8th Region 2008-09

The 8th region will be minus a number of fine players due to graduation - and several of them are readying to begin their collegiate careers. This was a very strong senior class, and these young ladies played huge roles in the successes of their teams over the last four years.

With that said, what about the future in the 8th? Simon Kenton and Anderson Co., return strong casts of veterans, and Oldham Co. returns several starters and top reserves from a district champion team. After that, it appears to be up for grabs, with several A-schools having high hopes for advancing in region play. Shelby Co. and South Oldham will have to do some rebuilding but have good groups of young players who might blossom by district time. How about some more thoughts on this subject???

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 8th region will be minus a number of fine players due to graduation - and several of them are readying to begin their collegiate careers. This was a very strong senior class, and these young ladies played huge roles in the successes of their teams over the last four years.

With that said, what about the future in the 8th? Simon Kenton and Anderson Co., return strong casts of veterans, and Oldham Co. returns several starters and top reserves from a district champion team. After that, it appears to be up for grabs, with several A-schools having high hopes for advancing in region play. Shelby Co. and South Oldham will have to do some rebuilding but have good groups of young players who might blossom by district time. How about some more thoughts on this subject???

I posted on the other topic about Shelby Co. something very similar but I think that Simon Kenton and Anderson will be the dominant teams this year in the 8th. I think that Oldham has added a very experienced top new head coach, Larry Just, which will make them better but I am not sure about them talent wise this year. They do have some talented sophomores but I am not sure that they will be able to carry the load without the bigs that they have had inside the past 4 years They lost much in Melton who carried them in the 4th quarter to their district win over South Oldham and Huckvale who was a HUGE prescence in the paint.

South Oldham has some key players returning from last year but the verdict is still out on them as to how they will adjust. Once they all adjust to their new roles, I think that they will suprise some people. They have a very large talented class of incoming freshman who are by far the best talent in the county this year. Last year, the most talented incoming freshman player transferred to Oldham eventhough she was in South's district.

Shelby is lacking a dominant go to player that they have had for as long as I can remember- Marshall, Slaughter, Green, and now Gray. All D1 players and unless the younger Slaughter returns, which rumor has it may happen due to her mothers illness, they will be probably have a rebuiliding year. If she does return for her jr season, they will be in the running with Simon Kenton and Anderson.

I think that Walton also will be a few years since they lost so many seniors. There were alot of teams that lost significant seniors and it really just depends on how those teams fill those spots and if the players can step up and get the job done.

Other than Simon Kenton and Anderson, IMO it is extremely wide open this year. I just think that either of those teams will be too tough to beat this season- but who knows it is only summer and alot can happen between now and the fall.

• 2 weeks later...
I know the Class "A" Schools don't get much respect in the 8th, and frankly they need to earn it. But I would not be suprised if Gallatin, Carroll, W-V, and Williamstown all make some noise this year and down the road.

WV will definitely make some noise the next 4yrs.

Don't underestimate what Coaches Miller and Trame can get out of their players.

I'm not underestimating Coaches Miller and Trame, both are very good coaches. But they can't teach experience and maturity. The Ladycats are going to be extremely young and inexperienced. There's alot of talent but it's going to take some time for them to mature.

I wish I had a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the 8th region this year but I think that it is going to be a wild year. Teams like Williamstown, Gallatin and Carroll, that have been young are now the veterens and others have a whole new bunch.

I really could not tell anything from Summer ball..so many teams were incomplete and playing to teach the girls. I think it will be a complete surprise who represents the 8th this year at the sweet 16.

I would love to see a small class A school go!

I wish I had a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the 8th region this year but I think that it is going to be a wild year. Teams like Williamstown, Gallatin and Carroll, that have been young are now the veterens and others have a whole new bunch.

I really could not tell anything from Summer ball..so many teams were incomplete and playing to teach the girls. I think it will be a complete surprise who represents the 8th this year at the sweet 16.

Agree...the 8th is wide open I think! Anderson is still solid from what I hear. Simon Kenton is also still strong, although I believe Conley will be missed more than expected.

I'm not underestimating Coaches Miller and Trame, both are very good coaches. But they can't teach experience and maturity. The Ladycats are going to be extremely young and inexperienced. There's alot of talent but it's going to take some time for them to mature.

This a a valid point for numerous teams in the 8th this upcoming season- there are very few teams that are returning an experienced veteran squad. The nod would have to go to Simon & Anderson there IMO- they both lost some key players but have players who can step right in where those experienced players left off. I said it earlier, but the 8th is more wide open than it has been for a few years which does open the doors for some teams that are not usually dominant- I am not sure though if any of them can win the region- Anderson, Simon along with Shelby play pretty tough schedules which will hellp them immensely come tournament time.

Edited by STRIKE3
fixed quote

I do not think that we should underestimate Spencer Co. either. With Shelby having a re-building year, they may well be strong in their district.

Grant returns some strong players also. If you look at the districts, you never know how they might end up seeded. Anderson will be strong but they lost a lot of really talented shooters.