"Working the officials"

Do you really think that training what I call "wanna be's" who never really played the game is the answer? I agree that more extensive training is better than nothing. But it seems to me you need to have an inate understanding that comes from truly learning the game early on. I am probably wrong but I think more reasonable compensation might attract the better qualified individuals. If there is a pool to choose from then wouldn't the poor officials be more likely to go by the wayside?? If compensation was reasonable then the "director of officials" could then recruit more qualified individuals directly. Just my thoughts, I am probably out in left field.

Yes I do think this is the answer. Not all refs have been good players and not all coaches were good players. Some of the best coaches never started a game or even got off the bench. To say that they never played the game is to broad of a statement. If your 40 years old now the game is a lot different than it was when you played in the 80's. My point is and i have said this on here before, I don't care how much you pay the refs it won't improve the quality, it will only improve the quantity. I owned a business before and I increased my starting pay for new emplyee's hoping to get better people....it didn't work they work a week and quit. The ones that want to be good will be good and the ones just doing it for the money will keep doing it for the money, its a never ending cycle. In every job there is training so why should it be different for the refs. Not asking a lot for a guy to go to a instructional camp for a few days and spend some of the money they have made for years. By the way it all starts at the top, good leaders create a good team and its not like that in some regions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do think this is the answer. Not all refs have been good players and not all coaches were good players. Some of the best coaches never started a game or even got off the bench. To say that they never played the game is to broad of a statement. If your 40 years old now the game is a lot different than it was when you played in the 80's. My point is and i have said this on here before, I don't care how much you pay the refs it won't improve the quality, it will only improve the quantity. I owned a business before and I increased my starting pay for new emplyee's hoping to get better people....it didn't work they work a week and quit. The ones that want to be good will be good and the ones just doing it for the money will keep doing it for the money, its a never ending cycle. In every job there is training so why should it be different for the refs. Not asking a lot for a guy to go to a instructional camp for a few days and spend some of the money they have made for years. By the way it all starts at the top, good leaders create a good team and its not like that in some regions.

While I'll agree that throwing money at the problem isn't an end all be all solution, I'll politely disagree that it would not improve the quality.

Sure, better training will result in the exisiting officials getting better. However, as you noted better pay would increase the quantity. This does two things: First it allows associations to place officials in games that fit their current ability (thus increasing the quality). Second it allows the association to keep and attract new officials (thus increasing quality). So yes, indirectly, better pay will improve the overall quality (to a point).

I agree wholeheartedly about clinics and camps, and for some of us, they aren't really optional (more like a yearly event). I think what your failing to realize is that for a lot of the officials, they are already giving up a lot of their free time to attend approx 20-40 hours of association meetings and training each year. Because this is a hobby for most, its not something they can devote much more time to, many are already pushing the limits (doing 5+ games a week, training, all while having young children and family at home).

I can assure you that the problem with the officiating has absolutely nothing to do with the amount or quality of instruction that the officials are getting. Most already attend these outside camps, and really do try to improve and learn each and every year. The real problem is that guys are being placed in games that are over their ability due to lack of numbers. They mess up, look bad, etc. and prematurely decide that this isn't for them. In addition many of the older officials have decided there is simply too much hassle for 50 bucks a game when they could spend that time with their kids, grandkids, etc. You can train a 1st year official till your blue in the face, but I promise there is no substitute for experience in that crucial big game, big situation moment.

so, how many of you guys who posted want to get signed up? http://www.khsaa.org

I agree with many of the post, but the shortage is due to the fact:

1. who wants to be treated like an idiot an entire game?

2. Gas prices

3. time

4. disrespect by most

5. compensation

It really goes in this order..... Most officials are in basketball, this is the love of the state. Football, next and followed by baseball..... The shortage is not only in KY but the entire country. A lot of your better officials are beginning to move into the college ranks and the older guys are retiring or do not adjust to the games' offiicating philosophy and do not get many games.

The fact remains that officials are treated with disrespect and that is the bottom line. Me, I rarely hear fans, every. At times you have a lower attending game and a coach wants to yell to humiliate an official. I really think that in the next 10-15 years, games will be played every single night to cover them. There's reasons why games are being played now on days that normally did not play a few years ago.

Another threat is the lower level games, you get better pay. Officials are beginning to work these games for the compensation..... Be nice to the guys in stripes..... A lot of us do work hard, year around.

The real problem is that guys are being placed in games that are over their ability due to lack of numbers. They mess up, look bad, etc. and prematurely decide that this isn't for them. In addition many of the older officials have decided there is simply too much hassle for 50 bucks a game when they could spend that time with their kids, grandkids, etc. You can train a 1st year official till your blue in the face, but I promise there is no substitute for experience in that crucial big game, big situation moment.

I agree with you on the placement of guys in games that is over their heads!!

One question i would like to ask is how many regions assign JV ball? Not 100% on this but there are two regions that don't, the 13th and I don't know the other(think its out west). It shows in the 13th for sure. Time has caught up to the guys that have been calling for 20-30 years and it shows. There is no new blood coming up and they are having to learn by being placed in situations that are not good to learn in (over their heads). The 12th region has a bunch of great officials that have had to go through the ranks and EARN the right to call varsity ball. You can't throw a guy into a NL vs SL game and expect them to learn anything but being yelled at and talked about. They all want the big game even if they aren't ready. The 13th is behind the times and if there isn 't something done about it fast it will only get worst. Its time for the coaches to speak up and make something happen.

:thumb:

I would ask the general "official" bashing public this question: Why do you think it is that so few officials come out or stick with officiating?

I'd argue that it is exactly the premise that this thread was started on. I think we all get enough of people getting on us at our real jobs, at home, etc. So it's not a suprise to me at all that some grow tired of being harassed by coaches, fans, and the like. So they hang it up or never start at all. And what does that leave you with? More guys who have even less experience calling games.

You guys make it sound like this is a profession, and that people are beating down the door to become officials.

I would think that where I watch games, it has to do with the polictics of getting games, it is there and there is no use in denying it, I know because I was an official.

Experience is not whole the issue either, it is just poor mechanics, being out of postion and being to un-motivated to the point you don't get up and down the floor.

I don't know the answer as I said before and I don't mean to bash individual officials (I have not used name) but there needs to be changes so good officials can get games and the lazy one get the bad games or no games at all untill they are motivated enough to do a good job.