June 29, 200818 yr . . . to the School-Based Decision Making Council here at Bardstown. Had my training this week. Never realized how much law there was. Curious about everyone's thoughts about this body. Efficacy, original intent, practical application, etc. One thing I know, probably 500-600 parents at the school, and I was elected on only 14 votes. Pitiful.
June 29, 200818 yr Congratulations, Hearsay! I have 0 knowledge of the system, so I can't answer your questions, or comment, but I'm certainly happy for you!:thumb:
June 29, 200818 yr I was on one for 2 years, dont mean to bust your bubble but you sort of have no power as a parent. When it comes to hiring and other decisions you can give your opinion but the principal doesnt have to do what the council says. He or she has the ultimate power.
June 29, 200818 yr . . . to the School-Based Decision Making Council here at Bardstown. Had my training this week. Never realized how much law there was. Curious about everyone's thoughts about this body. Efficacy, original intent, practical application, etc. One thing I know, probably 500-600 parents at the school, and I was elected on only 14 votes. Pitiful. Congrats!
June 29, 200818 yr Author I was on one for 2 years, dont mean to bust your bubble but you sort of have no power as a parent. When it comes to hiring and other decisions you can give your opinion but the principal doesnt have to do what the council says. He or she has the ultimate power. I am concerned about curriculum, books, and tests. I at least have the right to review them. They start side-stepping me, and we go to court. They start ignoring me, I go to the paper. I am not a yes-man.
June 29, 200818 yr . . . to the School-Based Decision Making Council here at Bardstown. Had my training this week. Never realized how much law there was. Curious about everyone's thoughts about this body. Efficacy, original intent, practical application, etc. One thing I know, probably 500-600 parents at the school, and I was elected on only 14 votes. Pitiful. I thought they were called "site-based" decision-making councils? One more example of Bardstown doing things differently from everyone else. Congratulations, but I do agree that it is disappointing that there isn't more participation. Can a non-parent get involved?
June 29, 200818 yr I am concerned about curriculum, books, and tests. I at least have the right to review them. They start side-stepping me, and we go to court. They start ignoring me, I go to the paper. I am not a yes-man. What's to say the paper doesn't ignore you as well?
June 29, 200818 yr I am concerned about curriculum, books, and tests. I at least have the right to review them. They start side-stepping me, and we go to court. They start ignoring me, I go to the paper. I am not a yes-man. Really - we would have never known it:D I hope you'll enjoy and I know you will always look out for the kids:thumb:
June 29, 200818 yr What one must realize the power of any individual is limited by law and the parent reps are a minority on the board. So even if there is something you are passionate about, you can be outvoted.
June 29, 200818 yr Congratulations, Hearsay. I never served on a council but I was on a committee that drafted a school district's policy for its SBDMs back when KERA first took effect. The KEA, through its local officers made a power grab by writing the document and the district's superintendent was about to rubber stamp it when word leaked to a group of parents. Details of the policy leaked and parents were eventually allowed to help rewrite it. Unless things have changed, the amount of power SBDMs have varies greatly by school district, depending on district policy. If I recall correctly, our district settled on SBDMs having two parents, two school employees, and the principal. The principal had sole control of the meeting agendas, so having a good principal who was open to parental input determined how effective the councils were.
June 29, 200818 yr Congratulations, Hearsay. I never served on a council but I was on a committee that drafted a school district's policy for its SBDMs back when KERA first took effect. The KEA, through its local officers made a power grab by writing the document and the district's superintendent was about to rubber stamp it when word leaked to a group of parents. Details of the policy leaked and parents were eventually allowed to help rewrite it. Unless things have changed, the amount of power SBDMs have varies greatly by school district, depending on district policy. If I recall correctly, our district settled on SBDMs having two parents, two school employees, and the principal. The principal had sole control of the meeting agendas, so having a good principal who was open to parental input determined how effective the councils were. I thought the SBDM's make-up was to be a 3-2-1 ratio, 3 teachers, 2 parents, 1 principal. This ratio held if they increased the size of the SBDM, such as 6 teachers, 4 parents and 2 principals.
June 29, 200818 yr Congrats! http://youtube.com/watch?v=jggm7VWqhLs "I'm your top prime cut of meat, I'm your choice, I wanna be elected, I'm your yankee doodle dandy in a gold Rolls Royce, I wanna be elected"
June 29, 200818 yr I thought the SBDM's make-up was to be a 3-2-1 ratio, 3 teachers, 2 parents, 1 principal. This ratio held if they increased the size of the SBDM, such as 6 teachers, 4 parents and 2 principals.My recollection was that the local district originally had more flexibility in determining the composition of the SBDMs but you are correct. It has been a long time. I wonder if any district has expanded to 12 members.
June 29, 200818 yr Congrats, Hearsay. As a teacher, I served on our SBDMC for several years. I don't claim to be an expert, but I do have experience, so if there is anything I might be able to answer for you, please let me know.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.