case Harden would go on the DL again.

Yeah I don't get it either...Because if Harden is hurt then you'd figure he'd take the best offer he had to get the best talent in return...I dunno though.

I wouldn't say squat.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8328148/Notebook:-Will-Dodgers-ever-make-a-move??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=3498

Around the horn

Think the Cubs stole Harden? Think again. One rival GM says he "loves" the four-player return that the A's received for Harden and Chad Gaudin, saying, "I wouldn't bet against (Sean) Gallagher helping the A's win more games in the next year-and-a-half than Harden helps the Cubs." The A's needed to include Gaudin to persuade the Cubs to part with Gallagher, whom most scouts project as a No. 3 or No. 4 starter. Gaudin, 25, is only two-and-a-half years older than Gallagher, but the A's will control Gallagher for six years, while Harden is a free agent after 2009, Gaudin after 2010 . . .

Oakland plays this game all the time, trading established pitchers when their salaries escalate for good young guys that they can control for the next 3-4 years. The A's turned Mark Mulder into Dan Haren, and then Haren into Greg Smith and Dana Eveland.

Now they're doing it with Harden and Gallagher, and given Beane's ability to find good young pitchers, Gallagher could be a really good fit for them. I would see Gaudin as some sort of insurance for Harden.