Reds need more hitters like Dunn, not fewer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't watch closely enough to really defend this, but two thoughts:

1. It seems like Dunn is very streaky. You don't want a guy you are paying that much to go cold down the stretch. Any truth to that?

2. Another thing about Dunn is IMO a slugger like him is better fit on a team where he is surrounded by players that can consistently get on base. You won't find many teams where the guy who is a bigtime HR hitter but also strikes out is also the center of the offense (Ryan Howard has Utley and Rollins; Carlos Delgado has Beltran, Reyes, etc.) Of course, if we can develop someone (Bruce, Phillips, anyone) to become the pitcher's main concern, then the Dunn complaints will stop. But until we have a premier hitter for average in the lineup, I don't like having Dunn as our top hitter.

I am very undecided on what to do with Dunn, but I am leading towards keeping him (probably because he is on fire).

The following disputes your belief:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dunnad01.shtml

The column marked "RFg" indicates how many assists and putouts he has per game. Its above the league average.

Again, above average. So, he's the best of the worst? I understand that you've got guys like Soriano and the like out there who are terrible defenders so let me restate my position, even if the numbers say he's above average, he still not what I would call a "good" outfielder. Again, just like George Foster, or Soriano as it were. Not out there for their defensive prowess.

I really don't see how anyone could say that Dunn is an above average outfielder, JMO. I agree with Doc in that he is not and for a lot of the same reasons so I won't list them. I now have changed my mind from earlier in the season (for other reasons than his current hot streak) and think that Dunn's contract should be extended to keep him with the Reds. Certainly not extended bc of his play in the outfield but bc of his bat and hr's/rbi's. Dunn is not and never will be a good outfielder.

Also as said before......."they pay him to hit hr's and drive in runs".

I really don't see how anyone could say that Dunn is an above average outfielder, JMO. I agree with Doc .

It's pretty easy really, and this will back it up, and agreeing with Doc isn't a good habit to get into. :D

Let me see if I can put it into a little better perspective for you. Let's say you, Ram, spindoc and myself are all placed into a group. Now most women are going to say I have above average looks based on the group I'm with. Now we all know that I'm pretty darn ugly, but when being compared to the group I'm with, I'm not that ugly. Does that help? :lol::lol:

It's pretty easy really, and this will back it up, and agreeing with Doc isn't a good habit to get into. :D

Let me see if I can put it into a little better perspective for you. Let's say you, Ram, spindoc and myself are all placed into a group. Now most women are going to say I have above average looks based on the group I'm with. Now we all know that I'm pretty darn ugly, but when being compared to the group I'm with, I'm not that ugly. Does that help? :lol::lol:

Sadly, there are rules against posting pictures as to avoiding Id'ing posters or I'd throw out the old Buffalo Wild Wings pic and refute that claim. Sheesh!:fight:

Sadly, there are rules against posting pictures as to avoiding Id'ing posters or I'd throw out the old Buffalo Wild Wings pic and refute that claim. Sheesh!:fight:

Not to mention, I'd easily be the best outfielder of that group.

Well thanks for nothing thinking I'm uglyl, but most people will disagree.

That's funny.

Are we really comparing Dunn to Soriano? Give me Soriano all day every day 7 days a week! Soriano can do it all. Dunn runs like the osteoporotic lady I saw at the Dr. today. Put a glove on him and you could compare him to the "where's the beef" lady in the outfield or on the base pathes! Did anybody see the Cubs win last night when Soriano blooped the ball down the line doing what he had to do? That is a major difference!

That's funny.

Are we really comparing Dunn to Soriano? Give me Soriano all day every day 7 days a week! Soriano can do it all. Dunn runs like the osteoporotic lady I saw at the Dr. today. Put a glove on him and you could compare him to the "where's the beef" lady in the outfield or on the base pathes! Did anybody see the Cubs win last night when Soriano blooped the ball down the line doing what he had to do? That is a major difference!

Did you even read the post?

That's funny.

I don't completely agree with everything either side is saying in this conversation, but I will say it is absurd to say you would take Soriano Everyday over Dunn. I mean Adam hits more homeruns, a way better OBP, and to say he runs that bad means you haven't watched the Reds games at all. For Adam's size he moves well. But I do think he could exert a little more effort. But osteoporotic, no, not at all.