Woodson: Stock Up/Stock Down??

just 4 fun

Yesterday's game will have ZERO to do with an NFL team's decision to pick Andre.

His draft status will be determined mainly by one-on-one workouts and combines. NFL teams know who he is. They've seen him in game action. They have an idea of what he can and cannot do. They will now look with a much more discerning eye.

Yesterday's performance was great for Andre, UK , the team, and the fans. Nothing more.

Actually it could have a lot to do with his draft stock. Was Russel even mentioned as the number 1 pick until his big bowl game against Notre Dame? If he was, I don't remember it..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it could have a lot to do with his draft stock. Was Russel even mentioned as the number 1 pick until his big bowl game against Notre Dame? If he was, I don't remember it..

Russell didn't get drafted off of one game. No one does.

Yeah, he was touted as a top pick all year long. The fact that the Raiders owned the top pick and needed a quarterback was the deciding factor. His performance against what was regarded as a very, very poor Notre Dame defense had little to do with it.

Troy Smith, the Heisman winner, would have been a top 10-20 pick if he had a good game against Florida. Russell went number 1 because of his big game against Notre Dame...

He was never considered to be a first round pick. Here's what scouts had to say about him, it wasn't the Florida game that caused him not to go in the first round. From ESPN.com and an NFL scout:

Few prospects in the 2007 NFL draft class have improved their stock as much as Smith has during his senior season. Smith has refined his passing skills and improved his overall decision making as a quarterback. He is still capable of beating defenses with his feet, but Smith has proven to be a much more patient passer this season. He has essentially become a cross between Michael Vick (Falcons) and Drew Brees (Saints). His character issues and below average size still serve as red flags, but we believe Smith has matured enough as a person and passer to warrant consideration as a first-day quarterback selection.

He was never considered to be a first round pick. Here's what scouts had to say about him, it wasn't the Florida game that caused him not to go in the first round. From ESPN.com and an NFL scout:

Few prospects in the 2007 NFL draft class have improved their stock as much as Smith has during his senior season. Smith has refined his passing skills and improved his overall decision making as a quarterback. He is still capable of beating defenses with his feet, but Smith has proven to be a much more patient passer this season. He has essentially become a cross between Michael Vick (Falcons) and Drew Brees (Saints). His character issues and below average size still serve as red flags, but we believe Smith has matured enough as a person and passer to warrant consideration as a first-day quarterback selection.

How could a guy who had a year like he did, and win the Heisman not go in the first round? I may be an Ohio State fan, but that's just the facts. I know his size may have hurt him a litte but come on.

How could a guy who had a year like he did, and win the Heisman not go in the first round? I may be an Ohio State fan, but that's just the facts. I know his size may have hurt him a litte but come on.

The paragraph about him tells you exactly why he didn't go in the first round. He was NEVER considered a first round pick. The Heisman is for the best COLLEGE football player and has nothing to do with the players pro potential. Go back and look at Jason White, Eric Crouch, Charlie Ward etc. All of those players had great seasons, won the Heisman and didn't sniff the first round. Being 6'0" with questionable mechanics killed Smith's stock--not the beating that the Gators gave him.

Charlie Ward asked the same question when he came out in the draft years ago. So did Danny Wuerfuel (sp). It happens. The NFL looks for a very specific type of QB and anyone outside of the mold gets left in the dust.

The only question mark I have on Brennan is his size. Will he be able to see over the NFL sized linemen. I believe he's more a product of the system. What's the scoop on that kid from Delaware? Never heard of him before.

He will be the hot QB name coming from the draft this year. I'm not as big on him as some other folks. He went to Pitt and could not beat out Tyler Palko, so he transferred to Delaware. He had a nice career there, winning a National Title.

Good size, good arm, he will need to distinguish himself at the combine, much like Woodson.

Coming from a UK Fan, I think that Brohm is by far the best QB in this draft. His mechanics, reads, arm strength, and composure are unmatched.

Woodson is second IMO. His ability to read defenses, arm strength, and touch are definately 1st Round quality, Woodson though really struggles with his release speed and holds on to the ball enitrely too long.

IMO, Matt Ryan will never make it in the NFL. He forces too many throws, he doesn't have much arm strength at all, and anytime he feels pressure he throws off his back foot instead of stepping into the pocket. He does have much more mobility than Bohm and Woodson, and his ability to freelance plays has been impressive, but I can't see him excelling in the pros.

Troy Smith, the Heisman winner, would have been a top 10-20 pick if he had a good game against Florida. Russell went number 1 because of his big game against Notre Dame...

Brother, you couldn't more offbase on your "one game" theory. No way in the world was Troy Smith EVER going to be a first-round pick.

Maybe the Bengals might draft a kid off of one game but REAL NFL scouts look at a kid's abilities and then see where they fit in the NFL. What makes you successful in college, much less one college GAME, does not always equate to success at the NFL level (see Geno Toretta).

Dre will need to be surrounded with a good offensive line to be successful at the next level, he doesnt have the mobility to run around and make plays with his feet. I think thats what seperates him and Brohm. I think those two tho are the top 2 in the draft.

I've not seen anything in Brohms mobility to seperate him from anyone else. If anything, his lack of mobility and foot speed may well be one of his weaknesses. I can see that as a drawback for Woodson, too.