McCain has Obama's back

McCain asks NC GOP not to run ad

INEZ, Ky. (AP) -- Republican John McCain on Wednesday asked the North Carolina GOP not to run a television ad that brings up the controversial former pastor of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

North Carolina Republican party officials insisted the ad will run as planned despite McCain's request.

The ad opens with a photo of Obama and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright together and a clip of Wright, whose incendiary comments about race have bedeviled Obama.

"He's just too extreme for North Carolina," the narrator says in the 30-second spot.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MCCAIN_OBAMA_AD?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-04-23-19-17-49

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that yesterday and it is admirable. I hope he continues that throughout the campaign. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how you view it) he won't have that sort of pull over 527s. And, again, he may not want to.

McCain's comments:

From the beginning of this election, I have been committed to running a respectful campaign based upon an honest debate about the great issues confronting America today I expect all state parties to do so as well. The television advertisement you are planning to air degrades our civics and distracts us from the very real differences we have with the Democrats. In the strongest terms, I implore you to not run this advertisement.

I agree, attack them on the issues and policy differences.

I haven't seen all of McCain's ads, but I haven't seen any similar to the ad in question.

http://www.johnmccain.com/tvads/

McCain's comments:

I agree, attack them on the issues and policy differences.

I haven't seen all of McCain's ads, but I haven't seen any similar to the ad in question.

http://www.johnmccain.com/tvads/

And I agree with you. Politics shouldn't be a scorched earth activity. Now before someone drudges up that some politician did it eons ago, I know that. I tell my kids that just because some other kid did it, doesn't make it right for my kids to do it. Same applies here.

HHSDad, I must have missed it, but I can only recall McCain treating his Republican opponents with great respect. He may have disagreed with them on policy, but I don't recall him attacking them. I'm sure I appear to some as being politically naive; I'm not. I just don't believe that running to become our next President is a bare knuckle "sporting event". If we want each of us to treat one another decently; if we want to teach our children to treat each other with respect and dignity, shouldn't we demand the adults running to be our next President to do the same? I want McCain to win (and I want it badly as I am truly concerned about where this country will go if either Obama or Clinton win), but I'd rather see McCain lose than win using a smear campaign.

Good job Sen. McCain. I applaud you again for taking the high ground.

I think that Obama-McCain would be the type of presidential election that people always say they want.

I don't especially want Mr. Nice Guy to be leader of the Free World. I'd rather have Mr. Take No Crap as President.

I don't especially want Mr. Nice Guy to be leader of the Free World. I'd rather have Mr. Take No Crap as President.

We already have the exalted version, Mr.-Take-No-Crap,-But-We'll-Ram-Our-Crap-Down-Your-Throat-Guy. I'm ready for Mr.-Nice-Diplomatic-Guy.

And I agree with you. Politics shouldn't be a scorched earth activity. Now before someone drudges up that some politician did it eons ago, I know that. I tell my kids that just because some other kid did it, doesn't make it right for my kids to do it. Same applies here.

HHSDad, I must have missed it, but I can only recall McCain treating his Republican opponents with great respect. He may have disagreed with them on policy, but I don't recall him attacking them. I'm sure I appear to some as being politically naive; I'm not. I just don't believe that running to become our next President is a bare knuckle "sporting event". If we want each of us to treat one another decently; if we want to teach our children to treat each other with respect and dignity, shouldn't we demand the adults running to be our next President to do the same? I want McCain to win (and I want it badly as I am truly concerned about where this country will go if either Obama or Clinton win), but I'd rather see McCain lose than win using a smear campaign.

Good job Sen. McCain. I applaud you again for taking the high ground.

Great post leatherneck, I agree with all that you have said.

I can honestly say that I don't know who that I am voting for as of now but I respect McCain for his service to our country and the fact that he is an American War Hero. I disagree with some of his statements/policies on what needs to be done on certain issues as I do all of the cantidates.

After I saw this on the news the other day I have even more respect for J. McCain. That move was all class, he definately outshines both of the others in that department. I can't see how anyone could argue that.

Win or Lose this election........John McCain is a TRUE American and represents himself with class and dignity.

If he would just repudiate most of Bush's abominations(which I understand he can't do and expect to have any chance of winning), even the math man would give some consideration in McCain's direction in Nov. Ever who wins in Nov., conservatives are gonna get someone that is gonna spend considerable time in bed with Democrats and that makes me happy.