8th Region 2008-09

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOPS! Good catch, Crazy 8s...got to typing too fast. I started to type the sentence talking about this year's sophomore class...and the sentence "morphed" into "last year's" class as I was typing it.

You're correct, the kids I'm referring to are this year's sophomores.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

As I've stated on a different post, AC with Flutz, SK with Tolliver and SC with Lecompte will be the only real contenders because of talent, coaching staff and players knowledge of the game. Not meaning this to sound harsh, I really don't but it is the facts.

As I've stated on a different post, AC with Flutz, SK with Tolliver and SC with Lecompte will be the only real contenders because of talent, coaching staff and players knowledge of the game. Not meaning this to sound harsh, I really don't but it is the facts.

I saw SC play this summer and I am not sure who LeCompte is but the whole team was very different in their talent level. I agree on the Coaching though!

I think SK and AC will be at the top, but I think there could be some surprises.

With not quite a full month of practices on the books, and the scrimmages and the panoramas around the corner, everyone's speculations will soon be tested the new reality. It will be very interesting to see who has made bonafide strides toward becoming "legit" top teams and top players, and I think a lot of folks are eager and anxiously looking forward to another enjoyable season of girl's hoops in the 8th.

FYI - The new OC Lady Colonels' regime is slightly off many observers' radar screens - but probably not for long. Under the guiding hand Coach Just, look for them to now be a well-drilled, well-organized, and a well-disciplined outfit - and when the girls catch on and buy all the way in, they wiil turn a good number people's heads.

With not quite a full month of practices on the books, and the scrimmages and the panoramas around the corner, everyone's speculations will soon be tested the new reality. It will be very interesting to see who has made bonafide strides toward becoming "legit" top teams and top players, and I think a lot of folks are eager and anxiously looking forward to another enjoyable season of girl's hoops in the 8th.

FYI - The new OC Lady Colonels' regime is slightly off many observers' radar screens - but probably not for long. Under the guiding hand Coach Just, look for them to now be a well-drilled, well-organized, and a well-disciplined outfit - and when the girls catch on and buy all the way in, they wiil turn a good number people's heads.

interesting:jump:

I agree 100%. I think the Lady Colonels are the team "most likely" to take the next step up and challenge SK, Anderson, and Shelby. I look for Just to make an immediate impact at coach, and he has the talent on the team to make the noise...

Of course, it's all delightul conjecture at this time...the real fun starts in a few short weeks! :D

That is the key phrase...when - that may be his toughest task. He definitely has the knowledge and the right staff - it just may take a year to get that all under control. Melton was huge for them last year and they do not have anyone significant to replace her right away.

I still say that South Oldham could be the big surpise this year .......again all speculation , as Colonel Mike says, but they have tons of freshman talent. They may be a year away but who knows............

I was talking with Sally Zimmerman of Shelby County last week, and we were discussing how everyone in the 8th this year is looking for that Lauren Jones or Rachele Gray - a player who comes in as a freshman and has an immediate, powerful impact.

Gray (Shelby Co.) was one of the best all-around players to hit the girls' 8th Region ever, and Lauren Jones not only had an immediate impact at South Oldham as a freshman, she was the Lady Dragons' leading scorer ALL FOUR years... everybody's looking for a Gray or Jones this year to come out of the woodwork... The 8th has had a number of star freshmen over the years... I'm hearing about several talented freshmen coming in this year...the question is 'which one will deliver when the lights come on'?

It's gonna be fun!!!! :thumb:

I was talking with Sally Zimmerman of Shelby County last week, and we were discussing how everyone in the 8th this year is looking for that Lauren Jones or Rachele Gray - a player who comes in as a freshman and has an immediate, powerful impact.

Gray (Shelby Co.) was one of the best all-around players to hit the girls' 8th Region ever, and Lauren Jones not only had an immediate impact at South Oldham as a freshman, she was the Lady Dragons' leading scorer ALL FOUR years... everybody's looking for a Gray or Jones this year to come out of the woodwork... The 8th has had a number of star freshmen over the years... I'm hearing about several talented freshmen coming in this year...the question is 'which one will deliver when the lights come on'?

From what I hear there is a talented 8th grader at Shelby West Middle School that will be a big impact player for Shelby Co High this year- perhaps even starting..... any rumors to that?

Sydney Brown from Anderson County is going to have a big impact. She's going to start and she has the potential to carry a team. She won't be asked to do that with this team because of Fultz, but she's going to be a great player in the region over the next four years.

Shelby has a very talented 8th grader....don't know a lot about her however, have just heard things about her. Not sure if she's starting (or even playing) varsity this season or not.

South Oldham has a very talented Freshman as well. She was a VERY nice player as an 8th grader last year. They played her at point, although im not sure if that's where she will play on the varsity or not. She was tall and very athletic.

Like I have said all along SC will be deep and a very fun team to watch this year. They have six guards and four fowards and will play a fast pace full court pressure and run and guns, They will by mid Dec. start a freshman at the point a jr at two guard sr at the three, 8th grader at four an sr at five. The bench will have 2 jr 2 sr and a soph. Two deep at each position without losing much. Possibly the best team (1 thru 10) Zimmermann has had. Should be fun.