"Working the officials"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that people think their opinion is right about a particular play but the officials is wrong. What "mistakes" are these refs making?

I saw a 3 second lane violation called on an inbounds play. I have seen a player with the ball just run over a defender at full speed, no call. I have seen players camped in the lanes for over five seconds. This post could go on for a long time. Some of these guys should be ashamed to take their pay. And to anyone who wants to invite me to sign up, yes I would do a much better job, and I am already involved in a different capacity. So don't waste the time.

IMO Al Hollon's (14th region Hazard) "working" of the officials is worth 6-10 points a game sometimes. It's like this, if a call could go either way, like a charge of block, it goes for Al just so they don't have to hear it.

I also know of some coaches that, after getting out of coaching for whatever reason, get into officiating and quickly understand they are way over their heads when it comes to calling games. They quickly understand it is easier to coach then "work or whine" the officials and they last maybe 2 years at most and give it up.

You can work them and still be their friend. If an official respects you as a coach, you will have a better relationship with him. However, I think the coaches who work the officials and respect them get further than the ones who do not respect them! Maybe an obvious statement, but it is true!

Interesting that people think their opinion is right about a particular play but the officials is wrong. What "mistakes" are these refs making?

It's not an opinion if you go back and watch game video and see the missed calls of player position, obvious hacks, traveling and others. I know the refs can't make every call, but from what I have seen, and not my opinion there are a few refs that should not be at the high school level. A few missed calls here and there are fine, but to butcher the entire game is unacceptable when they are being paid to do a job. I really prefer to hold my tongue about officiating, but some have warranted discussion.

I saw a 3 second lane violation called on an inbounds play. I have seen a player with the ball just run over a defender at full speed, no call. I have seen players camped in the lanes for over five seconds. This post could go on for a long time. Some of these guys should be ashamed to take their pay. And to anyone who wants to invite me to sign up, yes I would do a much better job, and I am already involved in a different capacity. So don't waste the time.

A different capacity? That's not running up and down the floor or going to camps and clinics in order to train officials, I'd say. Assigning secretaries wouldn't talk like that, so what other capacity is there? Just wondering?

You can work them and still be their friend. If an official respects you as a coach, you will have a better relationship with him. However, I think the coaches who work the officials and respect them get further than the ones who do not respect them! Maybe an obvious statement, but it is true!

Great post! Even if you think that the official is horrible, if you respect them for the job that they do(and the official can tell) you will get alot further with that official than a coach who doesn't respect them.

I really do not want to do some bashing on fans vs. officials, coaches vs. officials, officials vs. assigning secs. so i will try and keep this above the line. There are, without a doubt, some officials who ,by and large, are good and even great officials. I do not believe there is a such thing as a bad of poor official. Most schools pay between 40-75 dollars for all games depending on middle school to varsity level. Would that get better officials paying more? No. Would a 3 man crew at every game more called more productive. Yes, but at additional cost that most budgets do not allow. Bear in mind officials have to call more than black and white on a test or in a book. A 10 year official is, of course, going to see things from a judgement standpoint different from a 2-3 year guy. A game called by 2-3 officials who have less than 5 years experience is going to be a challenge, for them as well as the teams involved. Realize that those guys even with that little experience has already been to more clinics, attended rules seminars/updates, read more on the rules and tested out and cleared by the KHSAA more than anyone else in the gym that night. Will they miss a call? Sure. They will learn from it. Do they have a big head? Sometimes, but they have to because of the nature of what they are doing. They have to control players.coaches fans security and so on. Coaches coach, players play, fans will they do what they do. It is easy to say a person could do a better job, but without really doing it, with all due respect, No you can't. Why? because you would be just another official.

I try and sit behind the team benches for most games, because I love to hear what goes on in the huddle and the bantor between the coaches and refs. Not on for the "entertainment value", but you learn a lot about the game, the coaches, and players.

A lot of coaches do seem to spend more time harping with the officials than coaching. Some do it much better than others, and I have seen it have an influence on future calls. Having watched High School ball closely for 20 years, it seems to have as much to do with the coaches reputation, tenture, etc. Most new coaches don't seem to get a lot of respect or calls many times. After a coach has been around a while, or been successful, they tend to do better with the officials. Maybe they have gained the respect of the officials, or just the fact that they know they better over time.

What is painful to watch is freshmen and JV games officiated. I understand that officials have to start somewhere (just like the players). But I have seen some that don't even understand the basic rules of the game. Travelling, palming, over and back..... I saw one freshman game this year, where the ref didn't even know which line was the baseline. 3 times, he called an out of bounds on the volleyball line (which is 3-4 feet from the baseline). One of the other refs talked to him during a timeout. He still called it again, but at least he caught himself and changed his call.

Of course, it could be that the coaches are improving their skills over the years, and with success comes less complaining about the officiating? Yea, I agree with the posters that Alan Feldhaus Jr works them pretty well. But there are many many more. And sometimes I think some coaches don't work the refs enough.