Derek Jeter: Is he baseball's most overrated player?

LRCW

This lost anything it had going for it when the article said A-Rod was the second most overrated player. Derek Jeter isn't exactly having his best season, but looking at his career numbers show he is far from overrated. He'll be in the HOF when it's all said and done.

Jeter is nearing the following:

2,500 - Hits

1,000 - RBI

.316 - Batting average

.975% - Fielding pct.

8 time All-Star

10 times in top ten, for most hits during a season

8 times in top ten, for best batting average

9 times in top ten, for most runs scored during a season

4 times in top ten, for most 3B's during a season

8 times in top ten, for most AB's during a season

Jeter is not overrated, in my book and one of the best.

Are these the same peers that voted Jeter a couple of Gold Glove awards, even though most baseball people don't think Jeter is one of the game's top defensive players?

If Alex Rodriguez is second in the voting, it's because of sheer jealousy ...

Overpaid is different from overrated.

I would take Jeter on my team, but I do feel he's a little overrated by the media. Some of the things he does (did) get so blown out of proportion.

The play where he catches the ball in foul territory and falls into the stands comes to mind. As well as the play where he flips the ball to the catcher and Jeremy Giambi didn't slide.

I just don't like the Yankees.

I am confused how Alex Rodriguez is #2, though. Overpaid? Sure. Overrated? Certainly not.

Fair Enough. I don't care for the Yankees enough to even pay attention to their games.

Yeah, it's his range. His range factor is below the league average both this season and for his career. His fielding percentage is only slightly higher than the league average for his career. That said I don't think he's overrated at all. He's the emotional and vocal leader of the Yankees, has always exhibited passion for the game and class on and off the field plus he always seems to come through in the big spots. I don't think his contributions can be measured purely through numbers, even though the numbers are HOF worthy on their own--and this is from a Red Sox fan. As for A-Rod, I have no problem with him being on the list. Every team that he has left has improved the season after he left it. Even the Yankees failed to improve upon their 2003 record by adding him, in fact they had the biggest postseason collapse of all-time.

Jeter's value to the Yankees extends beyond just his on-field talent, IMO. I suppose you could debate on whether he's "overrated" by definition, but no way is he THE most overrated player in the league.

But, this does naturally lead me to the question, who is the most the overrated player in baseball? What do you think?

Jeter is nearing the following:

2,500 - Hits

1,000 - RBI

.316 - Batting average

.975% - Fielding pct.

8 time All-Star

10 times in top ten, for most hits during a season

8 times in top ten, for best batting average

9 times in top ten, for most runs scored during a season

4 times in top ten, for most 3B's during a season

8 times in top ten, for most AB's during a season

Jeter is not overrated, in my book and one of the best.

You can quote any stat you want but there really are only two factors in my mind that even matter; 1) his performance in the clutch throughout his career, particularly but certainly not limited to '96-'01 post-season & 2) the class & grace in which he's handled himself in one of, if not the toughest media markets in all of professional sports.

I hate the spanks w/ every ounce of my soul but this kid could play on my team any day of the week. I don't think his stats alone warrant a first ballot election to the HOF but when you factor in the intangibles listed above he's a first ballot candidate in my book. Job well done, sir, now hurry up & retire for God's sake!!!:thumb:

You can quote any stat you want but there really are only two factors in my mind that even matter; 1) his performance in the clutch throughout his career, particularly but certainly not limited to '96-'01 post-season & 2) the class & grace in which he's handled himself in one of, if not the toughest media markets in all of professional sports.

I hate the spanks w/ every ounce of my soul but this kid could play on my team any day of the week. I don't think his stats alone warrant a first ballot election to the HOF but when you factor in the intangibles listed above he's a first ballot candidate in my book. Job well done, sir, now hurry up & retire for God's sake!!!:thumb:

:thumb:

Point #1 is of particular importance to me...