Who are the best freshmen and sophomores in 08

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach4life this is a tad off topic, but I am really confused about the rules concerning 8th graders playing up in football. I thought that you couldn't, and now I am hearing different things. Could somebody give me a simplified explanation and give me a link to the rules concerning this?

Thanks

Coach4life this is a tad off topic, but I am really confused about the rules concerning 8th graders playing up in football. I thought that you couldn't, and now I am hearing different things. Could somebody give me a simplified explanation and give me a link to the rules concerning this?

Thanks

Bylaw 4. Enrollment

d) Pupils in grades 1-8 may play on the high school team if such

participation is not in confl ict with Section © above, and the

time so played shall not be counted on the eight (8) semester

limit. EXCEPTION: Students below grade nine (9) may not

participate on the varsity team in contests in the sports of

football or soccer, and students enrolled below grade seven

(7) may not participate on the varsity level in wrestling. The

provisions of this restriction shall not apply to non-varsity teams

participating in these sports.

Bylaws

Maybe that's just what we've been taught in our part of the state. I keep reading over and over about these 8th graders playing on Freshmen teams and JV teams and I always thought, as you, that it wasn't legal. I thought that you had 4 years of high school football. But there is also this big indepth rule about "limitaion of seasons" and yet we see very clearly that most all the high schools in Kentucky play "Summer basketball ball" as teams with their coach. So I guess what I am asking is, where's the loop hole to the 4 year rule?

Travis Elliott from Ryle will be a tough player. He played some JV last year as an 8th grader.
My only question is why would a school as big as Ryle play a kid that is an 8th grader?????? I know it was only jv but there's got to be some sophomore's and jr's that they should be developing.

That's a good question. Also isn't it kinda risky to do this as an 8th grader. As I have read the rules now, if a junior steps onto the field , say during a JV game, then your 8th grader's high school clock starts ticking. Bye Bye to their senior year. I guess I am gonna say the understatement of the year.... the KHSAA rules are very confusing sometimes.

That's a good question. Also isn't it kinda risky to do this as an 8th grader. As I have read the rules now, if a junior steps onto the field , say during a JV game, then your 8th grader's high school clock starts ticking. Bye Bye to their senior year. I guess I am gonna say the understatement of the year.... the KHSAA rules are very confusing sometimes.

The clock starts ticking if the eigth grader plays in a varsity game. I think you have misinterpreted the rules. Then again maybe I have misread what you are trying to say.

Kids under grade nine (9) "..may not participate (practice, scrimmage, or play) in any non-varsity (freshment,junior varsity, ect.) level teams in football or soccer if any member of the team they are representing or the team they are competing against is enrolled in any grade above grade ten(10)..."

It goes on to say that it is the school who is allowing the 8th grader to play's responsiblity to make sure that this happens.

I could 100% be wrong on this. Like I said, it's confusing, but I interpret that to mean if you are an 8th grader and you play, scrimmage or practice with juniors and up, then your clock has started ticking....if you get caught. lol

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw4.pdf

Kids under grade nine (9) "..may not participate (practice, scrimmage, or play) in any non-varsity (freshment,junior varsity, ect.) level teams in football or soccer if any member of the team they are representing or the team they are competing against is enrolled in any grade above grade ten(10)..."

It goes on to say that it is the school who is allowing the 8th grader to play's responsiblity to make sure that this happens.

I could 100% be wrong on this. Like I said, it's confusing, but I interpret that to mean if you are an 8th grader and you play, scrimmage or practice with juniors and up, then your clock has started ticking....if you get caught. lol

Well there you go. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The clock starts ticking if the eigth grader plays in a varsity game. I think you have misinterpreted the rules. Then again maybe I have misread what you are trying to say.

The "clock" that you speak of does not start ever until the 8th grader is promoted to 9th grade. He/she then has 4 consecutive years of eligibility.

The "clock" that you speak of does not start ever until the 8th grader is promoted to 9th grade. He/she then has 4 consecutive years of eligibility.

I guess saying their "clock" has started clicking is an assumption. At the very least, if an 8th grader plays, scrmmages, or practices with a kid that is above the 10th grade then they are violating the rules. It doesn't say what the penalty will be.

This rule is "news to me" so I can very well be wrong. I'd never heard this before.

Greenup County has a lot of talent in the sophomore class. Kitchen and Grayson will probably both start on "o" and "d" line's. Corey Lyle could turn out to be the suprise RB in the area this year. Also watch out for receiver Ryerson. He and Craft could connect quite a bit this year.

Thanks

From what I understand, the KHSAA rules for four consecutive years does not start until a player is enrolled in 9th grade. In Boone County, the middle schools do not have football teams, so some of the more talented players sometimes play freshman ball with the high school.

However, this thread was about incoming 9th and 10th graders who are good football players. Now, with Ryle being a large football school, Elliott will probably not play varsity, be he is still an exceptional player. I saw him play against Boone freshman last year and he was unstoppable. I think he ran for a lot of yards and had at least 3 touchdowns. This was as an 8th grader, so I'm assuming that as he gets older and matures, he will be a player that a lot of people will be talking about. He did play JV after freshman ball was over, but he I don't think he played much at all.