Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bruce Pearl: Rondo, Crawford and Bradley were all better than Lofton out of HS

Featured Replies

So I was talking to Dustin Grutza about Lofton at length the other day, and UC should have landed him as well. Huggs offered early, but Lofton was waiting for UK. By the time that ship had sailed, C Lo was ready to join his close friend in Clifton. Problem was Huggs already got a commit from a G (who never made it to the court at UC) so he turned him down...

  • Replies 62
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with Pearl's assesment, Tubby and Rick got better players out of HS, think they still may've gotten players for what they needed to.

 

Not sure how much more Lofton would've helped UK this year than Bradley of Crawford.

 

Rick didn't always get gems. Timberlake, Chris Harrison, Ryan Hogan, Myron Anthony, Oliver Simmons, Henry. Every coach makes mistakes and finds gems in recruiting. Your hope is that it balances out over the years to the plus side.

So I was talking to Dustin Grutza about Lofton at length the other day, and UC should have landed him as well. Huggs offered early, but Lofton was waiting for UK. By the time that ship had sailed, C Lo was ready to join his close friend in Clifton. Problem was Huggs already got a commit from a G (who never made it to the court at UC) so he turned him down...

 

Very much true.

Very much true.

Dustin's a good kid. I doubt he'd lie to me... :D

As I recall, many people thought that Chris did not have the necessary quickness. Whether he does I not, I don't know. One thing has been able to do, though, is shoot, and make, 3's under extreme duress.

Rick didn't always get gems. Timberlake, Chris Harrison, Ryan Hogan, Myron Anthony, Oliver Simmons, Henry. Every coach makes mistakes and finds gems in recruiting. Your hope is that it balances out over the years to the plus side.

 

It's funny How some people still believe He was Mr. Perfect Pitino...;)

Dustin's a good kid. I doubt he'd lie to me... :D

 

Oh, I'm not saying that. I have known Dustin for a long time and grew up a few houses over. I was had just forgot about that situation regarding UC.

Seems a bit poor to take a shot at Perl on this one (I'm not a fan of his), as what he said is the truth. It's how the recruiting game works and UK was under pressure to sign some "five star" type players. They did.

 

I think all he did was give the opinion most D-I coaches would have had as the kids graduated high school.

I think Bruce may be felling a little bit more comfortable in his skin these days at UT because of his success and can now actually give a rival a compliment. That's something he could no do until now.

  • Author
So I was talking to Dustin Grutza about Lofton at length the other day, and UC should have landed him as well. Huggs offered early, but Lofton was waiting for UK. By the time that ship had sailed, C Lo was ready to join his close friend in Clifton. Problem was Huggs already got a commit from a G (who never made it to the court at UC) so he turned him down...

 

A member of the Mason County coaching staff at the time had passed onto us that mom was not a fan of Lofton going to UC because of what ended up happening to Shawn Myrick. She equated that with being in the environment of UC.

 

Fair or not is not the point but what mom was thinking about Lofton going to UC.

I do not see any way one can misconstrue that article as a knock on Lofton. If anything, Pearl is getting in a little jab at the others because Chris has done more with less "natural" talent. I think he's saying Lofton has developed more in college than the others. It seems completely complimentary to me.

Rick didn't always get gems. Timberlake, Chris Harrison, Ryan Hogan, Myron Anthony, Oliver Simmons, Henry. Every coach makes mistakes and finds gems in recruiting. Your hope is that it balances out over the years to the plus side.

 

Oliver Simmons turned into a fine ballplayer at FSU.

It's funny How some people still believe He was Mr. Perfect Pitino...;)

 

All one has to do is watch the '95 Regional Final vs. UNC to know that he had his flaws.

I do not see any way one can misconstrue that article as a knock on Lofton. If anything, Pearl is getting in a little jab at the others because Chris has done more with less "natural" talent. I think he's saying Lofton has developed more in college than the others. It seems completely complimentary to me.

 

I don't think that this is a jab at anyone. I think that this is Bruce Pearl praising his All-American for the work he put in at UT to become a better ball player, and how lucky Pearl feels to be his coach. I believe that Tubby made the right decision at the time, and I would have done the same exact thing. I am glad to see Lofton do so well, but...for God's Sakes, Man...let this die.

That is why I said "if anything..." I think it's total praise for Chris and his hard work.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.