J. Shockey

What kind of Shockey will we get?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Shockey will we get?

• New, improved, and less whiny.
    • Same old, same old.
    • They'll trade him before they ever find out.

I saw how he was saucing it up in the box at the Super Bowl...nice....he is one of my all time favorite TE's...I think that next year, he will be a tremendous asset as the Giants try to get over the hump they couldn't with their last two Super Bowls...missing the playoffs.

What? :confused:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A trade would hurt the Giants cap if I'm not mistaken.

Releasing him hurts the cap...what are the rules on trades? I am not sure about this, but even if there is a hit it would be for one year. If they can get a draft pick to ensure both outside line backer help and secondary help, I would take a hit.

Jerry Reese is the most underrated executive in the league anyway. He will make the right decision.

Releasing him hurts the cap...what are the rules on trades? I am not sure about this, but even if there is a hit it would be for one year. If they can get a draft pick to ensure both outside line backer help and secondary help, I would take a hit.

Jerry Reese is the most underrated executive in the league anyway. He will make the right decision.

Trades would hurt the cap as well.

The Giants don't need to release or trade him, Kevin Boss is good but he is no Shockey. They can get linebacker help and secondary help from free agency and the draft. Their OLB's have played pretty good lately though. Mitchell and Torbor did a nice job late in the season. Don't forget they also got Gerris Wilkinson coming up too.

In the secondary, they could use some help. A new safety to take over for James Butler would be nice, and maybe another young corner.

Still, I'm 100% against trading one of the leaders of your team. Shockey takes a ton of heat off of guys like Burress and Toomer and Smith.

He was partying in the box, which I thought was cool

he is one of my favorite TE's

the Giants have missed the playoffs the last two times following their SB wins.

I understand now. But that was in 86' and 91'. I'm not so sure that trend will continue based on what happened that long ago.

Sounds like people have the wrong impression of Shockey. He didn't want to be on the sidelines because he didn't want to jinx his boys. He wanted them to win but was obviously upset that he couldn't contribute.

He's worked his tail off for 6 years and gets hurt in week 14... Tough crowd...

Sounds like people have the wrong impression of Shockey. He didn't want to be on the sidelines because he didn't want to jinx his boys. He wanted them to win but was obviously upset that he couldn't contribute.

He's worked his tail off for 6 years and gets hurt in week 14... Tough crowd...

Tough crowd perhaps, but you can't deny the fact that Eli blossomed when Shockey was not in the huddle. I don't think that's a coincidence.

If there is one top tight end I wouldn't trade Shockey for, it's Todd Heap. He's injured more than Shockey is.

Way to miss the point of the post. I'll give you a pass this time, since your mind may still be scrambled with glee. (I know; I've experienced the same behavior in the last few years :D )

But still, the point is Coughlin can bargain in a position of power (as can Eli) when they tell him to SHUT UP NOW AND FOREVER when Shockey does get back on the field. My use of Heap was strictly hypothetical; leak trade rumours with Heap's name attached not because the Giants intend to actually pull the trigger on the trade, but because they can express to Shockey they don't care what he does, the Giants can win without him.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about when you dropped the "emotional leader" phrase. The only emotional leading Shockey seems to do results in losses. That kind of leadership my team doesn't need.

The Giants don't need to release or trade him, Kevin Boss is good but he is no Shockey. They can get linebacker help and secondary help from free agency and the draft. Their OLB's have played pretty good lately though. Mitchell and Torbor did a nice job late in the season. Don't forget they also got Gerris Wilkinson coming up too.

In the secondary, they could use some help. A new safety to take over for James Butler would be nice, and maybe another young corner.

Still, I'm 100% against trading one of the leaders of your team. Shockey takes a ton of heat off of guys like Burress and Toomer and Smith.

Both Torbor and Mitchell are Free Agents. Wilkenson is not an upgrade, in my opinion. I would also say that Kiwanuka needs to go back to the line instead of playing OLB. I would rather draft a LB and let him learn our system from day 1 then try to find a good fit in free agency (unless we could get Lance Briggs, he would fit nicely!).

The offense performed too well without Shockey to say that his presence is significant on the field. The locker room presence may be worth keeping him around, however the reports for years were that Jeremy was as much of a distraction as he was a leader.

Again, Reese will do the right thing; in Jerry I trust.

Most feel it was Shockey clamoring for the ball when in fact it was Eli forcing it a little bit to get him involved.

... because Shockey was clamorning for the ball, and Eli hasn't got the personality to tell him to shut the hell up and stop acting like TO or Ocho Cinco. Maybe this year busts Eli out of his shell, but I'm thinking Shockey's personality will go right back to its earlier overbearing levels once he's back on the field.

In this case, Shockey's base salary escalates in 2008 from 850,000 to 2.225 Million. His signing bonus was 3 million, so pro-rated, that is a drop in the bucket.

The Giants might benefit from cutting Shockey if they can't trade him to avoid paying his March playing bonus and his June roster bonus.

I would not be shocked to hear that the Giants are renegotiating Jeremy's contract and if he plays hardball, start looking for trade partners.

In this case, Shockey's base salary escalates in 2008 from 850,000 to 2.225 Million. His signing bonus was 3 million, so pro-rated, that is a drop in the bucket.

The Giants might benefit from cutting Shockey if they can't trade him to avoid paying his March playing bonus and his June roster bonus.

I would not be shocked to hear that the Giants are renegotiating Jeremy's contract and if he plays hardball, start looking for trade partners.

He's only getting paid 1.9 million in 2008.

LINK