• Atheist
    • Buddhist
    • Pagan
    • Christian Protestant
    • Christian Catholic
    • Other
    • Scientologist

Southern Baptist

Also for the record, in undergraduate studies I did a Baptist History class and wrote a paper on the split. The split was about missionaries in general. In order to send missionaries the Baptist would have to take money from local churches and have an organizational model with a centralized church, think Catholic Vatican model here. Northern Baptist were strictly in favor of the autonomy of the local church and did not want to send dues to a higher organization. The Southern Baptist split in order to be able to collect money and send missionaries out in to the world.

While Slavery did not help the issue, it was not a primary issue in this. If anyone is interested I believe I still have the paper somewhere and I would be more than glad to send you the some 30 or so sources I used.

I beg to difer on this but slavery was a major problem. Check out Leon McBeth's Four centuries of Baptist Witness. One of the great histories of Baptists and their origins. Also check out Bill Leonard's God's Last and Only Hope for a brief beginnings sketch of the SBC.

The concept of Centralization did not occur among Southern Baptists until 1925 with the invention of the Cooperative Program. The missionary system still looked like the old mission society model.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to difer on this but slavery was a major problem. Check out Leon McBeth's Four centuries of Baptist Witness. One of the great histories of Baptists and their origins. Also check out Bill Leonard's God's Last and Only Hope for a brief beginnings sketch of the SBC.

The concept of Centralization did not occur among Southern Baptists until 1925 with the invention of the Cooperative Program. The missionary system still looked like the old mission society model.

I've got McBeth's book it's a monster of a book too. A lot of the sources I had I'm sure were propaganda pieces I had to go to Nashville to some Baptist Archives for many of my sources that were published in the 1800's. Adoniram Judson and Luther Rice were trying to rally the Baptist cause for missions in India. Most of the only reception they found for this was in the South from people like Richard Furman. Jesse C. Fletcher, The Southern Baptist Convention: A Sequicentennial History (Nashville: Broadman and Holman Press).

Also in McBeth's book look around page 349 and the idea of the compromise of a society and convention plan.

Also on page 347 McBeth states “Northerners preferred to work through an independent society unconnected to the churches, while the Southerners unanimously favored an association or convention plan”.

Slavery was definitely involved but it was not the only factor going on.

Also a lot of upheaval about Columbian College and the mismanagement of Triennial funds.

I've got McBeth's book it's a monster of a book too. A lot of the sources I had I'm sure were propaganda pieces I had to go to Nashville to some Baptist Archives for many of my sources that were published in the 1800's. Adoniram Judson and Luther Rice were trying to rally the Baptist cause for missions in India. Most of the only reception they found for this was in the South from people like Richard Furman. Jesse C. Fletcher, The Southern Baptist Convention: A Sequicentennial History (Nashville: Broadman and Holman Press).

Also in McBeth's book look around page 349 and the idea of the compromise of a society and convention plan.

Also on page 347 McBeth states “Northerners preferred to work through an independent society unconnected to the churches, while the Southerners unanimously favored an association or convention plan”.

Slavery was definitely involved but it was not the only factor going on.

Also a lot of upheaval about Columbian College and the mismanagement of Triennial funds.

I think that much of the other issues were more window dressing. One of the real culprits was the "ruling" by the body that one could not own slaves and still be supported by the Baptist body as a missionary. The triennial convention was more of a confederation. (ironic, huh?)

Good to hear you've got McBeth's book. It's like a Baptist Bible of history because it is so well footnoted and indepth. I found Leonard to be the most entertaining historian I've ever set under.

The Southern Baptist Convention was founded in 1845 as a splinter from the Triennial Convention (met every 3 years) of Baptists. The Northern Baptist (American Baptists) movements came out of the schism as well. The controversy was that the convention voted that no one could be commissioned to be a missionary and hold slaves. The South strongly disagreed and formed their own Convention. It truly was geographic until the mid 20th century and became more national in scope.

After the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC (see Al Mohler, et al) many disenfranchised Baptists formed a partnership entitled "The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship." They have worked together for missions and ministries local and abroad since 1991.

FWIW, these statements are from my knowledge and not a "source.":D

I am willing to bet that some of our knowledge comes from VERY similar sources.:thumb:

My view I guess is simple. I try not to get caught up in all the manmade denomination arguments of Protestant and Catholics, Baptists and Methodists and all of that other stuff that does not mean diddly to whether I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

There are IMHO members of Jesus' church in every denomination and maybe even not in a denomination today.

That is why I chose simply Christian.

I don't think any denomination has a stranglehold on sitting in the pews of Jesus' church.

We could spend a lot more valuable time helping our communities than debating whose doctrine is correct.

My view I guess is simple. I try not to get caught up in all the manmade denomination arguments of Protestant and Catholics, Baptists and Methodists and all of that other stuff that does not mean diddly to whether I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

There are IMHO members of Jesus' church in every denomination and maybe even not in a denomination today.

I don't think any denomination has a stranglehold on sitting in the pews of Jesus' church.

We could spend a lot more valuable time helping our communities than debating whose doctrine is correct.

Amen-:thumb:

Even though everyone should convert to be Baptist, cause you know we are the only ones going up there!!!:ylsuper:

J/K;)

We are all part of the body of Christ! Let us allows celabrate what unites us, and not forget the ultimate Sacrifice. Besides, I look forward to seeing each of you in the next life:dancingpa:jump::dancingpa:banana::dancingpa

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is late, but I wanted to be apart. I belong to Southern Baptist church which is a Christian membership. I like the way the Baptists feed the children both with the word of christ and other "feeds" to. This includes food too. Vacation bible schools, Upwards, choirs, bible studies, programs for all ages. Its not a perfect church, but there is not one anywhere anyhow.

ditto :thumb:

Paul said "a good debate is OK, but don't let it lead to arguments". I'm at fault. Its my worst feature. This past saturday the Jehovah folks stopped by and I wasn't home. I called their hall on Tuesday and told someone I missed them. They came by on Wednesday and we had a hour chat. I was real nice and just asked the man some questions.

Momma told me later "I was setting them up". "I know you". I don't think I am, but they were coming back this week, but I'll have to cancel due to our accident.

I have to agree with LBBC on this, I selected Christian for the same reason. I was raised a catholic, saved in a baptist church and attend DOC church for the past 5 or so years.

Along with AL, I like to talk with the Jehovah's and other faiths when time permits, I like to hear others points of view on the Lord, think it helps to continue to learn "the way of the Lord". Can't say that I agree on their thinkings, but does make me take a good long look at my beliefs.