Reds need more hitters like Dunn, not fewer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't watch closely enough to really defend this, but two thoughts:

1. It seems like Dunn is very streaky. You don't want a guy you are paying that much to go cold down the stretch. Any truth to that?

2. Another thing about Dunn is IMO a slugger like him is better fit on a team where he is surrounded by players that can consistently get on base. You won't find many teams where the guy who is a bigtime HR hitter but also strikes out is also the center of the offense (Ryan Howard has Utley and Rollins; Carlos Delgado has Beltran, Reyes, etc.) Of course, if we can develop someone (Bruce, Phillips, anyone) to become the pitcher's main concern, then the Dunn complaints will stop. But until we have a premier hitter for average in the lineup, I don't like having Dunn as our top hitter.

I am very undecided on what to do with Dunn, but I am leading towards keeping him (probably because he is on fire).

Most fans are this way. Right now, most are loving the big Texan. Wait til the next strike out spree and .180 average for three week stretch and most will be railing against him. Most fans are like this... love'em when they are going well; pan 'em when they struggle.

Then quit trying to get people to do all the work for you then. :lol::lol:

Kinda hard to do at work. Some people actually have to WORK while at work. Shocker huh. :D Not very easy to pull up stats like that and post them side by side on Ipod.

Most fans are this way. Right now, most are loving the big Texan. Wait til the next strike out spree and .180 average for three week stretch and most will be railing against him. Most fans are like this... love'em when they are going well; pan 'em when they struggle.

Your right for the most part except this people that are defending him are the same ones that have been doing it for the last 3 years.

Dunn's carrer at Bats by HC's stats:

At Bats-3513 Runs-650 RBI's-608

0.36 Runs scores per at bat...

Soriano....

At Bats-4640 Runs-746 RBI's-659

0.30 runs scored per at bat...

You tell me who is more valuable? I'll stick with the Donkey.

Dunn's carrer at Bats by HC's stats:

At Bats-3513 Runs-650 RBI's-608

0.36 Runs scores per at bat...

Soriano....

At Bats-4640 Runs-746 RBI's-659

0.30 runs scored per at bat...

You tell me who is more valuable? I'll stick with the Donkey.

HT isn't runs created the normal stat used here? If you go by that you have to add the Runs and RBIs and subtract the Homeruns. That would give you the raw number of runs created and divide that by plate appearances, not at bats because what counts. Here's how that would work out:

Dunn has 608 RBIs + 650 Runs Scored - 252 Homeruns = 1006 Runs Created

Dunn has a Total of 4302 Plate Appearances

1006/4302= 0.233 Runs Created Per Plate Appearance.

Soriano has 659 RBIs + 746 Runs Scored - 252 Homeruns = 1153 Runs Created

Soriano has a Total of 5008 Plate Appearances

1153/5008=0.230 Runs Created Per Plate Appearance

If you go by that the difference is almost nothing so it really depends on what type hitter you need in your lineup. The Reds already have Brandon Phillips who is a similar offensive player to Soriano so I'd rather have Dunn in the Reds lineup.

I'm fairly confident that he would sign that contract in a second.

Then lets git-r-dunn ! I admit that Dunn makes my head hurt some times. I also believe that he is a young man and will continue to improve. As the younger guys come in I think we'll see Dunn become more of a leader and also become more dedicated as far as conditioning. I think thats a good deal for both parties. I also believe that he can get more on the open market. :thumb:

Heard or read something last week that was interesting.

Over the past 3-5 years, Dunn has been taught/told to pull everything and use the natural benefits of GABP that LHers have.

He is not being told that anymore but rather to be a complete hitter.

And his strikeouts are noticeably down.