Is Recruiting Going On At Your School? I Think It Should Be.

LUCK

Do your coaches recruit within their own school's four walls?

Are there kids in the school not playing football who could help the team?

Are they not playing because of the non success of the program?

Are they not playing because other teams they are members of will not allow them to?

I know in a couple of the schools in my area there are students who attend the school but do not play football. They could be good, and at one time were, good football players. They have told me that they have never talked to the coach and do not play because the school has not been successful in football and the community (student, teachers, fans) do not seem to care. In other instances the athletes participated in baseball and basketball and were encouraged not to participate in football. They were participating in off season activities with these other teams and team members and did not want to risk losing their spot on these teams.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great discussion... Here at Paris I have been hitting the halls on a daily basis recruiting kids from other sports and activities to help us in the weightroom. Paris is a very, very small district and with only 90 - 100 boys in grades 9-12 we need every willing and able student to participate. We struggled mainly because of a lack of numbers this year. At times, because of injury, I can recall dressing as little as 22 players this past season. Our future success depends on our ability to get kids out this winter and develop their strength, footwork, technique and toughness. With our efforts we are seeing immediate success! Our numbers are up and the most beneficial aspect of this is not only the fact that we can develop these kids on football fundamentals early, but we are breeding great competition day-in and day-out. It's exciting to have familiar faces hitting the weights during the off-season but it's even better when kids out of the halls that can truly help on the field are getting involved as well! I hope everyone out there will stomp the halls and get kids involved in their respective programs... I feel that it has already been a big boost for our program!:ylsuper:

1. Are there kids in the school not playing football who could help the team?

2. Are they not playing because of the non success of the program?

3. Are they not playing because other teams they are members of will not allow them to?

Tradition has a lot to do with it. I think there are probably kids in every school that roam the hallways, that could help out with their school's team. In most cases, lack of motivation on a personal level is to blame. As far as coaches telling kids not to play because they are involved with other sports, that makes for a hostile environment. IMO, coaches that practice this philosophy should be fired. And, if it is allowed to go on, the administration should be fired as well. Just one man's thoughts.

My guess is there will be a surge in participation at Lincoln Co. This year's team seems to have ignited school and community spirit. The current players, especially the returning Juniors, have a fire in their gut...they want to get back. The taste of success is sweet...they want more. They will be pulling their athletic buds out of the halls and driving them for success.

This has been a huge problem at Holmes. They struggle to get kids in the athletic programs that could really help.

Yep, I hear many times there are kids walking the halls down there that are Div 1 caliber but dont have the support or motivation to commit to a team. I am sure there may be other factors as well but its a shame.

Tradition has a lot to do with it. I think there are probably kids in every school that roam the hallways, that could help out with their school's team.

In the "prediction" threads, I get REALLY annoyed when "tradition" is brought in to the discussion. Predictions about upcoming games should be based on factors that affect THIS WEEK, not the past.

But HERE is where I think tradition is huge. I think tradition helps tremendously in getting kids to participate, and to press on when things get tough.

Predictions about upcoming games should be based on factors that affect THIS WEEK, not the past.

When you have a father, a brother, and two cousins that have won state championships, IN THE PAST, sitting in the stands watching you, TRADITION does affect this week's game.

When you have a father, a brother, and two cousins that have won state championships, IN THE PAST, sitting in the stands watching you, TRADITION does affect this week's game.

Great point! I was talking to another Highlands fan, and he told me that all kids show up for summer workouts at Highlands. That is just about impossible here at Letcher County Central due to summer jobs, transportation, other sports, etc. At Highlands and other schools with great tradition, the parents have also won State Championships and they make their kids participate in the summer schedule because they want their kids to experience the same feeling they had. You can get the kids sold on winning but getting the parents sold is the tough part IMO.

That is just about impossible here at Letcher County Central due to summer jobs, transportation, other sports, etc.

In general, I think that the independent (city) school districts do have an advantage from a geographic stand point. There probably isn't one kid in Ft T that lives more than two miles from the school, as opposed to some of the county schools where the kids are widely dispersed and transportation can be nearly impossible during the summer.

In my humble opinion the recruiting process begins at the third and fourth grade. The biggest asset a high school coach has is a feeder program. In my years with the FTJFL was the dedication of the coaches (high school and FTJFL), the parents, and last but not least the kids.

The majority of our kids went on to Highlands and to a lesser extent NCC. But it didn’t make any difference to us all the kids were given the chance to develop their athletic skills.

Most of our coaches were former Highlands’ players. The league worked closely with the coaching staff through clinics and advice to our coaches. We ran the same defense as Highlands and offensively used the same terminology. While the freshman football coach worked with us, the head coach was well aware of what we were doing and would give us advice.

We played our games at the stadium with the younger kids playing in Death Valley. So on Saturday we were all at the high school. Highlands reviewed the previous night’s game at 9 AM and would come out and mingle with our athletes and fans. The coaches would come out and spend time talking to the fans and athletes. Bottom line is that everyone felt they were part of the program. And this paid dividends later when the kids had earned their “wings (members of the varsity squad).”

It was amazing to some parents that the kids could be rivals on the field and after the game would hang around with each other. To me the greatest tribute came when my son made an outstanding tackle in the NCC game. One of the NCC players said “great hit” and congratulate my son. The NCC coach said “He’s your enemy don’t congratulate him.” The kid said “No he is my friend.”

The best recruiting tool is a solid feeder program.

In my humble opinion the recruiting process begins at the third and fourth grade. The biggest asset a high school coach has is a feeder program. In my years with the FTJFL was the dedication of the coaches (high school and FTJFL), the parents, and last but not least the kids.

The majority of our kids went on to Highlands and to a lesser extent NCC. But it didn’t make any difference to us all the kids were given the chance to develop their athletic skills.

Most of our coaches were former Highlands’ players. The league worked closely with the coaching staff through clinics and advice to our coaches. We ran the same defense as Highlands and offensively used the same terminology. While the freshman football coach worked with us, the head coach was well aware of what we were doing and would give us advice.

We played our games at the stadium with the younger kids playing in Death Valley. So on Saturday we were all at the high school. Highlands reviewed the previous night’s game at 9 AM and would come out and mingle with our athletes and fans. The coaches would come out and spend time talking to the fans and athletes. Bottom line is that everyone felt they were part of the program. And this paid dividends later when the kids had earned their “wings (members of the varsity squad).”

It was amazing to some parents that the kids could be rivals on the field and after the game would hang around with each other. To me the greatest tribute came when my son made an outstanding tackle in the NCC game. One of the NCC players said “great hit” and congratulate my son. The NCC coach said “He’s your enemy don’t congratulate him.” The kid said “No he is my friend.”

The best recruiting tool is a solid feeder program.

OUSTANDING POINT!!! This is another big piece of the puzzle that we are working desperately to create... a great feeder program. Right now we are lucky. We have great coaches at all levels that are pushing the kids to do the right thing on and off the field. Great role models in the youth program are a big key to success at the high school level! :thumb: The great southeastern KY programs that I'm familiar with have awesome feeder programs. (Bell, Rock, Breathitt, Corbin, Belfry, etc.) Hats off to all these programs for setting great examples for young coaches everywhere!

I remember that there was a thread on here years ago called "Highlands Recruited My Son Today" or something like that. It was very well written and explained how Highlands tradition permeates through the town and elementary schools. Is there a way to pull that up again? I've searched for it but cannot find it.

I remember that there was a thread on here years ago called "Highlands Recruited My Son Today" or something like that. It was very well written and explained how Highlands tradition permeates through the town and elementary schools. Is there a way to pull that up again? I've searched for it but cannot find it.

Highlands is recruiting my son

That's right, Highlands is recruiting my son. Here is the proof that everyone needs. Here is how they are doing it. My son is 10 years old and a very good athlete. He goes to school every day and hears about the exploits of the Highlands players from his friends, they talk about it all day long, and have decided that they too will win a state championship when they get to Highlands. Then he goes to the games and is in awe of the things that happen before his eyes. He comes home and you can't get him in bed until you toss with him and he catches 100 passes, followed by ten straight without a drop. When he plays another sport, he wants to wear #5 like Hamblen, or #8 like Gino. He sometimes goes up to practice just to watch. One time he got into the weight room and I had to drag him out. He used to love basketball, baseball, and god forgive him, soccer. Now those are just things that you do when you can't get a football game together. Last winter several Highlands players came to the grade school to read to the kids. The player read about three chapters. That night I had to go to the library to get the book. It was something that a Highlands player liked; it had to be read NOW. We were considering sending him to a private school for high school but he won't hear of it. He says he will go to no school but Highlands. He has promised that if he is allowed to go there he will get all A's and will win three state championships. His last report card was all A's for the first time and when congratulated he said that's all I'll ever see if he goes to Highlands.

Highlands has recruited my son.

Anonymous