Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I Got Elected! . . .

Featured Replies

. . . to the School-Based Decision Making Council here at Bardstown. Had my training this week. Never realized how much law there was.
Congratulations big guy! I'm sure you'll make a big impact. :thumb:
  • Replies 35
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Hearsay! I was on a SBDMC several years ago and it was a good experience for a parent. Our first job was to hire a principal. The Council worked well and the decision was made by consensus (not majority vote). Everyone got to express there opinions and made their case for who they thought would be the best person for the job. This process worked well and the principal was hired based on our (parents and teachers) recommendation. My two years on the Council was very rewarding and I felt that we made responsible decisions and all members worked together. If I can be of any assistance, PM me. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience.

Congrats! People like you are very under-appreciated.

Better start studying your KRS's and your KAR's!!!

Congrats! People like you are very under-appreciated.

Better start studying your KRS's and your KAR's!!!

:thumb::thumb: Congrats :ylsuper:

. . . to the School-Based Decision Making Council here at Bardstown. Had my training this week. Never realized how much law there was.

 

Curious about everyone's thoughts about this body. Efficacy, original intent, practical application, etc. One thing I know, probably 500-600 parents at the school, and I was elected on only 14 votes. Pitiful.

 

They can be good boards as long as parents & teachers are there for all kids. Not just their own.

 

IMO most site base get a bad rap because to many parents are not looking out for what is best for all kids.

 

Plus if you have a solid leader in your principal he or she will control the board and make things go smooth.

 

Good Luck. I served on one that argued about the amount of copy paper teachers used. Waste of my and the schools time.

Congrats Hearsay! Go kick some butt!

I served on one and have seen them be wonderful bodies that did a lot of good.

And seen them as bodies to get at the principal by teachers/parents and do nothing or hurt.

Well done my friend. Served several terms myself and like you, had the best interest of the students first. I don't do well, in that special interest group setting and hiring process, that goes along with.

 

Speak your mind and do what is right, as the system should benefit.

Been there - Done that. You're still at the mercy of higher powers.

. . . to the School-Based Decision Making Council here at Bardstown. Had my training this week. Never realized how much law there was.

 

Curious about everyone's thoughts about this body. Efficacy, original intent, practical application, etc. One thing I know, probably 500-600 parents at the school, and I was elected on only 14 votes. Pitiful.

 

:thumb:Good for you Hearsay..I have had a couple of friends that have served in the past on the SBDM Councils and one of the things that they didn't realize was just how much say the SBDM has in the running of the school. Also it is rather unfair in the way that it is set up with at least the ones I'm aware of with a principal, 3 teachers and only 2 parents. Don't be intimidated by the principal or teachers and don't be afraid to speak up and have a voice. Often times the principal and the teachers don't live in the community and they don't always understand or take the time to understand some of the communities concerns when it comes to their school. IMO SBDMs have too much power and unfortunately only the principal and teachers know what that power is. The principals tend to view SBDMs as a necessary evil so they try to flood the parents with numbers and statistics in order to keep you from addressing some of the issues that the community wants to see addressed. (Drug Policies, Dress Codes, etc)

14 votes sounds about right. My friend got elected with 8 votes one year. The principals and the schools that I'm familar with do a very poor job of notifying parents of SBDM nominations and elections. They tend to do that for a reason. Often times they try to handpick the parents that go along with them on everything and encourage them to run for the SBDM.

Honestly IMO too much power has been taken away from local school boards and given to SBDMs and it is often times possible that no one on the SBDM lives within that schools community.

Congratulations and good luck and remember you are their for the kids and you will do well.

Honestly IMO too much power has been taken away from local school boards and given to SBDMs and it is often times possible that no one on the SBDM lives within that schools community.

I think that's wrong. It seems like everytime someone runs for the board, they got some agenda going. All the board members I know are fool of themselfs. They just wanna be king of the school hill. Maybe if we got rid of the boards the schools would do better.

I think that's wrong. It seems like everytime someone runs for the board, they got some agenda going. All the board members I know are fool of themselfs. They just wanna be king of the school hill. Maybe if we got rid of the boards the schools would do better.

 

You are exactly correct in your analysis. Maybe the school boards giving a little power up is a good thing, in my experience if you place to much power in one place you run the risk of impropriety. After all, what are the qualification to be a school board member? A residence in the school district? Not, necessarily more qualified then the SBDMC.

 

 

 

Just live'un the dream, man.

I also was a SBDMC member, several years ago. I enjoyed the experience; but a couple of those 3-2 votes were frustrating.

Honestly IMO too much power has been taken away from local school boards and given to SBDMs and it is often times possible that no one on the SBDM lives within that schools community.

 

This sounds very much like an opinion a school board member would voice.

 

 

 

 

Just live'un the dream, man.

I think that's wrong. It seems like everytime someone runs for the board, they got some agenda going. All the board members I know are fool of themselfs. They just wanna be king of the school hill. Maybe if we got rid of the boards the schools would do better.

 

:laugh:OK, W/E. You may well be correct, but so to are the Superintendents and Principals or at least the ones I've come into contact with. If you don't believe me take a look at the current Commissioner of Education and former state rep and superintendent that represents our state.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.