Top 5 Coaches in the 16th Region (part 2)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, there are some who would contend that the real season is just getting started, so it's too early to evaluate any coach's performance on the whole season just yet. There are teams with high win to loss ratios who played soft schedules. There are others with low win to loss records who played brutal schedules just to get ready for the run to Rupp. March is the payoff. Even so, I'm gonna wade in on all 16 coaches, in no particular order:

• We've known Fraley has been patient and maybe even a bit masochistic at the Hill. He's now showing some signs of ability with a very young squad.
  • Hicks has breathed new life into what has been a second tier program at Bath. They've gone from underrated to overachievers.
  • Perry at Morgan may have the best 10 year record of any coach in the Region.
  • Zornes' lifetime achievements cannot be overlooked.
  • Cooksey is part workhorse, part sly fox, 100% competitor... (...and sometimes 6th man on the floor... :lol: )
  • Floyd has had a very good first year at Raceland.
  • Baker has the horsepower to show what he can do.
  • Mr. March, Joe Hampton is an overachiever at Lewis.
  • Dodd has an impressive background at the college level, and proved that he can get to Rupp with high school kids.
  • Mays clearly still has some tricks up his sleeve, and has a very competitive bunch at Elliott to show what he can do.
  • Jeremy Webb is doing a fine job at West.
  • Frazier is still trying to make a statement at Fleming in year two.
  • Moore has youth and enthusiasm, but is too new to know if he’s what the doctor ordered for the carousel at Menifee.
  • Biggs seems to be a great guy, but has yet to prove himself in this region.
  • I have no idea what's going on with Daniel at Rowan, other than to say he’s been a competitor over the years and I personally wish him well.
  • Leach is out, and Greenup is adrift once again. Smith and Sutton have some skills, but may not get a genuine opportunity.

1. Zornes

2. Baker

3. Hampton

4. Cooksey

5. Floyd

My original thought was these five but if we were going on this particular season I think we have to mention Hicks and Fraley. Hicks has Bath in the top 3 or 4 in the region and how long has it been since they have been this good. I absolutely hate Fraley's style of ball everytime I see them play I think of Randy Ward, but I think he should be in the top five based on Rose Hills success for this season. Zornes is the best active coach in the 16th region IMO but I don't think he has done that great of a job this year. They have a lot of good players on that team and should have won a lot of games that they lost. I love Rex Cooksey he is a great coach and a great person but come on they have a heck of a team in westwood and should be dominating most teams in the region. JMO.

Floyd, is a fine coach, but what has he done to be the #1 coach in the region??? Wait a few years and then add him to the list.

The best coaches in the region are.......

1. Roger Zornes- Resume speaks for itself....

2. Brandon Baker- year in, year out East puts out a pretty good team. Great game planner, always has disciplined teams.

3. Joe Hampton- consistently does more with less than any other coach in the region.

4A. Rex Cooksey- I don't know why, he just seems like a great coach to me.

4B. Jim Hicks- has done wonders at Bath, had Greenup looking good for a few years. His players play very hard for him.

4.B Mathew Perry- talent well has run dry of late, but his teams are still hardnosed and are always a tough out.

On a side note, I do believe Floyd is on his way to being a top notch coach in the area. I just have to see atleast a few years worth of work to put him that high on this list. We do have some excellent coaches in eastern kentucky.

Floyd, is a fine coach, but what has he done to be the #1 coach in the region??? Wait a few years and then add him to the list.

The best coaches in the region are.......

1. Roger Zornes- Resume speaks for itself....

2. Brandon Baker- year in, year out East puts out a pretty good team. Great game planner, always has disciplined teams.

3. Joe Hampton- consistently does more with less than any other coach in the region.

4A. Rex Cooksey- I don't know why, he just seems like a great coach to me.

4B. Jim Hicks- has done wonders at Bath, had Greenup looking good for a few years. His players play very hard for him.

4.B Mathew Perry- talent well has run dry of late, but his teams are still hardnosed and are always a tough out.

On a side note, I do believe Floyd is on his way to being a top notch coach in the area. I just have to see atleast a few years worth of work to put him that high on this list. We do have some excellent coaches in eastern kentucky.

Coach Floyd had only 2 starters returning from about a .500 team,and this yrs team is considered by most to be in the top 5 in the region, to me thats impressive. The point of this thread was to look back, remember how many of you picked Coach Dodd then people finally realized if you don't give your young players time they can't improve, and for the Russell fans I'm sure you are seeing the same thing this yr. 3-25 and still starting 4 Srs. who will not be able to help one bit next year, while a good bunch of Sophs. sit on the bench. Buddy was also considered a great coach with a bunch of talent returning and his team sets the record for most losses in a row by any Ashland team.:sssh:

I'll choose Hampton as coach of the year. Not only has he done a fine job at Lewis, first and foremost IMO is the fact that he was smart enough to stay there!!!:thumb:

and for my choice for 2nd place for COY honors is Ethan Faulkner.

I'll choose Hampton as coach of the year. Not only has he done a fine job at Lewis, first and foremost IMO is the fact that he was smart enough to stay there!!!:thumb:

Another good post...You are on a roll today.

Got a good laugh out of both of those...very true on both of them.:thumb:

C'mon Doc Lewis is 12-17 thats not COY numbers.