Ref Bashing

Royal Uncle

Discussion between and Coach and Ref, is usually about disagreements and not praise. Often comments are made, without thought and not a reflection of either.

I'm sure both moved on and none of us, are always proud of some things we say.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think some of you you are forgetting a very important thing: These refs are getting paid to enforce the rules. If it is a volunteer refereeing I think they should get some slack. If he or she is getting paid to referee it is a job. I get criticized, whether it be constructive or negative, at my job all the time, by bosses, coworkers, and colleagues I have to take that criticism because it falls in the line of my job description. Why should these paid refs not take criticism for their mistakes?[/quote

Some schools may pay a few bucks in the summer but not much, not enough to cover the refs gas money. Secondly some officials actually must pay to attend some of these camps in the summer. They do it to be evaluated and get experience.

Let me know the next time you boss, coworker or collegues scream an yell at you, blatantly insult you, call you names and swear at you. I think you may have grounds to file a grievance.

I have a problem with the coach making personal comments to the ref like that. However, if you are okay with that, then you should be okay with the ref if he made some negative personal comments back to the coach. I don't think it is appropriate for the coach to set that kind of example for the kids he/she coaches. Argue the call, and let it go.

I also think some of you you are forgetting a very important thing: These refs are getting paid to enforce the rules. If it is a volunteer refereeing I think they should get some slack. If he or she is getting paid to referee it is a job. I get criticized, whether it be constructive or negative, at my job all the time, by bosses, coworkers, and colleagues I have to take that criticism because it falls in the line of my job description. Why should these paid refs not take criticism for their mistakes?[/quote

Some schools may pay a few bucks in the summer but not much, not enough to cover the refs gas money. Secondly some officials actually must pay to attend some of these camps in the summer. They do it to be evaluated and get experience.

Let me know the next time you boss, coworker or colleagues scream an yell at you, blatantly insult you, call you names and swear at you. I think you may have grounds to file a grievance.

I know we generally pay the referee's we get twenty or so dollars,which I think puts us close to the low end of the paying spectrum. If they referee 5-7 games a day they are roughly making anywhere from $100 to $140 a day. Unless they drive a T-72S Main Battle Tank I, or are driving from Maine I think that would cover the gas. In all seriousness referee's have a tough job, they are never going to please everybody. When they are paid, however and make blatantly bad calls they should grow some thick skin and accept the criticism. If you want to give somebody a technical foul for complaining about your ineptness then do it and move on. :thumb:

I am sure quality refs are stretched very thin this time of year, seems like everyone is having these so called camps (scrimmages).

And a big percentage of the acceptable refs are also umpiring baseball. I understand what you are going to get in the summer, I'm just against some creative interpretations of the rulebook.

I also think some of you you are forgetting a very important thing: These refs are getting paid to enforce the rules. If it is a volunteer refereeing I think they should get some slack. If he or she is getting paid to referee it is a job. I get criticized, whether it be constructive or negative, at my job all the time, by bosses, coworkers, and colleagues I have to take that criticism because it falls in the line of my job description. Why should these paid refs not take criticism for their mistakes?

For most officials this is not a job. It is a vocation; see below definition.

A vocation is an occupation for which a person is suited, trained or qualified. It is also the inclination to undertake a certain kind of work, especially a religious career; often in response to a perceived summons; a calling. This type of vocation is either professional or voluntary, that is carried out more for its altruistic benefit than for income, which might be regarded as a secondary aspect of the vocation, however beneficial.

Most of these guys have regular 9-5's just like you and I, they just choose to officiate IN ADDITION to their "day jobs", primarily because they enjoy the game. What has happened more and more lately is that they aren't enjoying the game as much so they decide to go home and spend more time with their kids. Therefore there are less experienced officals to go around, resulting in misinterpretations of rules, etc. due to lack of experience. Not to mention the dramatic rise in the number of games played over the last 5-10 years.

Bottom line: Its summer ball. It shouldn't be about winning and losing, it should be about improvement (for everyone, officials included). If you can do better they are always looking for quality officials.

I was there. Not as big a deal as it's been made. Not to mention those 2 know each other from well before that incident. In my opinion I think that the ref let it go on by running his yap too. If you're gonna officiate, then you have to stick by whatever call you make and that's final. Don't stand and jaw. If the coach crosses the line, give him the T and move on. Too many officials with rabbit ears. I'll throw out a few in our region who do a good job of ignoring the jabs: Bobby Hall, Joe Billman and Greenhill all seem to be able to ignore the fluff. That's what it takes. So, I'll go one step farther to say we could just as easily retitle this thread "Why am I still a JV ref?"

For most officials this is not a job. It is a vocation; see below definition.

A vocation is an occupation for which a person is suited, trained or qualified. It is also the inclination to undertake a certain kind of work, especially a religious career; often in response to a perceived summons; a calling. This type of vocation is either professional or voluntary, that is carried out more for its altruistic benefit than for income, which might be regarded as a secondary aspect of the vocation, however beneficial.

Most of these guys have regular 9-5's just like you and I, they just choose to officiate IN ADDITION to their "day jobs", primarily because they enjoy the game. What has happened more and more lately is that they aren't enjoying the game as much so they decide to go home and spend more time with their kids. Therefore there are less experienced officials to go around, resulting in misinterpretations of rules, etc. due to lack of experience. Not to mention the dramatic rise in the number of games played over the last 5-10 years.

Bottom line: Its summer ball. It shouldn't be about winning and losing, it should be about improvement (for everyone, officials included). If you can do better they are always looking for quality officials.

If it is a vocation, I'm sure the schools will gladly accept a $75 donation to the betterment of the school district and the referee's reward can be the enjoyment of good classy basketball.

Maybe coaches should take a test before the season to determine if they are qualified to argue rules with the officials.

1. A1 picks the ball up in the backcourt at the center line.The ball still has backcourt status. A1 steps with his right foot into the front court. He then pulls it back and touches the backcourt. Anything?

2. A1 is out of bounds under his basket. A deflected ball comes his way. He steps in with one foot but the other foot has not touched inbounds - its still in the air. He touches the ball. Anything?

3. The ball has front court status for Team A. B1 deflects the pass from A1. The ball bounces off of the hand of A1 and goes to the backcourt where A1 is the first to touch it. Anything?

4. A1 is shooting a layup. B1 jumps up in an attempt to block the shot and slaps the backboard. The ball does not go in. Anything?

If a coach can answer all 4 correctly, he's given a green badge to wear which indicates he is smart enough to question some calls.

Anyone?

How many of these summer games take place during the normal 9-5 hours? How many officials take vacation to do these summer games?

How many are younger officials trying to get better?

How many coaches gave dumb looks when the officials lined the players up differently for free throws this summer? The officials knew the rule changes, did the coaches?

It has been said many times on this forum if you don't like the officiating then join an association and make a change.

Maybe coaches should take a test before the season to determine if they are qualified to argue rules with the officials.

1. A1 picks the ball up in the backcourt at the center line.The ball still has backcourt status. A1 steps with his right foot into the front court. He then pulls it back and touches the backcourt. Anything?

2. A1 is out of bounds under his basket. A deflected ball comes his way. He steps in with one foot but the other foot has not touched inbounds - its still in the air. He touches the ball. Anything?

3. The ball has front court status for Team A. B1 deflects the pass from A1. The ball bounces off of the hand of A1 and goes to the backcourt where A1 is the first to touch it. Anything?

4. A1 is shooting a layup. B1 jumps up in an attempt to block the shot and slaps the backboard. The ball does not go in. Anything?

If a coach can answer all 4 correctly, he's given a green badge to wear which indicates he is smart enough to question some calls.

Anyone?

I'm not a coach or ref but let's see how I do:

1. You have no violation unless his right foot was his pivot.

2. No violation. You only have to have one foot inbounds.

3. It is a violation (over and back).

4. You have nothing. Play on.

How many of these summer games take place during the normal 9-5 hours? How many officials take vacation to do these summer games?

How many are younger officials trying to get better?

How many coaches gave dumb looks when the officials lined the players up differently for free throws this summer? The officials knew the rule changes, did the coaches?

It has been said many times on this forum if you don't like the officiating then join an association and make a change.

Let me start this off by saying I don't want to be a referee, but that doesn't mean that they are above being criticized. There are alot of jobs that people choose to do, for whatever reason, that I would not wish on anyone....The fact still remains that they chose to become a referee. If they blow calls and make mistakes they should have to deal with criticism, if they can't handle that they chose the wrong secondary job or vocation. If a coach makes a mistake in a game often times the entire knowledgable general public of a town, or the entire BGP family, calls him or her out after games. What is the difference between that and criticizing a referee's call?

If it is a vocation, I'm sure the schools will gladly accept a $75 donation to the betterment of the school district and the referee's reward can be the enjoyment of good classy basketball.

Man! I know a bunch of guys that would LOVE to get $75/ game. That would almost make those hour and twenty minute, one way, trips worth it.

A coach questioning an official's knowledge of the rules is like an official questioning a coach going to zone. Neither should happen.

And I've got two words for the coach.....SUMMER BALL

So, would it be okay for the players to not play as hard as they could during summer ball? With your implication here that it is summer ball and the coach shouldn't be coaching as hard.

If he/she coaches one way in the winter and a different, easier way in the summer, the players are going to pick up on that and take the mindset that this is summer ball and they don't have to play as hard either.