"Working the officials"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make better officials whether basketball, baseball or football, you need a better system of checks and balances. Rating by the coaches is crazy, and having "assinging secretaries" is even more ludicrous.

Better teams get the calls, so they can get the ratings from the better schools, thus if you are one of the lesser rated teams you don't get the same benifit of the calls. Also officials try to gain favor with the assigning secretary to get better games and less travel, so good young officials cannot break into the good ole boys network. If you have ANYconnection to the school or system there is no way you should ever call one of their games. Like someone else said these guys are human and whether they mean to or not sometimes they favor a team which they have that connection to. On top of that there will always appear to be favoritism.

I truely get tired of watching bad officials, the game of basketball has changed to shoving matches with little attention to the fundamentals of passing and shooting and has become a contest of who has the best athlete not the best basketball player(s). I see one official who is just too lazy to get up and down the floor and into the right position, but because he is a favorite of one school he continues to get big games.

Bottom line, like I said before there needs to be a better system of checks and balances to week out the just plain bad and in some cases corrupt officials. (I don't mean corrupt as in cheating but just plain lazy and drawing a check, to me that is corrupt beacause you are short-changing the kids who work so hard)

To make better officials whether basketball, baseball or football, you need a better system of checks and balances. Rating by the coaches is crazy, and having "assinging secretaries" is even more ludicrous.

Better teams get the calls, so they can get the ratings from the better schools, thus if you are one of the lesser rated teams you don't get the same benifit of the calls. Also officials try to gain favor with the assigning secretary to get better games and less travel, so good young officials cannot break into the good ole boys network. If you have ANYconnection to the school or system there is no way you should ever call one of their games. Like someone else said these guys are human and whether they mean to or not sometimes they favor a team which they have that connection to. On top of that there will always appear to be favoritism.

I truely get tired of watching bad officials, the game of basketball has changed to shoving matches with little attention to the fundamentals of passing and shooting and has become a contest of who has the best athlete not the best basketball player(s). I see one official who is just too lazy to get up and down the floor and into the right position, but because he is a favorite of one school he continues to get big games.

Bottom line, like I said before there needs to be a better system of checks and balances to week out the just plain bad and in some cases corrupt officials. (I don't mean corrupt as in cheating but just plain lazy and drawing a check, to me that is corrupt beacause you are short-changing the kids who work so hard)

What would you suggest as a better check and balances system? Who do you think should assign the games?

Nobody rides the officials like Alan Feldhaus, Jr. from Madison Central.

Except his dad.

I clearly remember a time in HS that our coach was complaining because Feldhaus was yelling at the officials and was further down OUR BENCH than our coach was.

That is right. He left his bench, crossed midcourt, past up our coach, went past the first seat, yelling at the official.

It was great.

Also remember Deron between games as he was probably 6th grade shooting 30 footers and draining them.

Some refs need to be told something, especially the games that get out of hand. I'm talking about the one's who could careless about being there and are just there waiting for the game to be over and get there time in. We are all human, and most refs, do try to do the best they can and some may do it better than others. Sometimes they just need to be got onto to remember they need to pick up on their job.

It's not a job for nearly all of them, it is a hobby. They give up their own personal time to referee for a very minimal amount (especially with gas prices these days). You want to call and treat it like a job, fine, then pay it like one as well. If you want to improve the quality of officiating, then become one yourself! It's easy to sit by idly and complain........

It is not an easy job by any means, but there are FAR to many "un-qualified" people trying to be referees! Not for sure who's fault that is: the ones training or the ones being trained??

Most officials associations have trouble just getting enough bodies to officiate all of their games, much less place QUALITY officials in higher level games. What your seeing is a lack of experience.

I really do not want to do some bashing on fans vs. officials, coaches vs. officials, officials vs. assigning secs. so i will try and keep this above the line. There are, without a doubt, some officials who ,by and large, are good and even great officials. I do not believe there is a such thing as a bad of poor official. Most schools pay between 40-75 dollars for all games depending on middle school to varsity level. Would that get better officials paying more? No. Would a 3 man crew at every game more called more productive. Yes, but at additional cost that most budgets do not allow. Bear in mind officials have to call more than black and white on a test or in a book. A 10 year official is, of course, going to see things from a judgement standpoint different from a 2-3 year guy. A game called by 2-3 officials who have less than 5 years experience is going to be a challenge, for them as well as the teams involved. Realize that those guys even with that little experience has already been to more clinics, attended rules seminars/updates, read more on the rules and tested out and cleared by the KHSAA more than anyone else in the gym that night. Will they miss a call? Sure. They will learn from it. Do they have a big head? Sometimes, but they have to because of the nature of what they are doing. They have to control players.coaches fans security and so on. Coaches coach, players play, fans will they do what they do. It is easy to say a person could do a better job, but without really doing it, with all due respect, No you can't. Why? because you would be just another official.

:thumb:

I would ask the general "official" bashing public this question: Why do you think it is that so few officials come out or stick with officiating?

I'd argue that it is exactly the premise that this thread was started on. I think we all get enough of people getting on us at our real jobs, at home, etc. So it's not a suprise to me at all that some grow tired of being harassed by coaches, fans, and the like. So they hang it up or never start at all. And what does that leave you with? More guys who have even less experience calling games.

You guys make it sound like this is a profession, and that people are beating down the door to become officials.

Folks, people aren't lined up two dep to become officials. This is a thankless job for those who give the effort. I really appreciate those who take the time, effort and energy to take on this task. Therefore, I try to always give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have two solutions: one-coaches must coach and not address the officials in any manner otherwise automatic technicals, two t's and they are out. This would shut them up. OK, this one won't happen.

My other solution is to make the pay more lucrative to attract better qualifed personnel, perhaps $100 or more per game. This way the athletic department of the coaches school gets to foot the bill so the coach can then complain all he wants.

Otherwise, be thankful for those that are willing.:thumb:

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer. Retired as I may be, I know this. Training is the only answer to getting more qualified officials out into the games.

There is no substitute for taking a little time away from the summer and learning what one might not know. It helped me way back in the day, when there were not many camps to go to. If the state would mandate that all officials have to go to a camp outside the state every two to four years, you would see a dramatic increase in well officiated games.

There will always be the guys that are just out there for the money (as pitiful as it may be) or for the glory. Some people just love getting yelled at!

:banana:

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer. Retired as I may be, I know this. Training is the only answer to getting more qualified officials out into the games.

There is no substitute for taking a little time away from the summer and learning what one might not know. It helped me way back in the day, when there were not many camps to go to. If the state would mandate that all officials have to go to a camp outside the state every two to four years, you would see a dramatic increase in well officiated games.

:banana:

These two statements say it all!!! This is the only thing that will help. It shows with some that have and do go to the camps. I know of three or four that do this and they have improved a lot and moved up into doing some college.

These two statements say it all!!! This is the only thing that will help. It shows with some that have and do go to the camps. I know of three or four that do this and they have improved a lot and moved up into doing some college.

Do you really think that training what I call "wanna be's" who never really played the game is the answer? I agree that more extensive training is better than nothing. But it seems to me you need to have an inate understanding that comes from truly learning the game early on. I am probably wrong but I think more reasonable compensation might attract the better qualified individuals. If there is a pool to choose from then wouldn't the poor officials be more likely to go by the wayside?? If compensation was reasonable then the "director of officials" could then recruit more qualified individuals directly. Just my thoughts, I am probably out in left field.

In my opinion you take the officials you have in your association and you train them and work them until they become better at least! To me saying that there is an overall decline in the numbers is an excuse as to why we don't train them better!