Is Recruiting Going On At Your School? I Think It Should Be.

LUCK

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlands, actually we had a conversation regarding 72birdfans story. We are all from Lloyd and was just talking how Highlands does this and what a storied program they have and how successful it is. They do a temendous job in Ft Thomas and I hope they keep it up. JD

Just for the record, if the coach or any representative of the coaching staff tries and talk to a player about NOT TRANSFERRING to another school, it is considered illegal recruiting.

So, the recruiting in your school can only go so far or it crosses the line to illegal recruiting, technically.

I remember that there was a thread on here years ago called "Highlands Recruited My Son Today" or something like that. It was very well written and explained how Highlands tradition permeates through the town and elementary schools. Is there a way to pull that up again? I've searched for it but cannot find it.
That is our version of "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" -- and just as well written. Whoever wrote it deserves an award.

Just for the record, if the coach or any representative of the coaching staff tries and talk to a player about NOT TRANSFERRING to another school, it is considered illegal recruiting.

So, the recruiting in your school can only go so far or it crosses the line to illegal recruiting, technically.

I think the main idea in this thread is to get the kids out of the halls and on to the court or playing field. We are not really talking about illegal/questionable practices.

I think the main idea in this thread is to get the kids out of the halls and on to the court or playing field. We are not really talking about illegal/questionable practices.

Agree and it has been a great thread. Just wanted to point that out so in the recruiting within the school, there is limitations and no one ends up getting their school in trouble.

That's the old rule LBBC. It was changed this year. A coach/administrator can now recruit students at his/her school to stay at his/her school. By law 10 was accordingly revised.

OUSTANDING POINT!!! This is another big piece of the puzzle that we are working desperately to create... a great feeder program. Right now we are lucky. We have great coaches at all levels that are pushing the kids to do the right thing on and off the field. Great role models in the youth program are a big key to success at the high school level! :thumb: The great southeastern KY programs that I'm familiar with have awesome feeder programs. (Bell, Rock, Breathitt, Corbin, Belfry, etc.) Hats off to all these programs for setting great examples for young coaches everywhere!

What is even more outstanding ParisPride is the effort you and your school are making to create that great feeder program. That kind of effort is what it is going to take to truly build a successful program. A tip of my hat to you. In my opinion, one of the reason that some programs have only enjoyed cyclical success is that they are only successful when they have that rare group of very talented athletes. Once those kids graduate, the program drops off until the next group of naturally talented kids come along. Programs that are successful year in and year out are those that have very strong feeder programs. They don't count on raw athletic talent to be successful, they develop the talent, interest and enthusiasm through the feeder programs. Frank's post was right on point.

Highlands this year is a perfect example. I seriously doubt if more than one kid goes D1, so there is not a large group of really athletically talented kids on the team. But there is a large group of kids that because of the youth league got decent instruction, but maybe even more importantly, had enough fun that they wanted to stick it our and become Highlands football players (which because of the time demands, is not easy). Then as a result of all that hard work, those kids became a bunch of better than average high school football players. We don't have any superstars, but we do have a bunch of solid, good players across the board. When you don't have weaknesses, you become tough to beat. And the tradition mentioned also goes a long way to making that happen. As 72 knows, his point is applicable to my son and then some. Not only does he have a father, a brother and two cousins that were on championship teams, he has two uncles and a grandfather that were on state championship teams. And he's not unique in town at all. If you don't think that provides extra motivation, not only during the offseason and during the summer, but during the games themselves, we'll just respectfully have to disagree.

OUSTANDING POINT!!! This is another big piece of the puzzle that we are working desperately to create... a great feeder program. Right now we are lucky. We have great coaches at all levels that are pushing the kids to do the right thing on and off the field. Great role models in the youth program are a big key to success at the high school level! :thumb: The great southeastern KY programs that I'm familiar with have awesome feeder programs. (Bell, Rock, Breathitt, Corbin, Belfry, etc.) Hats off to all these programs for setting great examples for young coaches everywhere!

I have said on this forum for years that this is EXACTLY why St. X and Trinity are successful. In the Louisville Catholic Grade School System there is the Catholic School Athletic Association (CSAA). It is very much the equivalent of the KHSAA. In the Louisville Catholic Grade School System there is an Athletic Director at each elementary school that is responsible for administering the rules and regulations set forth by the CSAA. In the Louisville Catholic Grade School System there are coaches and parents that start teaching the game of football to kids as early as the second grade. Granted it's just flag without contact until 5th grade, but the fundamentals begin early.

These kids by the time they get to St. X or Trinity have already played seven, yes 7, seasons of football. Many if them have won a Toy Bowl or two and have a taste and a dream of what it is going to be like playing for St. X and/or Trinity. Build a feeder system and the system will get better.

Are they not playing because other teams they are members of will not allow them to?

Shame on coaches who do this. If a student is good enough to be involved in three different sports and enjoys it, leave him (or her) be. Coaches who do this are selfish.

:fire::fire::fire: