Back to the '70's: Favorite One-Hit Wonders?

As many of you know, I love '70's music, as it was the music of my youth. There were a lot of great songs from the '70's that were either one-hit wonders or pretty close to it. What are some of your favorite songs from that era that mean a lot to you and take you back to a very special place in time?

I'll start with one. Does anyone remember the Sanford Townsend Band?

Here they are doing their classic hit on the Midnight Special(ayyyyyoooohhh!)

I'm an 80's baby but here are some of my favorite one hit wonders from the 70's...

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky

Brownsville Station - Smoking In The Boys Room

Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town

Ram Jam - Black Betty

The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

As many of you know, I love '70's music, as it was the music of my youth. There were a lot of great songs from the '70's that were either one-hit wonders or pretty close to it. What are some of your favorite songs from that era that mean a lot to you and take you back to a very special place in time?

I'll start with one. Does anyone remember the Sanford Townsend Band?

Here they are doing their classic hit on the Midnight Special(ayyyyyoooohhh!)

I have both of their albums,Smoke From a Distant Fire and Dual Glide. 'Oriental Gate' from the first and 'Love like the Wind' from the second are my favorites (though I love pretty much everything on both of them). Weren't these guys backup musicians for Kenny Loggins?

"Fooled Around and Fell In Love" Elvin Bishop

"Heaven On the Seventh Floor" Paul Nicholas

"I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round)" Alicia Bridges

"Morning Dance" Spyro Gyra

"Hot Child in the City" Nick Gilder

I'm an 80's baby but here are some of my favorite one hit wonders from the 70's...

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky

Brownsville Station - Smoking In The Boys Room

Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town

Ram Jam - Black Betty

The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

Thin Lizzy doesn't really fit the moniker of one-hit wonder. They were a popular band on AOR stations for many, many years, and still are to this day with several other tunes. Many of their singles charted strong in the UK, and while "Boys ..." was their only major hit in the US, tunes such as "Jailbreak" and "Dancin' In The Moonlight" and others still get regular airplay on classic rock stations.

Thin Lizzy doesn't really fit the moniker of one-hit wonder. They were a popular band on AOR stations for many, many years, and still are to this day with several other tunes. Many of their singles charted strong in the UK, and while "Boys ..." was their only major hit in the US, tunes such as "Jailbreak" and "Dancin' In The Moonlight" and others still get regular airplay on classic rock stations.

Good point..that and the fact that one of the best guitarists around (Gary Moore) played with them for awhile.

"Fooled Around and Fell In Love" Elvin Bishop

"Heaven On the Seventh Floor" Paul Nicholas

"I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round)" Alicia Bridges

"Morning Dance" Spyro Gyra

"Hot Child in the City" Nick Gilder

Elvin Bishop doesn't really fit the "one hit wonder" mantra either. He has had many hits. Here is one for you .. a lot of people don't even realize that Elvin Bishop didn't sing "Fooled Around and Fell In Love".

Another Good One Hit Wonder: Looking Glass: "Brandy"

What about the songs "Signs" and "Ride Captain Ride"? I can't remember the artist of each.

Those were two good ones that still get some air play. I think "Signs" has been re-done a few times by other groups. A good protest song against 'the man'. :D

Guest Bluto
What about the songs "Signs" and "Ride Captain Ride"? I can't remember the artist of each.

Ride, Captain, Ride, by Blues Image

Signs - Five Man Electrical Band

Those were two good ones that still get some air play. I think "Signs" has been re-done a few times by other groups. A good protest song against 'the man'. :D

The Blues Image