J. Shockey

What kind of Shockey will we get?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Shockey will we get?

• New, improved, and less whiny.
    • Same old, same old.
    • They'll trade him before they ever find out.

... because Shockey was clamorning for the ball, and Eli hasn't got the personality to tell him to shut the hell up and stop acting like TO or Ocho Cinco. Maybe this year busts Eli out of his shell, but I'm thinking Shockey's personality will go right back to its earlier overbearing levels once he's back on the field.

How do you know he was "clamoring for the ball"? Because ESPN said it?

Shockey's personality is GOOD for the Giants. He's much different than TO and Ocho, he doesn't want all of the attention on him. He should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as those two.

Shockey has said numerous times that he doesn't care about his stats, he just wants to win.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never once thought of Shockey as a "me me me" player. I think JS is a tad offbase in comparing him to TO. He sometimes gets too amped but I can live with that.

Maybe this was the ideal situation. If Eli was intimidated by Shockey and then gained confidence to deal with a strong personality , the Giants now have a confident qb with a top-notch TE with a young strong backup TE. I think that would be a "win win," right?

Both Torbor and Mitchell are Free Agents. Wilkenson is not an upgrade, in my opinion. I would also say that Kiwanuka needs to go back to the line instead of playing OLB. I would rather draft a LB and let him learn our system from day 1 then try to find a good fit in free agency (unless we could get Lance Briggs, he would fit nicely!).

The offense performed too well without Shockey to say that his presence is significant on the field. The locker room presence may be worth keeping him around, however the reports for years were that Jeremy was as much of a distraction as he was a leader.

Again, Reese will do the right thing; in Jerry I trust.

Torbor could be re-signed for cheap IMO.

Mitchell might want a big raise, if so then it's goodbye to him.

How do you know if Wilkinson is an upgrade or not? I think he deserves a shot to win the job, as he looked great in his time vs. New England in game 1. He's got a lot of speed and 3 years with the Giants.

What reports were you reading about him being a distraction? I know at least one beat writer who said that he doesn't buy the "giants are better without Shockey" crap.

Also, Eli himself said that the "Giants offense is better without Shockey theory" is a "stupid theory".

Strahan said he'd take 52 Shockey's on his team.

Antonio Pierce said that he loves Shockey and that the reason Boss and Matthews play so well is because Shockey has coached them up. He called and text messaged them the entire time he was injured and couldn't make it to the games.

Shockey originally wasn't going to be at the Super bowl for two reasons. One, the doctor recommended he not stand on his leg that long. Two, he did not want to be a distraction to the team. In the end, he decided to go because he really wanted to be there.

Shockey isn't making a ton of money, the Giants are WAY under the cap, and everyone on the team loves him. There is NO reason to cut him. Cut him or trade him, and what happens if Boss gets hurt? The G-Men are screwed at TE. Depth is a great thing to have in the NFL, and Boss can't get too greedy based on his performances in 5 or 6 games.

I've never once thought of Shockey as a "me me me" player. I think JS is a tad offbase in comparing him to TO. He sometimes gets too amped but I can live with that.

Maybe this was the ideal situation. If Eli was intimidated by Shockey and then gained confidence to deal with a strong personality , the Giants now have a confident qb with a top-notch TE with a young strong backup TE. I think that would be a "win win," right?

:thumb: Shockey is a team first kind of guy based on what I've read.

Way to miss the point of the post. I'll give you a pass this time, since your mind may still be scrambled with glee. (I know; I've experienced the same behavior in the last few years :D )

But still, the point is Coughlin can bargain in a position of power (as can Eli) when they tell him to SHUT UP NOW AND FOREVER when Shockey does get back on the field. My use of Heap was strictly hypothetical; leak trade rumours with Heap's name attached not because the Giants intend to actually pull the trigger on the trade, but because they can express to Shockey they don't care what he does, the Giants can win without him.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about when you dropped the "emotional leader" phrase. The only emotional leading Shockey seems to do results in losses. That kind of leadership my team doesn't need.

So you want to take a guy and just embarrass him by saying he's not even needed?

Shockey fires everyone up on the field. Those words were not mine, I believe it was Antonio Pierce or Michael Strahan who said Shockey was one of the emotional leaders of the team, because of his energy. He does not know how to go half speed, he's always working his butt off.

Shockey is still an elite TE, and it would be STUPID to trade him. End of story.

Tough crowd perhaps, but you can't deny the fact that Eli blossomed when Shockey was not in the huddle. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Eli's played good games with Shockey in the line up too.

The fact that Kevin Gilbride admitted to changing some of the play calling during the playoffs makes me believe this whole theory about the Giants being better without Shockey is a load of you know what.

Sounds like people have the wrong impression of Shockey. He didn't want to be on the sidelines because he didn't want to jinx his boys. He wanted them to win but was obviously upset that he couldn't contribute.

He's worked his tail off for 6 years and gets hurt in week 14... Tough crowd...

He's worked so hard and he HATES to miss games. That's why he has played through some of the injuries I mentioned earlier.

Torbor could be re-signed for cheap IMO.

Mitchell might want a big raise, if so then it's goodbye to him.

How do you know if Wilkinson is an upgrade or not? I think he deserves a shot to win the job, as he looked great in his time vs. New England in game 1. He's got a lot of speed and 3 years with the Giants.

What reports were you reading about him being a distraction? I know at least one beat writer who said that he doesn't buy the "giants are better without Shockey" crap.

Also, Eli himself said that the "Giants offense is better without Shockey theory" is a "stupid theory".

Strahan said he'd take 52 Shockey's on his team.

Antonio Pierce said that he loves Shockey and that the reason Boss and Matthews play so well is because Shockey has coached them up. He called and text messaged them the entire time he was injured and couldn't make it to the games.

Shockey originally wasn't going to be at the Super bowl for two reasons. One, the doctor recommended he not stand on his leg that long. Two, he did not want to be a distraction to the team. In the end, he decided to go because he really wanted to be there.

Shockey isn't making a ton of money, the Giants are WAY under the cap, and everyone on the team loves him. There is NO reason to cut him. Cut him or trade him, and what happens if Boss gets hurt? The G-Men are screwed at TE. Depth is a great thing to have in the NFL, and Boss can't get too greedy based on his performances in 5 or 6 games.

We can obviously agree to disagree, but let's not pretend that Shockey has been a poster boy. The reports I have read have had him using homophobic language in SI, not participating in voluntary mini camps EVER in a Giant uniform, questioning decisions made by his teammates and coaches and this is the stuff that got reported.

His teammates should say good things about him; that is what a teammate does. That does not mean that they agree with all of the decisions he has made. The fact is without Shockey playing, the Giants won the Superbowl. That means that the offense can exist without him and he has more trade value than Kevin Boss does, so why not explore trade options. I do not advocate cutting him, let me make that clear. They can, however, use the threat of release as leverage in renegotiating his contract to make his base salary lower (this is a tactic regularly used by teams like the Patriots, Eagles and Sea Hawks and they are models for how it is done in the NFL).

Wilkerson got signficant playing time two years ago and was not impressive, which is why the team signed Mitchell and moved Kiwanuka to OLB in the first place. He is a Special Teams player based on what I have seen.

The Giants have options, which is what I was pointing out. They can keep Shockey, certainly. I think that the team also has options to trade him and help the team improve as well (Green Bay, Carolina, Houston and others will look for a TE in the draft and the Giants can negotiate some sort of draft pick swap with one of them maybe).

This is too much arguing with a fellow Giants fan. WE WON THE FREAKING SUPERBOWL!!! Long distance high five to you in my old stomping grounds in Madison County.

:dancingpa

Boy, talk about a guy while he's down.:rolleyes:

I am one of the biggest Shockey fans out there. I watched him when he was fighting for a spot during pre-season games. He was busting chops when he had the ball. I remember the first time I watched him play, can't remember what team, but I remember him very well. The first time he got the ball he mowed down 3 defenders and got 15+ yards. I told my boys to watch this kid. He's gonna be gooood. I believe he turned out to be.

Shockey is 100% football. He'll smack you in the mouth to get an extra yard. All this negativity towards Shockey is surprising me. Sure he could have been on the sidelines. I'm sure he had his reasons. I'd be knocking a few back, myself, if I was in his shoes.

To say that Shockey isn't a team player is like saying Peyton Manning is a horrible QB. Let's leave the "not a team player" comments for guys like Ocho Cinco, TO, and Ricky Williams. OK?