"Working the officials"

It seems as if quite a few coaches spend considerable time during the games I have seen " working the officials". Some tend to question every call (better known as whiners) and I really don't understand it. I have seen very few calls ever changed during the course of a game. If one coach is complaining about calls, then you can usually expect the opposing coach to do the same. Refs don't like it, that's for sure.

I think the time could be spent better coaching the kids instead of worrying about the calls.:irked:

I am interested to read your opinion on this topic.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who was an official in his younger day's he is retired because he has gotten to old and out of shape to run the floor. He admitted that he had instantaneously with a scream of walk from the coach who was standing close by blew his whistle and called a walk before thinking. He also knew others who got mad at fans and coaches and made a bad call or two to get even. Hey! these guy's are just human. They make mistake's like everyone else. Some are unintentional, some are otherwise. Life go's on.

IMO there is a right and a wrong way to "work the officials". Should a coach always be up screaming on what seems like every call this is going to do nothing but work in reverse for him. Then he will never get a call.

I believe in just not as obvious talks, when a ref is near the coach that he offers "opinions" or suggestions to the ref. Trying not to make it so obvious that he (the coach) is the one that looks like an idiot. I know of some that have worked the officials by going to another official other than the one they are mad or displeased with, they say something to the order of "Hey, Joe - you are an excellent ref and this crew that you are with is makng you look pretty bad, that guy over there has not gotten a call right all night - he could use your influence. You are agood ref but that clown is killing me."

This just might get a coach some calls later in the game without "calling a ref out" and making it obvious. Just an idea.

Some refs need to be told something, especially the games that get out of hand. I'm talking about the one's who could careless about being there and are just there waiting for the game to be over and get there time in. We are all human, and most refs, do try to do the best they can and some may do it better than others. Sometimes they just need to be got onto to remember they need to pick up on their job.

I am new to this area, and I have to say a majority of the refs I have seen should not be officiating high school games. It's hard to sit through a game and enjoy it because of the amount of mistakes these refs are making. So, I can't blame the coaches for trying to work the refs.

I am new to this area, and I have to say a majority of the refs I have seen should not be officiating high school games. It's hard to sit through a game and enjoy it because of the amount of mistakes these refs are making. So, I can't blame the coaches for trying to work the refs.

Interesting that people think their opinion is right about a particular play but the officials is wrong. What "mistakes" are these refs making?

Welcome to BGP's PB4ONC

Just curious but with BGP's covering the entire Commonwealth of Kentucky (which is a pretty big area :D) what area of the Commonwealth are you talking about (being new to) and where are you from in the first place?

Again welcome to BGP's! You will fine no better Sports Forum to read and or to discuss sports!