• Christian Protestant
    • Christian Catholic
    • Other
    • Scientologist

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please cite or link to your source when using another's material. This is not the first time.

Absolutely this was all my information. My father-in-law was a professor at Southern Baptist Seminary and my church has recently unaffiliated with the SBC. I talk a lot of religion with him and my mother-in-law who was also a teacher at the social work school at Southern. I don't know where you think I got this information, but had I been using someone else's I would surely have known which other group the SBC split from - and honestly I don't remember.

I will take it as a complement that it was so well written that you think I lifted it.

Absolutely this was all my information. My father-in-law was a professor at Southern Baptist Seminary and my church has recently unaffiliated with the SBC. I talk a lot of religion with him and my mother-in-law who was also a teacher at the social work school at Southern. I don't know where you think I got this information, but had I been using someone else's I would surely have known which other group the SBC split from - and honestly I don't remember.

I will take it as a complement that it was so well written that you think I lifted it.

OK, I stand corrected.

I tend to agree.

Some members of the Church of Christ, if not all, see themselves not as protestants but as directly linked to Peter's first church and to Paul's churches. They believed the church continued through the ages and never had to break free from the Church.

Some members of the Church of Christ, if not all, see themselves not as protestants but as directly linked to Peter's first church and to Paul's churches. They believed the church continued through the ages and never had to break free from the Church.

Just FYI The Sovereign Grace Independent Missionary Baptists do not consider themselves to be protestant either----since they never protested against the Catholic Church. The Baptists went by many names through the ages mostly given to them by their enemies. We believe our types of churches can be traced throughout history back to the time of Christ's personal ministry--albeit under names such as Waldenses, Ana-Baptists, Donovans, Pauliticians, etc.

Just FYI The Sovereign Grace Independent Missionary Baptists do not consider themselves to be protestant either----since they never protested against the Catholic Church. The Baptists went by many names through the ages mostly given to them by their enemies. We believe our types of churches can be traced throughout history back to the time of Christ's personal ministry--albeit under names such as Waldenses, Ana-Baptists, Donovans, Pauliticians, etc.

My point is that all Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists and company are all Christians to begin with. The blanket designation as "Christian" as such applied to all denominations. I personally feel that the "Christian" option above should be Non-denominational Christian so as to avoid any implications to other denominations of Christianity.

Southern Baptist was at one time the largest protestant denomination in the US. It formed when it broke from __________ Baptist (maybe American) around the time of the Civil War because of its stance on slavery. SB felt that it was biblical and could be defended as such.

Of course it moved away from those positions but continued in a very racially strident way for a while - no interracial marriage, etc.

Finally, beginning around the 60s it took on a much more moderated, some might even say progressive tone especially in its seminaries where they began teaching and preaching the social gospel. In the late 70s and early

80s a conservative movement re-emerged (aligned with political right and Ronald Reagan) and began placing people in prominent positions on boards, etc. Eventually by the mid 90s the conservatives were in complete control running those who were not "doctrinally" pure out of the seminaries and placing those who were doctrinally pure in their steads. The movement secured its full power in 2000 and 2004 with the adoption of the New Baptist Faith and Message and it has been losing members ever since. Of course those who left were mostly heretics;)

The Southern Baptist Convention was founded in 1845 as a splinter from the Triennial Convention (met every 3 years) of Baptists. The Northern Baptist (American Baptists) movements came out of the schism as well. The controversy was that the convention voted that no one could be commissioned to be a missionary and hold slaves. The South strongly disagreed and formed their own Convention. It truly was geographic until the mid 20th century and became more national in scope.

After the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC (see Al Mohler, et al) many disenfranchised Baptists formed a partnership entitled "The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship." They have worked together for missions and ministries local and abroad since 1991.

FWIW, these statements are from my knowledge and not a "source.":D

Southern Baptist

Also for the record, in undergraduate studies I did a Baptist History class and wrote a paper on the split. The split was about missionaries in general. In order to send missionaries the Baptist would have to take money from local churches and have an organizational model with a centralized church, think Catholic Vatican model here. Northern Baptist were strictly in favor of the autonomy of the local church and did not want to send dues to a higher organization. The Southern Baptist split in order to be able to collect money and send missionaries out in to the world.

While Slavery did not help the issue, it was not a primary issue in this. If anyone is interested I believe I still have the paper somewhere and I would be more than glad to send you the some 30 or so sources I used.