8th Region 2008-09

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree its SK region to lose. Shelby just doesn't seem to understand the game like I thought they would at this point, they don't play as a team and are very selfish to date. They have a couple players that need to step up demand the ball. Anderson is to predictable, stop Fultz and they won't score 20 points a game. When they start playing better teams that know to stop her they will struggle. SK is the whole package and proves it every night. No other real threats in a weak region. Just my opinion.

In Anderson's defense, they have beaten several nice teams (Lafayette and Henry Clay) and their only loss has come against a top 20 Nelson team when they had several starters out. Shelby seems to be still finding its way, but Coach Zimmerman will have them in much better shape by the end of February--she always does. That being said, Simon is still the favorite.

I saw SC play this summer and I am not sure who LeCompte is but the whole team was very different in their talent level. I agree on the Coaching though!

I think SK and AC will be at the top, but I think there could be some surprises.

Right now, SK and Anderson are on a level all their own. May change by the end of the year, but they are clearly ahead of the others at this time (but December has crowned few region champs!).

South Oldham and Shelby appear to be on the second tier right now. South is honestly better than I expected at this point of the season. Their freshmen are contributing a lot more than I expected this early, although they are still freshmen and making freshmen mistakes. Shelby is growing into itself...probably should have lost that game at South Oldham when the Lady Dragons forced over 30 turnovers, but came away with the hard-fought one point win. I'm a big fan of LeCompte, but I don't think she can carry this team by herself. The 8th grader is set to join the team; it'll be interesting to see what kind of effect she has.

Carroll is making some noise here early, and looks to be next on the list. The Lady Panthers are playing well.

SK is slightly ahead of Anderson right now IMO. They are playing really well. Anderson is still trying to figure out what kind of team they are, and have yet to have a full squad in any game this season. Fultz is a superstar, and Davenport is a very nice compliment. If the other parts can start to come around Anderson will be right there with Simon by years end.

Early season 8th region matchup tomorrow night in Shelby County as Oldham and Anderson square of in the 2nd round of the Lady Rocket Invitational. It will be a good chance for Oldham and Anderson to see where they stand.....

SK, IMO has the best combination of talent and coaching in the 8th.

I think they can compete with and beat most teams in the 9th.

I do not think the 8th is as deep as the 9th. I would like to se SK play Highlands, Notre Dame and Conner. I think all of these match ups would be great games.

Today watched SK drop to Butler 46-42 in a great game at Lex. Cath. Tourney. Butler looked very relieved to walk out with this one. SK is still playing with injuries healing and players returning. One Figggins twin (Sr.) working back in and Brown (Jr.) expected back in Jan. When all is healthy they should be even better. Their D is smothering. Keep an eye on them. IMO today was a big view of how they could be state sleeper. Cannot believe they are not in top 20!

SK is slightly ahead of Anderson right now IMO. They are playing really well. Anderson is still trying to figure out what kind of team they are, and have yet to have a full squad in any game this season. Fultz is a superstar, and Davenport is a very nice compliment. If the other parts can start to come around Anderson will be right there with Simon by years end.

I agree. Right now, SK appears to be cementing their position as a slight favorite over Anderson, but perhaps only because they've had some opportunities vs. top-caliber opposition that Anderson hasn't had yet...

Early season 8th region matchup tomorrow night in Shelby County as Oldham and Anderson square of in the 2nd round of the Lady Rocket Invitational. It will be a good chance for Oldham and Anderson to see where they stand.....

I'm not sure Oldham is quite ready for Anderson yet. This is a tremendous opportunity for them to see what they can do against a top-caliber opponent, but I think the Lady Colonels still have some development ahead of them. They're getting there under new coach Larry Just...there's talent on the floor, it just has to come together for them.

I do not think the 8th is as deep as the 9th. I would like to se SK play Highlands, Notre Dame and Conner. I think all of these match ups would be great games.

Although I'd love to be able to disagree on behalf of my beloved 8th region, I have to agree with this statement. The 8th is unbelievably young in most quarters this year, and as a region, is not as deep as it has been in the past. Over the next two years, that may change dramatically. Right now, the 8th is working its way back to its glory days when it was one of the elite regions in the state...

I agree. The 8th's young talent is going to be pretty fun to watch over the next few years. South's freshman class is well documented. Oldham has good young talent. Anderson has the big freshman and some middle school kids on varsity. Shelby is always going to be Shelby. Simon has some good young kids. If a couple of the smaller schools have the talent that we read about on here, the 8th will be loaded in a few short seasons.

Anderson is extremely young behind this seinor class. They have 1 Junior (who is starting varsity) 3 Sophmores and 1 Freshman (who is starting Varsity). The rest of the squad is Middle School kids. Their JV team only has 3 high school kids on it! They start 3 middle school kids and two 7th graders, and the JV team is 6-0 to date. Anderson will probably struggle next season, but the future is certainly bright. The two 7th graders that start for the JV might be two of the best players in the state their age.

Anderson is extremely young behind this seinor class. They have 1 Junior (who is starting varsity) 3 Sophmores and 1 Freshman (who is starting Varsity). The rest of the squad is Middle School kids. Their JV team only has 3 high school kids on it! They start 3 middle school kids and two 7th graders, and the JV team is 6-0 to date. Anderson will probably struggle next season, but the future is certainly bright. The two 7th graders that start for the JV might be two of the best players in the state their age.

Wow. At Shelby, the 8th grader who's starting to play with the varsity is supposed to be tremendous. Hardly wait to see her.

At South, a freshman starts at point and is the #2 scorer at about 11 ppg... and 5 of 11 roster players are freshmen.

At Owen, Gayheart leads the team in scoring (freshman).

At North Oldham, freshman Nicole Bryant leads the Lady Mustangs in scoring.

Trimble County's 8-player roster includes 3 freshmen and an 8th-grader - half the roster!

I believe W-V is getting a big lift from their freshmen...

(They're everywhere, they're everywhere!)

What's comical is that South Oldham is considered one of the youngest teams in the region... By next year, they could be one of the most veteran.

How true. Of course, it's hard not to consider South and Trimble to be two of the youngest teams in the region...how many teams have half (Trimble) or nearly half (5/11 for South) of their roster composed of freshmen or younger?

The last time I saw a team with a ton of freshmen playing key roles - South, 4 years ago - they matured quickly against a solid schedule and became more than competitive as sophomores. Of course, they also had a D-1 talent in Lauren Jones as part of that group, and most schools aren't going to be that fortunate.

But I would agree with you that, yes, South will be a seasoned team next year...although you have to remember, they will still be sophomores...there are certain things no amount of games can replace. Physical, emotional, and mental maturity don't always develop with game experience... we'll see. (But Frank Wright should be excited about his team's future)